Darwin NUNEZ: 2023/24

Scored 1 every 189 minutes in the league last year (1 in 2 is a solid rate for a striker) and is at 1 every 113 so far this year. I’d say not scoring enough is a complete misconception

If we are going to criticise it is that he needs to earn his way onto the pitch more often and, yes, he can be wasteful with chances. Which is frustrating but since he has the clear ability to create so freaking many chances doesn’t mean he’s not producing goals.

4 Likes

Sure he misses a lot of chances but he terrifies and runs ragged opposition defences. I’d call him Crazy Horse if that one wasn’t already taken. Probably our most exciting player, and with Sobo in the side, that’s saying something.

4 Likes

8 Likes

I always think ‘running hard’, when he’s on the move. Some players look silky, he looks mean. Incredibly quick and hard to stop when he works up a head of steam. Crazy Horse is certainly apt. He certainly frightens defence and causes havoc. We’re going to go close this season and he’ll play a big part of that

2 Likes

Horses Seo GIF by Kiwosan

Caballo Loco is still available.

5 Likes

The sooner we accept the fact that Nunez doesn’t score simple goals better for us. Absolute chaos :joy: :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Tô be fair he did score the simple one, he created that all by himself so he can miss it, plus Gravernbach deserved one.

3 Likes

Immense skill to pass it to Gravenberch off the post.

That’s what I saw :joy:

5 Likes

Next thing he’s going to do is score without even being on the pitch. I reckon it’ll happen on Sunday.

2 Likes

Hopefully that’s his one ridiculous miss of the season out of the way. Got away with it today in a game where we were cruising but might not be so lucky next time.

Thing is he also created it.

Rather have that than the game pass him by.

2 Likes

Let’s face it - it’s who he is. He’s always going to have laughable misses like that in his game. But he creates chances for himself and other at a such a ridiculously high rate goals will follow in his wake one way or another.

I have to admit as frustrating as he can be, he is one of my favorite players right now because of the way he embarrasses defenders and himself at the same time. Sure I wish his finishing was more consistent and composed, but it only help the team when multiple defenders are on their ass in the box and the ball is flying in random directions.

Plus he took his first chance for a goal coolly and clinically.

10 Likes

The way he ran back after the ball, dispossessed the Toulouse lad, shimmied past the next challenge and passed it on. Just class and strength and speed and power in one crazy package!

5 Likes

That’s what you call a ‘No Look Miss’ :0)

He looked as frustrated as if his miss cost us at least the game. I don’t know why it’s not happening for him in terms of being a consistently good finisher - he had a similar miss at Ajax last year and it kind of set the tone for the rest of his season. I hope that this miss won’t get to him this time because the other stuff has visibly improved (at the very least, he doesn’t pull off that run and dribbles prior to the miss if it’s still 2022/23).

1 Like

After a moment of disappointment he was laughing his arse off along with everyone else, including Klopp.

I don’t know that I’ve ever seen a player so focused on for what he is not rather than appreciated for what he is. He started only half our games this season because niggles and overall concerns with his fitness yet he is second behind only Mo in every category related to goals and productivity. Few of these goals have been cheap contributions. More often than they are ones where he’s left with a ton to do, like the goals against Newcastle and West Ham. Last night he took a very well taken goal that had the effect of killing the game. He then created one out of absolutely nothing. I’ve seen both Mo and Mane go around a keeper and fail to find the target after not being able to get their foot around the ball enough. It looked funny but it happens. What also happens is Nunez putting an attack on his back and bulldozing through a defense to create goals for us.

10 Likes

Everyone was finding it funny when Gravernbach put it away.

2 Likes

Pure Klopp :joy: :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

I can tell you why I’m focusing on don’t’s more than do’s (not just with Nunez but with quite a few Liverpool players) - because I’m certain that the lack of consistently good finishing is the only thing separating him from world class status and perhaps holding us back from being genuinely feared (like Man City are). I will say exactly the same about Diaz.

I love that he’s building up his all-round game, especially as that improvement is this clearly visible, but him becoming a goal machine for us will also be a crucial factor in the long-term development of this side because Salah probably won’t be here in two years’ time (and I doubt that his goal contribution can be replaced by a similar player, just like Mane was replaced by stylistically different Luiz).

Also, I would like him to shut up the opposition fans and meme generators who make fun of him on social media.

1 Like