Who would you buy?

If we get three midfielders, two of them will be injured after a month.

1 Like

You give them that long before getting injured?

So 4 or 5 it is then :thinking:

We usually get a couple of games to get our hopes up before they are assaulted by some Everton thug.

1 Like

Historically true, but we now also have to deal with refs assulting us as well

1 Like

And so called pundits calling us babies :baby:

Unless we are relegated we won’t be playing Everton

1 Like

A lot can happen in a year in football. Transfers working out or not, current players getting back to their level or dropping, young players developing or stagnating, team evolving in a certain way, etc. Let’s focus on this summer and leave the summer of 2024 for maybe halfway of next season.

1 Like

I’m convinced all we need is both Caicedo and Mac Allister and we’d be back to where we need to be. They are both excellent. Now would Brighton sell us both in the same window?

They probably would but it would take around £150m+.

Similar price to Bellingham but probably less on wages

We’re accelerating talks?

Does that mean that we sound like chipmunks now? :thinking:

4 Likes

I have this suspicion that Brighton are very very good at recruiting players that suit them and how they play almost perfectly but teams buying from them may find that the one player they purchase isn’t able to transfer those Brighton performances to that new team.

Reminds me of Southampton a few years back and quite a few other unfancied teams that put a good side together for a few years. The team was more than the sum of the parts and taking one part out and dropping them in somewhere else doesn’t result in those same performance levels coming with them.

Nothing really to back it up other than this nagging feeling Brighton are very good at recruiting for THEIR needs rather than recruiting great players. They’re exactly the kind of willing sellers that would fleece Spurs or United for a fortune whilst ushering in a replacement for a fraction of the fee knowing they’ll work perfectly for what they need.

2 Likes

Ready to get my heart broken. :grimacing:

Feel like it’s going to be three midfielders. Mount and Gravenberch two of them.

Not sure about the third.

Would rule out Gallagher because I doubt it’s going to be two Chelsea players.

Would also rule out the Brighton players because they are going to be very overpriced. On the way to Europe and one of them has a World Cup winners medal - so what.

To me it would be important to bring in three. The names are semi important. 90% of Klopp signings have been a success. Even Keita and Ox had their world class games before they were done by injuries.

I have made a similar point recently. Bissouma’s largely irrelevance at Spurs this season certainly adds to that feeling.

As hugely impressed as I have always been with Caicedo I am not completely convinced about his ability to go somewhere else and shine simply because of the role he plays there, in a side that is really well organized and everyone knows their role. You could see him going somewhere else, doing everything he does for Brighton, and having the fans go “is that it?” MacAlister has more to his game and so you could see that translating better to somewhere else (and after all, we’ve seen him look very good for Argentina as well) and so I am a little more convinced about him, even if I think it’s probably Caicedo who we need more right now.

1 Like

I think there is a lot of potential upside ready to be unlocked in Gravenberch. If he can get his confidence back, after a bit of a chastening experience at Bayern Munich - which probably came too soon to be fair - he could easily be an excellent midfield acquisition.

Screenshot-2023-04-13-220252

:thinking::nerd_face:

1 Like

I very nearly mentioned him but Kante and Mahrez showed some of that Leicester team could go elsewhere and their skills would still shine.