Who would you buy?

some things dont need overthinking.

We need to replace this dead topic with the much more exciting ‘Which Club Would You Buy?’.

1 Like

Any Leverkusen players we should be looking at?

Wirtz is an elite talent but don’t think we need him.

2 Likes

My first feeling is that we won’t be eyeing any.

No doubt there will be the lazy “Xabi will bring half of Leverkusen with him to Liverpool”, same was said of Klopp when he left Dortmund and we brought zero players from there. From a more talented squad also.

All that is worth going for at Leverkusen is not really what we need. Potentially a defender and perhaps something in forward areas if Salah leaves. But of course, we’ll see what the manager thinks (if it is Xabi).

2 Likes

I will be surprised if we have any major signing this summer. A CB maybe.

1 Like

Bring back SVDB.

2 Likes

Van den Berg to replace Matip.

He’ll do a fine job as the 5th choice CB. Even if Matip gets offered a new contract , we can still use VDB considering Matip / Gomez and their injury prone nature.

VVD , Konate , Quansah , Gomez and VDB

Might well be worth a shot getting Chambers a look in as well as a LCB / LB especially if Xabi wants to go in with 3 at the back.

1 Like

The next season is probably one where we don’t really need many signings. Maybe a replacement for Salah if he were to leave.

We’ve got some exciting youngsters coming in who would require more gametime.

Plus Bajcetic who will most likely be fit enough for the coming season.

Sometimes I think this is the best time to capitalise. Not sure what form that would take but a 80M luxury buy may be just the thing! Will depend on who comes in….

1 Like

Given the current state of the squad, I would rather have two £40m players than one £80m player.

Or four £20m players.

1 Like

Before the emergence of Conor Bradley, I thought Frimpong might be someone we would go for, assuming Alonso comes in. Not so sure now.

A lot will depend on exits. Presumably Thiago will be off, but we are already so deep in midfield we won’t need someone else.

Presumably Matip will be off. Could bring Sepp back, or we might go for a left footer to play three at the back? Lloyd Kelly with the new Bournemouth connection? His contract expires in the summer and he could be a judicious freebie. Or maybe Hincapie, at a tidy sum, or Inacio?

We have been linked with a new left back too, Ait Nouri. Very good player. Either Robbo or Tsimikas will be off if we do that.

Beyond that, it’s hard to know what Mo will want to do. Hopefully he stays and signs an extension too.

I fully expect the new man to make at least a couple of changes, even if we have a great squad.

1 Like

As I said it likely depends on whoever is coming in.

I feel really relaxed about our squad. There is no obvious gap, and there is backup for almost all positions.

2 Likes

Any half decent manager should able to work with the squad we have. To many changes in the first season would put him under unnecessary pressure.

So unless Salah leaves there will be very few new signings.

Surely there will be ‘winners/losers’ under the new manager but no reason to ‘run’ away in the summer already.

I havent seen as much of him as I’d like to have, but everything I have read about him is the same as I was reading about Havertz when he was at Leverkusen. That is a terrible reason to not want him, especially as Kai himself is sneakily coming good at Arsenal, but it does give me the shudders.

1 Like

Similar zone of operating on the pitch, but different players. I liked Havertz at Leverkusen and I also like Wirtz now, even more. Havertz is one of those players’ players that people within football obviously rate more than a good portion of fans in last years.

Not impossible if we move for what we might consider a player with a top ceiling like Wirtz, but we do already have a few players that might do more or less what he does really well in their own way.

We’ll just have to see first who the new guy is and what’s the idea, structure, formation, etc. A complete copy/paste of all of that simply impossible even if the new guy would want to do it.

Principles of play and plain simply putting it into practice in the most difficult league/schedule in the world, with expectation to compete/win will be key, the rest like formations is less important.

Yeah, I think that transfers will mostly be dictated by who wants to leave (Kelleher perhaps, while Salah’s, Van Dijk’s and Trent’s contract situations are still unresolved), rather than by immediate necessity to recruit players in positions the team is short in. At this point, there aren’t many holes in the squad but plans will have to be made for players are in their early thirties.

To be honest, if I was a young, new manager of this Liverpool side, I’d probably look to keep the majority of that budget intact in my first transfer window. The way things stand, I’d definitely invest in a centre back - unless the new coaching staff think Van Den Berg is good enough and he himself decides to stick around and see what the new manager has in plans for him.

2 Likes

I’ve seen a few articles mention Leverkusen’s supposed interest in Luke Chambers last summer. He went on loan to Wigan this January. I found that Klopp refused to let him go in the summer, wanting to keep a lot of the U21’s together. If we do hire Alonso, I guess we might see him being groomed to cover LB.

Why are so many people worried about Salah’s contract situation, didn’t he sign a long term (4-5 year) contract 18 months back?

If my maths are correct, then that would mean he still has 3-4 years remaining