Arsenal vs Liverpool: FA Cup third-round, Sunday January 7, 16:30 BST

Reminds me of Thunderbirds for some reason.

1 Like

I love the FA cup. However, we find ourselves top of the league in what we thought was a transition year. I’d love us to throw everything at a title chase, especially when oil/plastic clubs are faltering a bit.

Talk of the U23s is silly though. Klopp might make a couple of changes but will be close to full strength

6 Likes

Liverpool set for strong rotated side vs. Arsenal - full debut likely for recalled left-back - Liverpool FC - This Is Anfield?

1 Like

Team for FA Cup :
Kelleher
Gomez Quansah Virgil Beck
Elliott Mac Gravenberch
Dom Gakpo Diaz
Mix of experience and youth.
Get games for Mac and Gravenberch. Also to try out Dom as Mo replacement.
Win or lose we will learn more about our squad.

Doubt Szoboszlai will take part after his hamstring injury.

1 Like

Nunez for Dom and that would be my side.

Forgot about Dom’s hamstring. And yes, in that case Nunez can slot in at right wing.

Hope Dom will be back for our next league match against Bournemouth on the 21st.

1 Like

Are we gonna wear red?

Kelleher
Gomez Quansah Van Dijk Beck
Mac Allister
McConnell Gravenberch
Elliott Jota Diaz

That would be my team.

Van Dijk and Konate get 45 each
Gomez and Trent get 45 each

Mac Allister, Gravenberch and Jota have barely played and gets the nod. Jones and Gakpo on for those on about 60.

I’d also start Diaz to keep his rhythm from his excellent display on Monday night. Nunez for him in the second half.

3 Likes

Won’t lose any sleep if we go out here.

Go all in on the Carabao and Europa while obviously challenging for the title.

Hopefully Arsenal and City take it seriously while going deep in the CL where they’ll have to be full strength. We can probably afford to rotate a lot more in the Europa.

1 Like

Don’t think so. The game is at Arsenal, so they will wear their home/red kit.

1 Like

Probably we will still wear one of our away kits.

3 Likes

Purple then?

Yeah, the reflex is to be inclined to make big changes for this, but January is actually kind of light. We have the first leg of the semi in midweek then nothing until the weekend after (11 day break). We then miss the following weekend of league fixtures as well before playing chelsea in the league midweek with the second leg of the semi sandwiched in between.

We’re back to the Jota playing in that meaningless CL tie issue where if the senior players are not selected in these cup games their schedule is likely going to be too light through the month.

This.

While the FA cup still carries some prestige with it, the fact is we’ve been given one of the toughest possible draws at the first time of asking, so we need to prioritize. We’re leading the league after the halfway point, are in the semis of the League Cup with a great chance to win it, and our fixtures list will start to get clogged up once the Europa League matches start again.

As Jaffod points out, pending the draw, we can likely rotate in the EL round of 16, and maybe even in the QF depending who we draw. The FA cup is another set of fixtures we could do without, we need to manage the squad the rest of the way so that we can meet the tough run-in with as close to a full-strength team as possible. Four of our last seven league matches are away from home against United, Fulham, West Ham, and Villa. One of the three home games is against Spurs.

If we’re doing all of that while working on the EL Quarters and Semis, the last thing we need is trying to squeeze some FA cup games in. Let City jam up their fixtures list and let us focus on what’s important.

3 Likes

Ideally we progress with no injuries no replay and get drawn at Anfield against a non PL side. Fourth round will be played at the end of this month.

1 Like

Does anyone think Carvalho might get a few cup games before he gets fucked off again?

If it’s allowed, then probably just the game at the weekend…

Think a few could fall into this bracket.