Darwin NUNEZ: 2023/24

7 Likes

Haha heā€™s boss.

3 Likes

If I were a defender, heā€™d be the 1 striker Iā€™d hate to come up against. His pace, power, grit and determination makes him an absolute monster.

2 Likes

His gone tonight reminded me of Suarez against Norwich. Takes a poor touch. Jeered by home fans. Scores anyway. Silence.

:rofl:

5 Likes

To be honest, it immediately reminded me of Suarezā€™ goal at Stoke in League Cup. OK, Suarezā€™ first touch was sublime, the cheeky dribble through defenders legs was amazing, and then that swerving shot that eludes the ā€˜keeperā€¦ Nunezā€™ goal was quite the opposite in terms of everything that preceded it and I probably love it even more because of it, itā€™s the perfect picture of player heā€™s hopefully becoming. :joy:

Crap touch and only scored because the rain was in the keepers eyes. Donā€™t know what people are getting excited about.

1 Like

He didnā€™t even kick it, a gust of wind just picked it up and swung it goalwards :rofl:

2 Likes

Wasnā€™t even the weather, the Earth tilted abruptly and the ball just fell in

Darwin NĆŗƱez, Earth pinball champion.

1 Like

Our man Darwin is building up a bit of a head of steam. In his debut season there were more doubters, as he was raw. But even the doubters could see the athletic gifts, and wondered if he would start to put something together.

Heā€™s on that journey now. He is scoring and assisting, and is laden with threat for any opposition. There will be some misbobbles in the finish or the control, as he isnā€™t a silky footballer like a Dennis Bergkamp or someone like that. But he is a much better footballer than a lot of people thought, and opinions are revising, not only among our own fans, but gradually among the wider footballing community.

Exhibit A yesterday. Miscontrol. Laughter in the stands, from thousands.

Fast forward two seconds, and a world class strike with pace, swerve and dip shut them up, and it had the goalie looking back over his shoulder wondering what the hell just happened.

Darwin NĆŗƱez just happened, thatā€™s what.

And heā€™s only just getting started.

9 Likes

Couple of good shots today, but that miss was one of the worst Iā€™ve seen in football in a long time.

3 Likes

Yep. I love Darwin, and he started todays game bright as a button, hitting a few decent shots to work the keeper. But the miss, oh no!

I would have preferred him to hit it on his laces, not side foot from a ball in the air, but either way, itā€™s a terrible miss.

While we are on it, the way Salah thrust his neck towards the goal told me he was trying to score from the header, not square it, so a bad miss from him as well, albeit he luckily set up Darwin for a tap in. Which he missed.

Still a work in progress, and he has it in him to frustrate. If the team had been at it, we win that one easily today. But since the team was not on it, those are the days when it often boils down to that one chance, and Darwin Nunez fluffed his lines.

Fairy tale stuff for Luton. A point against Liverpool. Something to dine out on for them.

Very fitting it was Diaz who got the late equalizer.

2 Likes

Says a lot about the current transfer market that we spent so much on a raw prospect.

2 Likes

It does indeed.

I think Darwin has enough about him that he was worth the money, in the crazy world of football finances, and hopefully he whacks in plenty of goals and at the end of it all will be seen as a key man who was a bargain.

He might become an elite football player but I just donā€™t expect him to become an elite goalscorer. I hope from the bottom of my heart that Iā€™m wrong because the burden of scoring loads of goals that Salah is carrying will quite likely be passed on to Nunez and I just donā€™t see him being there to score tap-ins and the kind of stuff that he places onto the post, bar or well over the latter.

2 Likes

Sorry Darwin, you were awful. Donā€™t let that get you. Onwards and upwards. YNWA.

1 Like

I wonder what his conversion rate is when heā€™s faced with an open goal. I donā€™t remember him scoring once although Iā€™m almost certain that he has.

In any case, his misses are ridiculous.

If he was awful then Jota and Mo were drop dead awful as he was unquestionably our best forward last night (until Diaz came on) but it appears no one wants to talk about them when they stink the place out for 100mins. Klopp said himself post match everything good went through Nunez and yes as bad as the miss was does anyone actually know for a fact that VAR wouldā€™ve overruled the linoā€™s on field decision?

1 Like

And Mo didnā€™t do his usual, play shit but score routine.

I thought he had a good game , apart from the miss.

1 Like