Who would you buy?

Reading most posts on here, that’s quite clearly false. Too many want what’s right for their ego and/or winning the transfer window.

I couldn’t give a shit who we sign or don’t sign, as long as the results are delivered.

1 Like

I think Matip leaves and we bring in the Van Dijk long term replacement.

Entertaining myself with people’s fantasies, most of the time.

Just find that kind of mindset absolutely daft though.

Not near as much as it’s been this season and I think you know that…that’s you shying away from the unprecedented dilemma we find ourselves in.

This time last year the noises weren’t half as loud, maybe a tweak needed here and there to patch up on what was a brilliant season…now it’s words like “surgery”, “reinvent”, “overhaul” being spoken of.

While you could argue that wanting big signings or certain signings are misguided because we don’t have the future vision of the team that the management have…nobody here wants to “win the transfer window”. That’s just a blanket statement.
From our limited vantage points we argue that this player or that would be ideal to fix our woes and as human beings we despair when we aren’t doing well. And yea hindsight is always 20:20

BUT THAT’S WHAT FOOTIE FORUMS ARE ABOUT!

3 Likes

Never played Fantasy Football and hung up my :video_game: when Klopp came in and we started to compete for stuff in real life.

So :shushing_face:

Why would I be “shying away” from anything? I’m not the DoF. I’d buy a whole new midfield and never play Hendo or Fabinho again - but its not going to happen. I don’t think Klopp has given up on them.

3 Likes

It’s not false at all, that’s you getting your knickers in a twist.

Sometimes people find different ideas in their minds on how to arrive to that point where we all want to be…some more out of reach than others granted, but it’s all done from a good place.

People don’t need to be put down, dismissed, laughed at begrudgingly for these reasons.

2 Likes

If he was healthy he would have had plenty of football. He doesnt need a loan to get that, he just needs to sort out his body. Even if we didnt think he was ready to perform at this level I couldnt see us offloading that responsibility for his health to another club, but we clearly do think he’s that level of player.

3 Likes

Hmm.

It’s an interesting one then, if you’re right with what you say what more would it take for Klopp to lose faith…courage etc in them?

There was a short period before they ended up injured where both Fab and Hendo were dropped & he’d opted for a midfield of Bajcetic Thiago and Harvey/Naby.

Good for you if that’s what you believe.

I wasn’t referring to you.

Maybe you just can’t handle the truth about your own intentions.

Look at precisely what you said. If we sign three Bosmans who turn out to be amazing, what does that say about the club ambitions?

So much talk about how much we can spend, how we need to spend more, ignoring the fact that essentially every single top 10 midfielder by price has flopped completely.

These are the people who would have been criticising the signing in 2017 of a left-back who cost only £8m.

1 Like

You don’t need to be referring to me. You can discuss something with cogent arguments instead of lashing out at people. Brings the mood of the whole thread down

1 Like

It scared me that he got called up by England U21s for that reason. They don’t exactly have a history of caring about individual recovery programmes. In fairness to them it seems they did what the club asked (he played twice in 4 days but less than 90 minutes across both with 1 start and 1 sub appearance).

2 Likes

Unsurprisingly I don’t care.

This thread is at its best when there are cogent arguments about how a player would fit in here or not, which player is just a flash in the pan and which player is the real deal. I come here for interesting insights from the likes of @Sweeting, not spoilt little kids throwing their toys out of the pram just because the club doesn’t spend the amount they want regardless about the actual quality of the player.

You chose to jump in on my criticism of the focus on how much is being spent as an indicator of the quality of our transfer window, that’s on you if you think that brings the mood of the thread down, because it’s completely irrelevant to the thread to begin with, except insofar as to who is affordable.

1 Like

That’s not criticism, that’s acting like a petulant child.

I agree with your point about amount of money being spent. We have to spend within our means. If we can’t compete because we are being outspent that’s another discussion. And FSG can and I believe will do what they think is best for the club as practically speaking they wouldn’t want all the value they’ve built up in their asset to diminish.

Gravenberch and Mount are underwhelming from the outside when Ugarte, Khepram Thuram are out there

Well, bar for Matip and Adrian to a certain extent, I can’t remember any other bosmans that can be qualified as a runaway success in recent memory…I stand corrected on this…

As for the signing of a particular left-back in 2017, his only competition is Alberto Moreno. Yes, that Alberto Moreno that fucked up the UEL finals for us. So any new signing that can replace Moreno wasn’t even moaned too much at that time. The bar was really really low.

Isn’t it possible though that we’ve considered/enquired about those players and either:

1. Klopp has said he’s not interested
  2. The laptop boys have said they don’t suit the system
  3. The clubs they are are at have told us to f off
  4. Gravenberch and Mount may be nothing more than rumours

Yes, all we have to go off is rumours, but even something in the Guardian or Times doesn’t guarantee anything.

As this is the Who would you buy thread, then any discussion about any player shouldn’t be off limits, but it’s always worth framing things in the context of reality.

Saying I would buy Ugarte or Thuram is very different to saying the club needs to spend 100m on a given player just as a sign of ambition, which is what I think redalways was suggesting (apologies if not) or suggesting that the club would be doing the wrong thing in signing Gravenberch over one of these

For me the facts are that the ‘race’ for Bellingham is still on and this is all just part of it, the links to other players are all as likely true as not true, and we may still sign somebody that no journo has come up with yet.

3 Likes

Yeah, we were all really eager to replace Moreno. And that is the point. Are you really being honest in what your reaction was to only bringing in a cheap recently relegated Scott as his potential replacement?

2 Likes

As I recall most people were hoping for Chilwell or Hector.

2 Likes