Darwin NUNEZ: 2022/23

I think the point is that the debate about how well he is doing is slanted because the bar is being set at an unreasonable level because of what the other striker who was bought at the same time is doing. A more or less 1 in 2 record overall for a new forward is the sort of early return that would see almost anyone be praised as starting well.

4 Likes

I think my perception of him must be very different from other people because in my mind heā€™s already been great, but heā€™s shown that he could well be out of this world.

That said, I do think that a lot of the perception is due to how bad weā€™re playing as a team in general. If we were on the top of the table with him playing the same position and the same statistics, the mood would be very different.

2 Likes

Angry Oh No GIF by CBC

1 Like

Nunez was immediately categorised in the same bracket as Haaland and is judged by Haalandā€™s standards in that City side built with Abu Dhabi cash.

More than a tad unfair I think.

1 Like

There you go. Haaland miss is ah well. Nunez miss, heā€™s shite.

He misses so many (while I conveniently ignore similar stats on other players)

Haaland is a good player, but he is literally there to finish chances. Heā€™s lethal in the box and there isnā€™t a better player in the world that youā€™d rather have a chance fall to. The flip side to this is that Haaland contributes absolutely nothing else to the team. City are statistically worse off this season than last, despite his goals.

Darwin is doing OK in terms of goals, and scoring 1 in 2 is a good return. But he also contributes a lot aside from goals.

5 Likes

Haaland also plods around like an carthossā€¦not much help to his team.

1 Like

He has one job. Sadly, heā€™s bloody good at it.

3 Likes

We still comparing him to Haaland?

Letā€™s not, please. Heā€™s not on that level so far.

1 Like

I agree.

He is not at Haalandā€™s level when it comes to converting chances. He is vastly better at everything else.

3 Likes

Not too sure we can compare the two players across two differing teams
Maybe if we told Nunez to hang around as near to the opposition goal or goal-line as possibleā€¦ Not to do any running around to help out our defence but stay hydrated and relaxed for when the chances come to yaā€¦ Maybe Nunez would have better goal scoring record than Haaland has nowā€¦ or vice-versa.
Nunez is on a massive learning curve and will get better after each game he has played inā€¦ Haaland is doing brilliant at what he knows what to do

1 Like

Two very different teams to be honest. I donā€™t think Haaland would have been much use to us personally.

Haaland is brilliant, he has been better than Nunez.

Nunez has still been very good and is consistently one of our better players. The narrative surrounding him is ridiculous but we donā€™t need to go overboard by trying to make arguments that heā€™s been as good as Haaland so far.

3 Likes

I donā€™t think anyone is saying he is better than Haaland - not when comes to putting the ball in the net.

The point is that Haaland offers very little else to the team. He is a pure finisher. Best there is, but he isnā€™t going to do anything else.

Yes, but the implication is that Nunezā€™ overall contribution is making up for the difference in goals scored. It isnā€™t.

2 Likes

Well, no. I suppose the answer to criticisms that Haaland only scores goals, is ā€˜yeah, so what?ā€™

I do think itā€™s interesting though, that despite Haaland scoring for fun, City are worse off this year than they were last season.

meh,

this is getting very over defensiveā€¦anyone even dares mention that Nunez should be doing better in front of goals and we all claimā€™everyone is slagging the absolute shite out of himā€™

truth is, im happy weve got him, but if he wants to be the Alpha in the centre, he needs to put away alot of those chances he doesnt.

not calling for a comparison to Firmino, or Mane, or David Mellorā€¦its litterally just a comment using the old fashion ā€˜eye testā€™ of watch him play football.

we need to calm downā€¦Haaland can be Haalandā€¦Nunez brings many great things, but his finishing needs to improve.

let me spin this on its headā€¦hand on your heart, what do you think Klopp and his team would be tring to work on in Darwins game as a priority?

1 Like

Neil? :rofl:

Maybe @Redbj is suggesting Darwin is spending too much time sucking actresses toes?

1 Like