Who would you buy?

Don’t know about Matip, but Nat must be really weak/poor in LCB. Kabak used to play RCB alongside Fabinho but he was moved to LCB after he was partnered with Nat.

Then in the Fabinho & Kabak partnership, we moved Fabinho back to RCB in their last games together.

But Fabinho at LCB when partnered with Matip or Phillips. Seems Matip and Phillips at LCB is very low down on the options list.

Yes, that was at the start when we probably thought Fabinho will cover that more difficult side for a right footer as long as he’s needed at CB. Then we flipped Kabak to that side and he tried to do his best, sometimes better, sometimes worse.

Fabinho also had some little issues playing there and looked better when he was moved to RCB.

It’s not black and white. We had way too many partnerships, changes of sides, different types of performances from individuals and as a team.

But some cases are clear, IF we have to play the likes of Phillips and Rhys, it’s obvious where it’s easier for them at the moment.

With Matip we don’t know yet because he’s only played RCB for us. I hated it when Lovren used to play LCB when partnered with either Matip or Gomez.

2 Likes

Of course Matip could play on the left. It’s a slight shift over.

Over thinking something very basic here.

2 Likes

LCB has been an issue for some time now. VvD has masked it by never missing games till now but all our other CB options (apart from never used Davies) are much better and more comfortable as RCBs. As are the most likely CBs we might buy according to reliable links (Konate and Kabak). That’s why I’m expecting us to return for one of our January targets (who nearly all seemed LCB options) and bam out of nowhere a deal for someone like Caleta-Car or Botman will be completed without warning, Fabinho/Jota/Tsimikas style.

I was also guessing/hoping that, it’s why I was initially disappointed when Lovren played LCB when partnered with Matip (for a big part of 16/17 par example). But it didn’t happen yet. Not saying he couldn’t do it.

As long as Virgil is here and fit, I don’t see such a prolific clear LCB (backup) option. We’ll probably continue playing another right footer there like Gomez par example or get ourselves a cheaper lefty. I think we are fine, though we don’t have a lot of sample, that’s true. The main priority at the moment and for some time is to get someone who can be more consistently good and available for longer periods at RCB alongside Virgil. I don’t care who that is. Konate (who looks like will be our next “hope”), Matip, Gomez, someone completely out of the blue and never mentioned so far.

1 Like

Lovren was fancied as a left sided CB though. Rodgers had even said he can’t just switch over to the right. Nonsense, of course, he was a similar player in both positions.

A centre back as good on the ball as Matip (and generally complete overall) is not going to have any great difficulty moving over. If we’re saying Rhys Williams can do it, I think it’s a safe bet to say Matip can too.

2 Likes

Botman and Konate would be fantastic. And it covers all bases. Presently and future… I’m just not totally convinced we would buy both.
Botman is too good to play behind VVD. And I don’t think we would move VVD to RCB to partner Botman.

Konate with Kabak makes some sense though… As Kabak would clearly be a backup… And back up to both RCB and LCB.
Also when fit Gomez can play LCB too. He was doing it before his injury earlier this season after VVD went down… So there is some options to give VVD a rest when all our CBs are back.
Setbacks to our returning CBs could change everything. Some big decisions would have to be made.

With no CL on the horizon. There is no doubt player recruiting will be affected.

Even a player like Suarez won’t come back without us in CL. Remember its one of the reasons he wanted to leave in his first stint here. I am sure he would want to experience our Special nights with crowd back… But we won’t be in it.

This is a very tough summer window coming up.

But you know what, Man City has a lot of sub players who are too good to play behind their starters.

2 Likes

Why behind him surely beside him? :joy::joy:

2 Likes

I think some are being too over optimistic of VvD being able to play every minute of every game again from the very start of next season. I think some are also not appreciating that VvD isn’t a natural LCB.

Loads of technically accomplished right footed CBs end up used as LCBs because they are technical enough to overcome the challenges and there are fewer left footed CBs. I’ve always believed right footed LCBs can play RCB very easily with only minor adaptation whereas not so many right footed RCBs can play left or left footed LCBs play on the right.

VvD plays LCB simply because he’s so damn good he can still shine on his naturally weaker side. He’d still be best CB in the world on the right and may even be more comfortable and effective. Certainly not a switch I’d be worried about making.

But fitness wise VvD isn’t guaranteed to be ready to play from the off next season, he could well need to be phased back in to get back up to speed over a few weeks or even months. Even when fully fit and up to speed it probably wouldn’t be smart to start playing him into the ground again like we did.

If we are bringing in Konate like rumoured him and VvD could be a great partnership if it works out. But VvD won’t be able to play all the time or at least shouldn’t. There are also major concerns over Konate injury wise, VvD could well end up playing on the right a lot to cover games he misses. I don’t see someone like Botman or Caleta-Car being a “back up” or anything. I mean who was the back up over Gomez and Matip? They both played loads, as much as possible nearly, both spending time on the bench here and there for the other but not much.

I think VvD will be back roughly at start of the season getting up to speed during first third of the season. Gomez maybe a little after that. Matip will be back sometime shortly before his next injury if he’s still with us (not guaranteed, he might want to move on himself if he sees he’s dropping down the pecking order).

I think there are reasons and reasonable ones, as to why we went so hard on LCBs this January. I don’t think we’d have signed one just to provide emergency short-term cover whilst VvD was injured. There would have been an appreciation of a long term role and plan for that player. I don’t think anything that has happened since changes that plan and open role.

1 Like

We aren’t city… And we don’t spend money like them.

Lovren looked better to me at RCB (or CB in general under Klopp) when he played with Sakho and then especially in 2018 with Virgil on the road to Kiev. That was probably the best Lovren played for us. I didn’t like him at LCB especially under Rodgers.

But yeah, I agree, I think Matip should be able to do it, that’s why I say I was disappointed he wasn’t moved there instead of Lovren. Would be interesting to hear the reasons why Matip never went to LCB under Klopp.

Rhys is probably more comfortable than Nat of the two and that’s mainly the reason why it happens when you have two right footers. There’s the odd example at United when Rio was RCB and Vidic was LCB.

For the record. I’m not opposed to bringing in both a Konate and Botman.

Was concerned how it would work… If it can. Then I’m all for it.

If that were to happen. Matip should really move on. (Would help finance the moves above) And also don’t sign back Kabak.

VVD Konate Botman Gomez and Phillips… With Fabinho as emergency does look very good.

2 Likes

Maybe that’s the plan for next season. Spare VVD whenever Matip is available (10-15 games) and make Gomez and the new CB to fight for a starting berth. Still sad to let Kabak go :sob:

As things stand I think it’s basically:

Konate & Virgil

Matip & Gomez

But of course, that position alongside Virgil will remain “up for grabs”. We’d still have to see how Konate does immediately and if he needs time to settle. If that’s the case, then if both Matip and Gomez are in normal fitness/form, I think Matip has the little advantage.

1 Like

I am right footed and I have played CB over here in the Netherlands when I was young at a reasonable amateur level and I could not care less. I just looked who came my way and thought: you are mine.

Matip could do the same.