Darwin NUNEZ: 2023/24

Fans are carrying forward all his previous misses and using them against him every game, itโ€™s tiresome. Any reasonable person that follows football would know he had a good game apart from the miss (which may not have even counted btw)

3 Likes

This forum has been particularly reactionary and short memoried this season. Not its finest moment, right now. Some very daft comments.

3 Likes

Reminds me a lot of early Suarez in terms of great technique but sometimes not the best composure finishing. He has frustrated me at times (including yesterday) but also shown incredible ability at others. If he gets 20+ league goals in the season, all will be forgiven, but heโ€™ll have to stop missing big chances. Iโ€™m still hopeful.

4 Likes

I think most fans would tolerate his blatant misses if he continues to get better at goal scoring in general, as the season goes forwardโ€ฆ Come next season though, I also think his apprenticeship of continuous improvement in front of goal, should be more or less completely over. The odd sitter every now and again, should take the place of the frequency, of what is happening at the momentโ€ฆ!
Ian Rush never began as the assassin he eventually became in front of goal. Similar flight path with this guy me hopes :0)

3 Likes

Yup, I raised this last time he was struggling and was dismissed.

The whole board seems reactionary today when in fact it was just a bad day.

The fact it was so crammed and some of our better players were off form and yet still created the chances we did in that first half.

In the second half everyone started to try too hard with tired minds and legs, why do you think fresh looking subs instantly looked better?

Reminded me of matches at the Dell, I donโ€™t think we ever coasted one of them in the time I supported the club 1993 onwards

2 Likes

The odd sitter happens to almost everyone. With him, itโ€™s more often than what anyone would want, at least at that high(est) level. His improvement this season is surely more important than him still missing or failing to convert an unusual number of these chances. It has more value for us over 90 minutes or whatever time heโ€™s on the pitch, when he plays well. Klopp explained it pre-Luton, that we start from here now. This is Nunez who is finally showing he can work within this team in all phases of the game. Hopefully just continues improving. But there is no need to say or repeat that he also needs to be converting more of these chances. Also, letโ€™s drop the Suarez comparisons, for everyoneโ€™s sake.

1 Like

And a bad day for the team overall in which Darwinโ€™s typical Darwinness looked for most the game like the most likely route to a goal.

3 Likes

https://twitter.com/TrollFootball/status/1721230911864230077?s=20

:see_no_evil:

Jurgen Klopp on Darwin Nรบรฑez:

โ€œ๐—ข๐˜‚๐˜๐˜€๐˜๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ฑ๐—ถ๐—ป๐—ด! ๐—ข๐˜‚๐˜๐˜€๐˜๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ฑ๐—ถ๐—ป๐—ด! ๐—˜๐˜ƒ๐—ฒ๐—ฟ๐˜†๐—ผ๐—ป๐—ฒ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ป ๐˜€๐—ฒ๐—ฒ!

โ€œ๐—Ÿ๐—ผ๐—ผ๐—ธ ๐—ฎ๐˜ ๐—ต๐—ถ๐—บ ๐—ต๐—ผ๐˜„ ๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐—ธ๐—ฒ๐—ฝ๐˜ ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐—ฏ๐—ฎ๐—น๐—น ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐˜‚๐˜€, ๐˜„๐—ต๐—ผ ๐˜„๐—ผ๐˜‚๐—น๐—ฑ ๐—ผ๐—ณ ๐˜๐—ต๐—ผ๐˜‚๐—ด๐—ต ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฎ๐˜ ๐—น๐—ฎ๐˜€๐˜ ๐˜†๐—ฒ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ? ๐—ง๐—ต๐—ฎ๐˜ ๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐—ฐ๐—ผ๐˜‚๐—น๐—ฑ ๐—ฑ๐—ผ ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฎ๐˜ ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐˜‚๐˜€!

โ€œ๐—ฆ๐˜๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ฑ๐—ผ๐˜‚๐˜ ๐˜„๐—ฎ๐˜€ ๐——๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐˜„๐—ถ๐—ป ๐—ฏ๐—ฒ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐˜‚๐˜€๐—ฒ ๐—•๐—ฟ๐—ฒ๐—ป๐˜๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ๐—ฑ ๐˜„๐—ฎ๐—ป๐˜๐—ฒ๐—ฑ ๐—น๐—ผ๐—ป๐—ด ๐—ฏ๐—ฎ๐—น๐—น๐˜€ ๐˜€๐—ผ ๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐˜€๐˜๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐˜๐—ฒ๐—ฑ ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐—ฝ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ๐˜€๐˜€๐—ถ๐—ป๐—ด. ๐—ช๐—ผ๐—ฟ๐—ธ-๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ฒ ๐˜„๐—ฎ๐˜€ ๐—ถ๐—ป๐˜€๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ฒ.โ€

12 Likes

Bit of a Firmino-esque performance that one.

1 Like

I like Kloppโ€™s recognition of the player. He had the ball in the back of the net twice, but didnโ€™t score. If strikers equate their performance to goals scored, and thatโ€™s it, then Darwin Nunez could easily get into a funk and second guess himself. I thought he had a good game and even if others got the goals, Nunez played an important part in the team doing well.

Long may it continue. And a few more goals are just around the corner, I feel.

4 Likes

Management 101 (and shocking how few managers get it).

When a player sacrifices their game, puts in a massive effort to do exactly what you have been coaching him and asking him to do for the benefit of the team, make damn sure he knows how much everyone appreciates it.

Why Klopp is a great managerโ€ฆ and why Darwin is going to end his career a Liverpool legend.

9 Likes

Best compliment I could lay on Darwinโ€ฆ Even Ramos would not fancy taking him on.! :0)

2 Likes

Haha, thought the same! Here I am, still waiting for Gakpo to become the next Firmino, while Nunez is running down defenders into oblivion, missing sitters left and right but helping Mo score game after game. :joy:

3 Likes

He shouldnโ€™t try to play like Firmino in my opinion and Klopp shouldnโ€™t mold him into the next iteration. He doesnโ€™t need to drop back as much or do the off ball work that Firmino did.

The way heโ€™s played so far is ideal and if he manages to sort out his finishing, heโ€™ll break the league, starting with the plastics in a fortnight.

4 Likes

Scored the second goal in Uruguayโ€™s 2-0 defeat of Argentina last night:

2 Likes

Normally he misses the he has so much time to think โ€ฆ :innocent:

Heโ€™s warming up for Man City, good lad. Hopefully we lay on a plane, get the boys home, and we put in a good performance next weekend. I hate the international break!

1 Like