Who would you buy?

A few names that aren’t the normal run of the mill Bellingham etc shouts… I haven’t seen many of these guys play so this is just looking at their stats.

Centre Back
Arthur Theate - 22 - CB - Rennes
Rennes is one of the best talent development clubs in France so always worth a look. Theate ranks highly for his possession skills with progressive passing (4.18) and Progressive Carries (4.23). He also has a respectable 2.08 interceptions per game but ranks low is aerials challenges won (1.82) which would need significant improvement to nail down a place at Liverpool. As a left footed defender he would be an option to develop behind van Dijk.

Defensive Midfielders (6s)
Tom Krauss - 21 - DM - Schalke
Krauss is a German U21 international who came through Leipzig’s system and is currently playing his first full season at Bundesliga level. Through 896 minutes he leads the European top 5 leagues in tackles and interceptions (71) and is in the 70th percentile for pressures per game.

Centre Midfielders (8s)
Enzo Le Fee - 22 - CM - Lorient
Nicknamed “The French Verratti”, Le Fee is a complete midfielder in Ligue Un with high scores for stats in shot creating actions (4.24), Progressive Carries (6.27), Dribbles Completed (1.51), Pressures (21.66) and Tackles (3.31). His output is similar to that of Bruno Guimaraes before his move to Newcastle.

Kouadio Kone - 21 - CM - Monchengladbach
Could also be seen as a defensive midfielder but I think CM is his best role. Kone has a bit of a leggy style that makes his look a bit clumsy or out of control but actually his stats in possession are good for a young midfielder. He’s energetic (19.31 pressures per game) and is strong at both progressive carries (4.87) and Progressive Passes (4.71). He’s not really a goal threat but has potential with development to improve on his 1.58 shot creating actions. I see him as a powerhouse, but more defensive 8. Perhaps taking up that role Henderson would play a few years ago.

Maxence Caqueret - 22 - CM - Lyon
Another who it could be debated whether they are a 6 or an 8, Caqueret has excellent stats to support both roles despite a fairly diminutive stature at just 5’8". He tops the French league in pressures per game (25.9) and tackles (3.59) but also scores highly in possession with his progressive passes coming in the 90th percentile across Europe (5.86). Due to his size he is weak in the air, which means he’d be a CM option at Liverpool and could look to replace Thiago.

Alexis Mac Allister - 23 - CM - Brighton
Mac Allister has slowly moved backwards from CF to SS and now into a CM role where he has started to find his feet as a regular for Brighton. Statistically he doesn’t shine unlike the other options I’ve listed but he is solid all around, reaching 21.25 pressures per games, 4.48 progressive passes, 4.36 progressive carries and 2.36 shot creating actions. I have question marks over his physicality and pace but his solid stats and upcoming free agent status make him worth a look. He feels like an Adam Lallana regen to me.

Forward/Striker
Martin Terrier - 25 - LW - Rennes
Terrier was a statistical darling last season after a 21 goal campaign in Ligue Un. So far this campaign he is on course to beat his own tally having already managed 7 goals. Although usually deployed on the left he has started to come central more often and perhaps that’s where he shines the best managing 3.35 SCA, 3.46 progressive passes and 5.71 progressive carries from that position. His pace is electric and he’s a very hard worker, ranking in the 90th percentile for Tackles, Interceptions and Blocks among forward players. He’s also good in the air, winning 2.62 aerial challenges per game.

9 Likes

Thanks for the research and shouts here, much appreciated.

Kone seems to me like he has a good future.
MacAllister on a Bosman would be a good signing.

It will be interesting to see what we do.

Maybe we go to Brighton for three players - purchasing Caicedo, and getting MacAllister and Trossard on Bosman’s?

1 Like
1 Like

Le Fee sounds like someone’s next transfer record.

:joy:

Oh and smart move by Brighton to renew (or convince him to sign) Mac before the WC.

1 Like

What timing!

Yeah Le Fee looks excellent, at least statistically.

or pretend to throw at him to push his price up… :see_no_evil:

Gvardiol Is someone we should be looking at, he’s very good.

Zero. The gap between being a good prospect who is holding his own in training vs being a reliable players at this level is enormous. If they like him they will be planning a path to getting him more first team exposure, but they wont be passing up buys in expectation of him bridging that gap

2 Likes

Sounds like he has a clause…

2 Likes

If valid we should throw the kitchen sink at this one. He’s acclimatised to the PL and would be a nailed on starter for us

1 Like

100% he was listed statistically as the most like Thiago in all areas before he signed for Newcastle!

This guy is good as well

January move for 1 of these 2 should Inter fail to qualify in CL with a move for the other in summer. Let’s make this happen.

1 Like

What- are you going to organise a whip-round? :thinking:

1 Like

I’ve got a few things in mind.

What do we think about a cheeky bid for De Jong now Barca are out of the Champions League? Wages would need to change but I think he’d be a great addition.

1 Like

I think there’s more chance of us drawing Barca in the last 16 tbh.

Has he played much this season?

Not sure tbh, he is a very good midfielder though.

1 Like