Darwin NUNEZ: 2023/24

That’s from a year ago, and my opinion on him has changed. I probably only called him (affectionately) a mad bastard because I’d heard it on podcasts and social media and so forth, and you still do.

Is changing our minds and thinking different things with new information still a thing? Or is that not very 2020’s?

And FFS weird? I made one post addressing a broad point that Nunez game intelligence doesn’t get credit because there is a narrative about him that he is like a loose horse at the National. Is that ‘weird’ now? Literally the post above mine is from some lad saying he runs around on the pitch thinking about cats and then kicks the ball wherever he likes. That’s the disrespect I’m talking about.

Some words touch a nerve, some statements touch a nerve, but can we, and do we agree that Darwin is Chaos in motion…a wonderful sight to see…

1 Like

He causes ‘chaos’ for opposing players, so I have no problem with anyone calling him Captain Chaos.

1 Like

Looney Tunes Attack GIF by Looney Tunes World of Mayhem

The weird I mentioned was Quicksands non-commital single word replies, that’s all.

I didn’t look back to pull you up on it, I just thought it was odd that people were calling out others for calling him a mad bastard, when I didn’t think anybody had. That’s why I checked to look.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion and change their opinion. That wasn’t the point I was making when quoting your post. Just showing that nobody was really using that terminology as quicksand seemed to be implying.

Chances are anyone else referring to his ‘chaotic’ nature is also doing it affectionately.

For clarity…
I dislike stigmatising terminology.

Knock yourself out, call him whatever you like.

People on here rightly take offence when sectors of society are described by offensive words. I have banged a drum about discrimination against those with mental health problems ad infinitum.

But I am fucked if I am bothered any more.
It simply isn’t worth it.

Jeezus, still not understanding the point.

For clarity - Nobody is using that terminology except the one person who is telling us it’s disrespectful.

So getting up in arms about people calling him a mad bastard is entirely pointless when nobody on here is actually doing that.

Ok
You don’t get the point.

No one should call anyone by stigmatising names.
Its not cool.

People have used terminology to describe Darwin that cause offence to others…

I dislike the flippancy surrounding the incorrect use of language.

Darwin has been subject to some descriptions that are wide of the mark.
Mad bastard is one.

Honestly
Its a fucking pain in the hoop trying to explain this. Over and over.

Well, unless you have any actual examples then you’re just getting angry about nothing. Which seems pretty pointless. As I’ve shown, nobody is calling him a mad bastard.

1 Like

Him and Salah complement each other perfectly and they’ve got a real understanding now.

2 Likes

@deneb

I answered @redalways comment following this.
I noted that being unpredictable does not equal this notion of “mad bastard”…

I didnt go researching the number of times this description was used on here.
And I think the description is used more regularly than it should be.

You got involved, and maybe we are at crossed purposes?

My take on this… for what it is worth…
As fans of LFC, what we have with Darwin Nunez, is a player, the likes of which, we have never seen before on our books. When analysing his play, his determination, his skills, his strength, his running power and his youth, many names, and terms of endearment can easily spring to mind, some more near the bone than others, and most certainly when trying to describe him in fewest syllables possible in jotting down a post to comment.
The MB phrase, has the unfortunate connotation, and correlation, at least in these modern times, of being too closely connected to a real-life illness/disability… and therefore, while it has been used as a throw away line, for quite a while now… and also been used to describe Rafa, Bobby, Alisson and Suarez, amongst others in posts on the forum… (by differing forumites), the impact has somehow, become diluted. Sometimes it is best all round, when that ‘something’ gets reeled in to retain harmony upon the site if nothing else.
I think it is safe to say, in high majority of cases, in the comments read, it was used as a form of compliment without meaning offence to those the illness has a real connection to… Having said that, luckily, by the luck of the draw more than anything, I have never uttered it, and neither is it a term used by everyone…(YET!), but the fact remains, there are less offensive terms that it can be substituted for, without causing offence to our fellow LFC supporters, and nipping its use from now on in… will save some of the offence that it does actually cause to some.

1 Like

What he said.

But I’d also argue that I don’t think he’s meaningfully improved. I think things are just going better for us in general and that has put his performances in a different context. I think it’s likely that Palace game got into his head a bit, with the succession of misses that lead to a frustrated red card, and with that coming early it seemed to fix a narrative about him. But if you look at the match threads of the games he played you see comment after comment about his surprisingly good link up play and how much different of a threat we posed when he was on the pitch compared to after it.

2 Likes

I don’t disagree. I’m just saying that this phrase has only been used twice on this forum in context with Darwin. One time saying we should stop calling him it.

The point I was trying to make was that calling for people to stop calling him that is pointless when nobody he calling him that.

Ay Caramba!

Joke’s on me, because I only noticed thee chaos part and none of the rest…

Hang on. I’m clearly not talking about this forum as a closed shop. I mean, my original post that prompted your Sherlock Holmes act, was a Tweet. There is a world of LFC fandom that most of us a plugged into. I hear podcasts, I see social media and read pundits. I’m talking about the narrative around him.

You are oddly fixated on this forum as the be all and end all of LFC fandom, and the phrase mad bastard when I’m clearly talking a general impression of the lad.

As often when I post stuff here, there is always someone afterwards that makes me wish I hadn’t fucking bothered.

So, in that case case, let me make it absolutely clear for the over fucking literal among us. Mad bastard. Crazy horse. Chaos merchant. Lad who runs on the pitch thinking about cats and kicking the ball in random directions. Whatever you want.

There is a narrative about Nunez that he is a fucking lunatic running round like he doesn’t know what he’s doing. This is unfair, and even when it’s used endearingly (as I’ve been guilty of in the past) it damns him with faint praise. Darwin Nunez is an exceptionally talented footballer, with intelligence, quick feet, eye for a pass and poise. His numbers show that, and the eye test is increasingly making that obvious.

2 Likes

Points all well taken. You see it clearly in the “he’s better when he doesnt have time to think about it” type comments, but two retorts:

• If you’re responding to a conversation among people other than those on here it is probably best to say so. Without doing that it’s reasonable to assume you are talking about the discourse on here specifically.

• Referencing “Chaos” does not to seem to fit in with the other descriptors.

2 Likes

It seems you’re taking this far too personally when I wasn’t even responding to you in the first place. Probably because you’re embarrassed about what my search brought up.

Here’s what happened.

Yourself and Quicksand made posts saying that people should stop calling him a mad bastard. Which I took to mean people on this forum

To my recollection, I didn’t remember anybody doing so. All things similar on here are clearly done endearingly so I didn’t understand why you were calling for people to stop. My search was to see if people were routinely using that terminology - which it showed they were not. The fact that the only one who had was you was just an ironic aside.

If you’re arguing with twitter to stop doing it then I’m not sure posting about it here will make much difference.

Also, you keep responding to posts i’m making to other people as if i’m talking to you which isn’t helping the conversation.

1 Like

I would call people to stop using terminology that is stigmatising to people with mental health problems.

To stop thinking that its ok to use prejudiced language to describe something different.

Its really not difficult?