Women's Football: General Discussions

:person_facepalming:

2 Likes

Unless I read that wrong, the article seem to answer their own question with the City example, which imo says they are paid too much for the product they provide (from an economic pov). The main thing that irritates me and has put me off watching womens football is the complaining about equality.

That’s quite the bullshit excuse though? If you don’t invest the resources that mens’ football has had historically into womens’ football, then you wouldn’t see the commensurate returns.

1 Like

How much do wages make up of a PL club’s turnover? On average somewhere around 50-60%, right?

I bet the England women’s players don’t get anywhere like 50% of the turnover generated for the FA from their games.

1 Like

I’m talking from the club pov, not from the international perspective as I haven’t seen any numbers. It seems at this time at a club level the game is being subsidized, which I agree with up to the point of “subsidize us, and give us more”. The point should be reinvesting into the game, and then increasing the salaries if the economics support it.

To take the economic behemoth of mens market and then compare yourself to it is ridiculous imo.

I agree with that, I don’t agree that you get to be subsidized and ask for more salary. The more salary/equitable prize money compared to the mens game is out of touch with reality. As far as prize money from a % vs the mens %, ok that’s fine.

DPR Korea (North Korea) :north_korea: is ranked 10th in the world :exploding_head:. I know they spend a lot in sports and have their own brand of sportswashing, but this is a great achievement.

1 Like

Watching Japan vs Ghana, U20 Women’s World Cup live on one our local channels.

It really pains me to see the almost empty stands. :sob: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

1 Like

The last mens under 20 world cup was only averaging around 7000 a game. No reason to think it would be even close to that

Yeah, anything off the mainstream gets very little attention.

Yeh, just like watching a City game at the Etihad.

308044299_2984713848493943_2369512930010955810_n

Bangladesh women’s team has won the South Asian championship. In isolation, it will seem like a small achievement. But considering the financial, social, and whatever possible odds they have faced, it’s a momentous achievement.

Keep walking, even if you are alone. :clap: :palms_up_together: :fist:

7 Likes

It’s time the broadcasters start showing some of these games. The regional networks here are showing fucking meaningless games or repeats during this break.

3 Likes

@Dutch explain yourself!

This is basically jumpers for goalposts sneakily being too small…except the women’s CL. Tsk tsk tsk

This is really fucked up

1 Like

There is alot of turmoil in Spain’s Women’s National team. There are some of the best players in the world in that squad.

1 Like

There were some troubles in their (Spanish) Women’s League too.

Always enjoy listening to her speak on TS - very thoughtful and knowledable about the game - both women’s football and in general. So wish her all the best and hope she makes a speedy recovery

6 Likes

Sports Personality of the Year 2022: Beth Mead crowned winner - BBC Sport

England and Arsenal forward Beth Mead has been voted BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2022.

Mead starred at this summer’s Euro 2022, where she helped the Lionesses to glory at Wembley, England’s first ever major women’s football trophy.

The 27-year-old becomes the first women’s footballer to win the award.

In a public vote, England Test captain Ben Stokes was second and Eve Muirhead, who led Team GB to curling gold in the Winter Olympics, came third.

Athlete Jake Wightman, seven-time snooker world champion Ronnie O’Sullivan and gymnast Jessica Gadirova were also shortlisted for the award.

“I’m speechless for once,” said Mead.

1 Like

“I wouldn’t have done it without my dad, my mum and my family.”

Errr… you wouldn’t be here without your dad and mum.

1 Like