Alexis MAC ALLISTER: 2023/24

This summer actually, comes from playing with cheap old fuckers, vintage Puma Kings. I would never wear them here in the summer, ground can get so hard even firm ground studs feel like they are being driven into your foot. Metal soft ground cleats must be like nails.

Polyurethane soles/studs can be a harder material than steel/aluminium - lethal really.

Yeah, getting those goddamn blades across the toe can be brutal

1 Like

theyā€™re dumping millions upon millions into turf fields around here. itā€™s crazy, my kids league sent us a message that they want the kids wearing cleats and I just laughed. he wears turfs. no fucking chance heā€™s playing on turf in cleats at 9yo. asking for knee surgery.

my last team of 15y, we used to play at 10am Sunday on a great grass pitch but we had too many youth coaches in our squad. so we moved to a Friday night schedule which worked for the players, but on turf. Suddenly we had guys getting injured far more often, lower back and ankle and knee. And my team arenā€™t mugs, thereā€™s some quality in our squad. But I lasted 5yrs on turf and Iā€™d had enough. Then covid happened and it killed the league. what used to be 3 divisions of 40+ dissolved into one. when the pandemic ended, they changed to over-35 which didnā€™t suit the age of our players which average about 50 at this point, up to 58. Team is still going but last year at that age group before it changes leagues. I may go back if they move to over-50.

Weird, why do they want kids playing in cleats on turf? Heck, I have worn my turf shoes on late July grass in past years, though the fields have been better in the past few years.

Most leagues were hit hard by covid, and still havenā€™t recovered. In part, that is because a lot of the 11-a-side leagues playing under Canada Soccer were already in structural decline, and a couple of years off was sort of the end for a lot of players. My league is now even looking at over-60 divisions, meanwhile under 35 Rec is withering away because that demographic is overwhelmingly playing the seven-a-side game on turf.

But we digressā€¦

so we play FVSL Div 1, which I guess you could say is the rural league for the suburbs outside of the actualy City of Vancouver. VMSL is the league for Burnaby, Vancouver, Richmond and north shore.

many of the teams migrated to VMSL due to it being a better run league. where as they used to have 1-2 div of masters (over-40) itā€™s now grown to 3 divisions

thereā€™s also a modified masters league that plays more strict rules about contact (no slide tackles, for instance) and it has divisions up to 60+

Ryan Reynolds Wtf GIF

Alexis logging on and checking out his thread.

1 Like

thatā€™s how we feel about his cut knee

And they burr

Wtf is a cleat?

That depends on the context of conversation, eh?

The same could be said of the correct word - Stud :wink:

1 Like

No, no. It is much more complicated than that. You put your studs on your cleats. When one breaks, you replace it, and put a new stud in place.

Huh?

The boots are ā€˜cleatsā€™, but the things that stick out from the sole? Those are studs. Obviously.

1 Like

Boots are cleats? Blimey!

Whatā€™s his prognosis?

Itā€™s just a soft tissue injury, apparently. Basically a puncture, but on a knee it means he cannot move it until it is almost totally healed. Sounded earlier this week they expected at least through next week.

1 Like

I donā€™t know about prognosis - but his diagnosis is fucking adorable, am I right, lads??

https://x.com/anythinglfc_/status/1736869160250949716?s=46&t=aLG9ncyUrtZ-QtZv0kz6SQ

Which means we wonā€™t see him for 6 months really