Who would you buy?

Looks like the kids are saving us a fortune and not many new signings in the summer.

• a CB even if Matip signs a one year extension

• maybe a CM (#8 / Thiago replacement)

Guess the rest depends on Salahs future.

1 Like

So you’d have six centre backs on the books?

Why not?

With the new CL format there will be even more games.

Matip (if he stays) coming from injury and with his age will play a small part (domestic cup matches against non PL teams.

Gomez will be needed at RB and LB too.

And like with most young players it wouldn’t be a surprise if Quansah struggles (form and injuries) in the second senior year.

So yes, I would definitely look at a LCB.

1 Like

Other than at CB I’d be happy using the young lads for squad depth.Weather or not Matip stays for another season I’d like to see use bring in a replacement for him who would be in their early to mid 20,s.

1 Like

Thiago hasn’t played this season and we are doing fine and Bajcetic will return next season.

Alexis, Endo, Bajcetic and Trent if needed for the #6

Think we might need a new midfielder to add to the group of Dom, Harvey, Curtis, Gravenberch.

The kids are going to save us a bomb. Quansah and Bradley have been a revelation and haven’t let anyone down. Both deserve a spot in the squad.

As for departures, I think we should part company with Thiago in summer - smashing player, but not available nearly enough. We should also part company with Matip - excellent Bosman, has been a very good defender for us. Injury at the worst possible time, and his loss was Quansah’s gain. It all moves on.

Arguably we give Matip a modest extension, not so much to play, but to get fit, get in the shop window, and move on with our best wishes. If some sort of arrangement like that happens, where we are good to a player who may get caught betwixt and between, then helping him out just adds to the greatness of Liverpool Football Club as far as I’m concerned.

Signings?

Tough to say. A central defender to replace Matip. Ideally someone who can make a strong case to play right away, and be a long term successor to Virg. The group would be VVD, Konate, New Man, Quansah, with Gomez being seen as more of a back up full back, or a fifth choice central defender in a pinch.

Midfield? I’m not sure we need one, even in a post Thiago world. On second thoughts maybe one more, since we play a high intensity game, so they will all see plenty of action. I’m hoping Bajcetic comes back into the group and makes a case for himself too, after a very promising start before injury.

Striker? All depends on Mo.

2 Likes

I’ve long been of opinion that we need a proper centre back and a top quality defensive midfielder. Maybe I should reserve my judgement until the end of the season but a lot of it stems from watching Rice and especially Rodrigo, who’s slowly turning out to be the best signing of Guardiola’s era in Man City.

I wonder if Klopp signed Endo with a view to giving Bajčetić time and every chance to stake his claim to become a first teamer in this side. Bajčetić doesn’t look closer to returning from injury, though, you have to wonder what might have been for him this season when you look at Quansah and Bradley.

I love to see all these kids coming through and you make a good point that with him fit and progressing, a new (defensive) midfielder might not be needed (even without taking Trent’s floating role into account or Alcantara’s imminent departure, we have six relatively senior players for three midfield positions).

That said, a lot will depend on whether Mac Allister can continue improving in that role, given it’s still a new one for him. Klopp even suggested that it’s obvious that he plays much better when the team around him is compact, with a hint of dry humour about it. So, maybe another centre back wouldn’t go amiss but that new guy might be Van Den Berg for all I care, he seems to be doing well at Mainz.

3 Likes

Considering how the youngsters have come to the fore in Quansah , Bradley , Clark… The club might just be looking at Chambers for the CB role.

I do think that Liverpool is churning out better talent in the youth department ever since the academy and the first teamers started training at the same facility.

2 Likes

I might be being a bit premature, but to be honest I just don’t see where a new signing fits in. Throw Bradley, Quansah, and Clark into the mix (as Klopp might wish to) and I’m not seeing the space.

2 Likes

They only spots we’ll need to fill over the year should be replacements for Kelleher,Matip and Salah if/when they go.

2 summers ago, LFC should have started their search on Mo Salah’s successor. By now, Klopp and his team would have known who should succeed Mo Salah.

Absolutely need another CB, preferably a left footed one that will eventually be a Virg successor. This assumes Matip moves on. I’d also like to see a proper #6, but less concerned about that. Obviously we will need a Mo replacement at some point, so buying someone in the summer makes sense whether or not Mo departs this summer, unless we feel Doak is that player. I’d like to see Doak on the left at some point personally. I believe we’ll want someone left footed on the right.

What’s to say they don’t know who the new signing will be?

I would be shocked if the variables have not been, and continue to be, processed.

Mo leaves in the summer of 2024? This is choice 1, 2, 3… I’d be confident the club already knows this.

Mo signs an extension? It kicks the can down the road another year or two. At that point we will still have options in mind, and will possibly even have choices 1, 2, and 3… but two years is a long way off, and lots of things can change, so we will continue to be vigilant.

1 Like

This season’s resurgence notwithstanding, Gomez should not be in the top 4 on the CB depth chart.

Gomez is looking great as a utility player. That’s not to be underrated. Milner sorted out all sorts of problems. My only issue with him over the years has been his fitness.

4 Likes

Agree with this. Klopp doesn’t really sell players so unless someone asks to move I think we will make minimal moves in the summer. Of course we could upgrade on Quansah, Endo and either Diaz/Gakpo but finding those players will be difficult and they would cost a bomb.

I think the summer will be contract renewal time for a few players…

Gomez was excellent against Newcastle when Virg got sent off and can still do a job at CB

2 Likes

To me, replacing VVD the CB is not as difficult as replacing VVD the leader in CB. Whether or not a CB is the captain, we always need a CB who can marshal the defence. As good as Konate looks, he is not the leader type so we need to look properly when we get the next “VVD”, it will not just be a CB.

It will be incredibly difficult to replace Mo from a like to like perspective. The team will have an extensive list of players being scouted. But Mo’s become one of the talisman’s of the Liverpool team.

It’s difficult trying to get someone who is on the level Mo was when he was at Roma and Mo’s improved massively since then too.

I do hope Mo signs an extension to his contract for another 2 years providing us more of an opportunity to scout or develop his replacement. Had high hopes for Doak but his development has taken a hit with that injury.