Darwin NUNEZ: 2023/24

Lose the pigtails son.

2 Likes

I hope you arenā€™t talking about his hair style.

1 Like

You donā€™t think sheā€™ll make a gorgeous wife someday?

I am a big fan of him but you canā€™t show up with that hairstyle and put in such a bad performance. First half in particular was shocking.

Iā€™ll be interested to see his passing stats today, wouldnā€™t shock me to find out he didnā€™t compete one in the first half. Certainly felt that way.

2 Likes

Equally important involvement for Endoā€™s, his knockdown to Mo from Ibouā€™s pick out (lovely ball btw) was crucial.

Apart from the chance that Salah spurned? Seems odd to keep pretending that didnā€™t happen.

He is too raw for his age. The talent is there, the potential is through the roof but he is missing consistency, composure and luck. He must have hit the post more times than heā€™s scored goals in his Liverpool career.

Eventually, it will come together for him but he shouldnā€™t be considered an automatic starter over Gakpo and Jota. In fact, on the evidence of the last couple of games, Iā€™d prefer the former getting the nod.

1 Like

Itā€™s a catch-22 situation: if he doesnā€™t play, how will he improve?

I think you start him for his all-round threat and then hope that the goals will come.

2 Likes

Heā€™s generally been very good this season but I think he was fucking awful in the first half yesterday and a little better (at least he didnt launch any counter attacks against us) in the second half.

He did still have some key contributions, heā€™s so big and strong that he usually manages to have a moment where he beats someone or wins a big header.

His worst performance of the season, donā€™t think anyone is overreacting though but from the angle of optics I just think if youā€™re going to show up with pig tails then you need to be the best player on the pitch!

4 Likes

Next week heā€™ll have a buzz cut hopefully.

1 Like

Iā€™ve literally suppressed that details, thanks a bunch for reminding me.

Theyā€™re literally just braids, I have no idea why everyone is losing their shit about it.

1 Like

Not so much losing shit as having a laugh.

I think it looks a hell of a lot neater than his usual messy bun/ponytail thing. Plus itā€™s nice to see a footballer with something other than the standard issue Hitler Youth hairstyle. :roll_eyes:

When this lad finds his scoring boots heā€™s going to be a force of nature :heart_eyes:

Serious question but has there been many strikers who were particularly profligate who suddenly become super clinical finishers?

Itā€™s not an exact comparison, but Suarez took some time to become one of the best forwards in the world after a season of hitting the bar or post at almost every opportunity.

I donā€™t think it was as much of an issue as it is with Nunez though. He ā€˜onlyā€™ got 11 in the league that season.

Suarez took a bit of time to raise his numbers (went from more of a second striker to a main striker with years and later at Barca), also in a worse Liverpool team, but he was clearly a better footballer when he arrived than Nunez so far. So yeah, itā€™s unfair.

1 Like

Absolutely! This is horrendous. What is next, he brings his purse to the pitch ā€¦ :see_no_evil:

1 Like

Darwin got 9 himself (15 total), after spending at least 1/3 of the season either struggling with fitness or second choice.

1 Like