Who would you buy?

Mmmm I’ll bet he will break his neck in the hurry to come here so he finally can win something.

3 Likes

No doubt I’d take Kane.

There might not be a lot of options anymore for him. City have gone another way, maybe only United and Chelsea, who might have different targets in mind. He’ll have a year left now.

Conte might get Spurs back being a bit more competitive, but he should be also careful not t totally buy into that idea that suddenly they’ll win things they want to win.

If he’s at a stage now where it’s stay in England, break a few more goalscoring records and if playing CL football is okay for him, then fine.

2 Likes

I’d think he wants to win things, which is why the link isn’t utterly crazy.

1 Like

Has anybody actually watched 10 Tottenham games this season?

1 Like

That’s like telling the kids Santa :santa: don’t exist.

1 Like

I did, I did :innocent:

1 Like

Whole games :thinking:

Sitting in the pub chatting with mates, drinking a pint with half an eye on the TV :joy:

So, no?

How far is he from the England record? 4 or 5? If he comes here he’ll all of a sudden fall out of favour for England, struggle to get games and then might never get that record. Maybe he goes all out to break it in this summer’s games so he doesnt have to worry about that.

1 Like

I’d have Son from Spurs given the choice and actually saw a rumour to that affect. But I cast it aside as boooolocks because it is.

4 Likes

Why are we talking about Spurs players?

They got CL. Levy will price them out of moves. And whilst both Son and Kane are good enough people have spent most of the last two years worrying about the squad aging together. Kane will be 29 this summer, Son 30.

Never going to happen given what it’d cost and for players of that age.

6 Likes

Is 30 years old bad. Most players these days playing at a good level until they are about 34/35.

Apart from the individual risk of a player not settling quickly, or hitting their decline sooner than hoped for, if the core of the team or squad is ageing together then paying a large sum of money for a player to come into the squad and who is the same age doesn’t make much sense.

1 Like

I dont think this is really true, we just have a few high profile outlier cases that make it seem so. But in every generation we have these. In the previous generation we had Maldini, Giggs and Zanetti who all played into their 40s. Before them Vierchowod and Bergomi.

6 Likes

I’m always intrigued by Jonathan David, in terms of style, quality and ceiling. If he would be a good option for us.

I’m not really comfortable with the idea of Jota starting up top, at least not all the time. Perhaps more in smaller games when we need his finishing ability, but in more serious games we need someone who is active in both directions.

I expect Bobby to possibly play his final season next season.

Wouldn’t surprise me if a replacement for Mane isn’t really a left sided forward. Diaz and Jota can grab a lot of game time down that side, plus Jota can rotate between two positions.

I was delighted with Mane’s performances centrally in this second part of the season.

Maybe it’s time to get someone for that central area and also use Bobby’s last season here for the new player to at least see what he does.

Strategically speaking, maybe if the club thinks we’ll soon find ourselves without Salah and Mane, perhaps there might be a change to different wingers or wide forwards and then to move of a natural number 9.

But for now, as we don’t have a clue about that and possibly neither does the club, I’m counting on us keeping the same principles.

3 Likes

To add to @Limiescouse’s point, it’s just availability bias. Of course one could easily name many players who made it to that age at a decently high level, but if you track the careers of footballers as a whole, the vast majority are in serious decline, if not retired, by that age.

6 Likes

30 isn’t old, but if part of the issue we’re facing with Gini and Salah is not offering long lucrative contracts at the tail end of their career, then why would anyone think we’d offer Son or Kane a long lucrative contract at this point in their career?

It’s not impossible, but all signs point to no.

3 Likes

Son has only just signed a new contract with Spurs, so he’ll cost a fortune. It’s not happening.

1 Like

Don’t forget Amedeo Carboni