Women's Football: General Discussions

Poor Girl… Hat-trick of own goals within the first 36mins

Hmm. So that’s how Robertson practice shooting. :thinking:

Who exactly is the petition aimed at, their own club?
Surely Chelsea womens team are owned by Chelsea football club, so it’s up to the club to try and make sure the pitch is playable?

Yup, they own that ground.

Bit of history as it actually doesn’t put Wimbledon in the best of lights but it was Kingstonian’s ground, they shared for a time with Wimbledon while they fought to get a ground at plough lane.

Wimbledon then bought the ground and sold it to Chelsea, Kingstonian had to move, Chelsea have owned it for at least three years now so not sure why they didn’t do anything about it before. Kingstonian meanwhile play out at Tolworth which is at least sort of in Kingston.

Evidently someone tried to force that game on for whatever reason as even the ref said it was unplayable at 9.30am

1 Like

Does Prenton Park have undersoil heating? The last time I was there the pitch was a wreck. I believe the relayed it at some point.

1 Like

A fair few lower down don’t, the League program below the Championship was a wreck (worst I’ve seen it in sometime) and yet Scotland was generally ok even on the east.

1 Like

Not sure how many, but quite a few Scottish teams have artificial grass pitches

1 Like

Certainly in the lower leagues. Before they got the plastic pitch I think I had been to more Stenhousemuir games that were cancelled than actually went ahead.

Seems to part explain it not fully.

Probably more undersoil up there as well.

So aparently, only 4 of the WSL teams have undersoil heating at their main home grounds, City, Utd, Leicester and Reading.

Dispite our womens team and the youth teams playing at Prenton Park for a fair number of years, we have never bothered to assist them in getting undersoil heating - personally I think that is pretty poor from the club and is something that should be addressed.

I was also surprised that Leicester Women actually play regularly at King Power and only move if their games class with the mens team - maybe something for other clubs to start considering?

1 Like

They have done something at Prenton Park. Article here about it:
https://sglsystem.com/EN/news/1207/from-muddy-goalmouths-to-one-of-the-best-pitches-in-the-league

In early 2020, just before the Covid lockdown, it was in a hideous state - there’s a picture in the link although it was worse when I saw it then. Whether the glow lights are as good as under-pitch heating is another question. I suspect not although it is maybe sufficient for 99% of weather conditions.

In terms of funding Tranmere for the upkeep of the pitch, I don’t know whether that is included with the amount we pay for use of the stadium but it is entirely in our interest to make sure that our women and youth players have the best facilities available.

1 Like

Speaking of which, does anyone know if Anfield was sold out for the derby?

I wanted to go up for that match, but accommodation was a nightmare.

Just been on my lunch break, and had the misfortune to be subjected to televised highlights of Celtic v Glasgow City.
Jesus, my local amateur team would beat either of those two.
Appalling standard of football on display.

On par with Scottish football in general then?

Pretty much.
Having said that, the standard of English womens football is pretty dire too

1 Like

Well the women’s World Cup is getting huge publicity here in Oz and it will be a great event. It helps that our team the Matilda’s are pretty good.

When I was a lad the girls barely played. Now when I watch the elite youth squads train they are decent and women’s football can only get better at senior level in future.

I also coach a woman’s team so may be biased in this thread.

1 Like

To be fair they are playing catch up considering the FA banned them for playing for 55 years.

Up to that point you had a woman’s team that sold out grounds that the men’s didn’t.

2 Likes

one of our regulars on TIA had a daughter playing football at Stanford U if I remember correctly?

one of my friends is president of a local youth football club with 2500 players. Am checking to see what that M/F ratio looks like out of curiosity. her oldest daughter was playing for Whitecaps FC and on scholarship at UBC. I went to watch a couple of her games when she was still in high school, the talent level of women in the sport is increasing dramatically and it’s good to see.

*** edit ***

M/F ratio for players at the club is 60/40. for volunteers, coaches and managers is 50/50. Impressive numbers in terms of equality.

2 Likes

I have zero interest in womens football, but this tickled me.

1 Like