Who would you buy?

I agree with this, with the possible caveat that the Saudis might want him. If it’s another team I don’t hold out any hope for much of a fee.

Agreed. I hate it when people arbitrarily declare there will be enough games without looking at the numbers.

52 games * 3 midfielders * 90 = 14040 minutes

Fabinho, Mac Allister and Szoboszlai all played >3500 minutes last year. Thiago had ~1500 and Henderson had 2500 which adds up to >14500 minutes (too much already). Since this already exceeds the available minutes we will definitely be decreasing minutes somewhere.

But that would still leave us with nothing for Elliott, Jones and Bajcetic when ideally they should get 1000 to 1500 minutes each.

Based on the above, we should be selling at least one midfielder and sending at least one midfielder (Elliott?) out on loan.

If we buy a DM, we should be sending two out on loan and selling one.

Wondering where you’re getting those minutes from, because I don’t see those three players playing that many. Looks closer to 8500 unless you’re throwing in international matches as well?

Bearing in mind that Bajcetic and Elliott (who may see more action in the RW position) were overplayed last year and we want to be reducing Fabinho, Hendo and Thiago’s involvement while perhaps gradually phasing in other players as they get used to the system, there is probably scope to add an additional player such as Lavia.

I’m comfortable either way. If there’s a deal to made now and the money is available then great. If we think we’ll have enough with Mac and Szoboszlai then I can see that working too.

1 Like

Last season

Fabinho: 49 games, 3539 mins
Henderson: 43 games, 2558 mins
Elliott: 46 games, 2267 mins
Thiago: 28 games, 1963 mins
Milner: 43 games, 1285 mins
Jones: 23 games, 1175 mins
Bajcetic: 19 games, 931 mins
Ox: 13 games, 493 mins
Keita: 13 games, 488 mins

For some reason the page I was looking at doesn’t include UEFA competitions. Very odd.

So I agree, as it stands there doesn’t look to be enough minutes to go round if we buy a 3rd midfielder unless we sell or loan someone.

1 Like

He told us everything actually.

“Looking at all areas of the pitch”.

Could end up like that, if we count Szoboszlai as someone who is viewed both as a midfielder and attacking player.

Could happen if Kelleher still leaves this summer. But surely in our preparation at least, we must have a list of goalies if Kelleher really leaves.

1 Like

We have pitaluga coming up. He’ll do the job as a third choice keeper. Kelleher needs to leave for his career and Pitaluga will be counted as homegrown come December. Goalkeepers are the least of our concerns.

Yeah, it’s not a concern. But it was reported if Kelleher was to leave, we would bring in a senior goalkeeper. Adrian to remain as 3rd choice.

2 Likes

Left sided center back in Goncalo Inacio. Comfortable on the ball, great passing range, can tackle and defend. Get it done FSG!

1 Like

I would like to get another midfielder and left side central defender in , midielder for the defensive side no 6, either thuram, kone or lavia, if we are playing the 3 2 2 3 formation next season, with trent as a shoe in as part of the two defensive mids, im torn of who we should sell out of the old guard because i think one of the 3 will need to go, The old guard midfield of hendo thiago and fab will only be available for the 2 defensive mid positions in my opinion, as they have not got the energy to play further forward, out of the 3 i would sell fab, because if trent gets injured i think thiago is a perfect replacement for that deep lying playmaker role, and hendo could do that aswell and also fill in on other positions aswell, a bit like the james milner of the team going forward.

Not sure there’s much point getting a 6 in unless they are a clear starter, ie. Need to be a clear improvement on the 4 who will seemingly be fighting for that spot now. If not then it just means 5 fighting for it, which in my mind won’t have a major impact. Still if we’re feeling flush and decide to plump for Caicedo I’ll be very happy. Would prob mean Thiago or Fab chipping off tho.

1 Like

Probably Hendo and Fabi will play last 30 m to rest our new midfielder.

Think Alex Mac and Szobo are already game changer for us.

Don’t care who the other teams sign - if we’re lucky with injuries we will challenge City for the title.

Doubt Lavia or another DM would come in and be a straight starter. Might take until new year like when Fab came in.

Similar with a new CB. Would come in and compete with Matip and Gomez for third choice.

Believe we will in for the best CB available in summer 2024. Wish Gvardiol would stay for another season (cunt!)

Would actually prefer right-back cover as the next signing.

FIFY.

4 Likes

I’m not sure if anyone has pointed this out yet, but this summer’s two additions are simply replacing two who have left.
Keita out Macca in
Ox out Szobos in

Bobby’s replacement was bought in January and Milly’s is Hendo.

So who is Hendo’s replacement? :thinking:

1 Like

Good question

3 Likes