Darwin NUNEZ: 2023/24

First time yesterday my thoughts re the offsides, were that of a player where the message does not seem to be getting through… Hope his English translations are not holding his progress back

Funny that I think of him, but Cisse used to drive me mad with those lazy offsides and often going for too much power in front of goal, instead of just aiming and placing it past the keeper. Nunez had a bit of room in one action yesterday, where he took so many touches and ended up nowhere. Needs to be more decisive. Proper strikers have 2-3 touches max in those situations and get a shot off.

2 Likes

Sounds weird but he just looks and plays like a Chelsea type striker

Not sure what I should do. I have Nunez in my fantasy team. I’ve been sticking with him during his lean spell, and the longer it has gone on the more I have become convinced that he is about to burst into the goals again.

Arguably it makes me like a chronic gambler, hoping his luck will turn. Or a fella who dabbles in the stock market and refuses to cut his losses on the way to the poor house, because he thought it would turn.

While I have persisted with Darwin, my ‘sure thing’ the ugly robot injured his foot and is now off to the club World Cup.

No wonder my lad is kicking my ass. I’m having a fantasy football mare at the moment.

1 Like

Ladies and gentlemen, I believe we have identified the problem. Ban?

1 Like

Mea culpa.

(Which isn’t how Jack Grealish asks for a cup of tea).

Yeah do us a favour go and stick some Arsenal players in your side and remove Darwin.

1 Like

#MeToo

Klopp: “Darwin stays in the game, he’s super positive in and around the games, he’s a bit aggressive in certain moments a little bit in the wrong way in the beginning (earlier in his LFC career) but now he’s aggressive in the right way!

"I’m really really happy with what I’ve seen at the moment, the rest will come. We are completely calm with him. Could he score more goals? Yeah. Could he have more situations? I don’t think so, he has all the moments. Now all we have to do is work on that last touch.”

4 Likes

I stick with him because as long Jota is injured the alternative is Gakpo and he is worse.

As far as this season alone is concerned - and with results being hit and miss with the top sides in the PL table… Single-handedly, in a manner of speaking, Darwin can either win this seasons title for us, OR, he can lose it for us…!!
Thinking of the Sandcastle game, when he wrenched the 3points from them… then I think of some of the easier missed chances that have cost us points.!
If he terrorises other teams in the second half of the season, grabs goal after goal… the title is on its way to Anfield in 2024

Gakpo is much better at connect midfield to attack. I would play Nunez against West Ham, and Gakpo against Arsenal. Less space for a lose cannon against them.

1 Like

Why not play both against Arsenal??

Rule #1 of fantasy football: Never ever put players from the team you root for in you side. You’re a fan a can’t possibly make a rational judgement about them.

Plus, the only time I violated that rule one of the best players on the Colts ( hey I live in indiana) tore his ACL

1 Like

Agree with this. Arsenal game too important. Gonna need cool heads and discipline with our shape. Bring Darwin and Harvey off the bench if we need a goal near the end

Yeah, I think I was responsible for that dry spell Suarez had.

On the general point of wasting chances, people seem to forget that we were wasteful before Nunez arrived.

Two examples: when we were knocked out of the Champions League by Atletico Madrid in 2020, when we had 34 shots in the home leg alone (and a further eight in Madrid) and, of course, the 2022 final against Real, where we wasted 24 chances.

Of course, no team converts 100% of their chances all the time, but our profligacy in front of goal has been worse than most for years.

8 Likes

That’s a very simple way of looking at it…

We had one of the best attacks in football. Was Bobby (even if he was a false #9, he was central and that means often closest to the goal) a prolific finisher? No, he wasn’t. But the balance of that trio was arguably the best for a good few years.

I can actually see a similarity when we brought Nunez after Paris to when we brought Torres after Athens. Of course, the frustration of not having a more dangerous and potent centre forward was greater in 2007. Liverpool 2022 was generally a more complete side already than Liverpool 2007.

Not that no team converts 100% of their chances (and chances are not a total of shots on goal, by the way), but every team has a % of these games where it’s just not their day in terms of convertion.

We’ll see if a team with Nunez being a regular starter can even get to new CL finals and big trophies. He’s been brought in with a view of becoming that new main man, centrally, a little bit with Salah still and post-Salah.

1 Like

Strangely think we were quite clinical in that season in general.

As I said it’s not a situation that’s been lingering for years it’s a spell thing. It’s why you need 5 attacking players as some players will be off some of the time. Strangely they’ve all timed the same period.

1 Like

Was that the season we increased our scoring from set pieces?

1 Like