Darwin NUNEZ: 2023/24

His tracking back was good too. Bailed out the defense a couple of times.

1 Like

Yes but I mean heā€™s just offside too often and his first touch is like a shot and you knowā€¦he still doesnā€™t know how to say ā€œHello, Good Afternoonā€ and ā€œFuck off Ref you piece of shitā€ in English.

I just donā€™t see him ever making it here or any other top club. He just doesnā€™t have it.

Already thought he was going to miss, when he used his ā€œwrongā€ foot there. But ended up well.

clearly out of depth at this level jeff

Well done that lad. And for one of Jotaā€™s goals against Bournemouth, Nunez kept it alive by competing for the header and coming away with the ball. None of our other strikers would have been able to do that.

Lovely to see him among the goals, and lovely for the team to show its attacking threat even without Salah.

4 Likes

Probably a good thing with him being on 5 yellow cards

Nunez is definitely frustrating and should be scoring more, but what he brings to our forward line and general play canā€™t be easily replicated. Heā€™s a fucking nightmare to defend against, and the way he fights to keep play alive in and around the oppo box means a lot more opportunities for the other lads to bang them in.

Would love to see a stat that shows his key passes or key plays leading to an assist, because his overall contribution to the goals weā€™ve scored is far more than the 20 G/A heā€™s currently showing.

Worth the money? Jury probably still out on that, but as for being a key part of the current rebuild? Thereā€™s no question heā€™s been a fantastic contributor in that sense. Working with a properly-performing midfield this season has helped him a ton, too.

7 Likes

Nunez is the only player in the European ā€œBig 5ā€ leagues with double digit goals and assists in all competitions. He is hilariously frustrating with his finishing, but itā€™s not like Bobby was ever a lethal finisher either.

Heā€™s contributing to our team success in a BIG way.

There is a really good article about him on espn right now but itā€™s behind a paywall. Linking it here in case anyone has subscription or a way to get around the paywall to check it out.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/insider/story/_/id/39363984/why-liverpool-darwin-nunez-premier-league-best-players

3 Likes

A very interesting perspective:

Well worth a read.

4 Likes

He should stop playing crossbar challenge be it in training, pastime or media games.

I wonder if heā€™s been told to shoot whenever he gets the space. A few weeks ago, it looked like he was shying away from shooting, even when it was on, and I worried he might be losing confidence in himself, but today, it looked like he was up for leathering anything towards goal.

Probably the most interesting player in the world at the moment, really.

3 Likes

If I didnā€™t watch any football this week and you told to me to guess the player who ā€œhit the woodwork four times, missed a penalty, got himself booked for the most stupid of things and then assisted a goalā€, I wouldnā€™t think twice. All in a dayā€™s work for Nunez. Or, shall I say, all in a dayā€™s woodwork?

2 Likes

What did He get the yellow for?

Tierney got mad at his hair.

Kicked the ball away - the same thing that a Chelsea player (Gallagher?) didnā€™t get booked for in the first minute of the game.

3 Likes

Really unlucky not to score last night.

Didnā€™t like his run up to the penalty. Although Salah also does something similar (not like I like his technique either).

Positive performance.

1 Like

Nahā€¦ in his mind heā€™ll be benched if he doesnā€™t pass to salahā€¦

He hit the woodwork 4 times last night. There are very few times that a player could do that if they tried. There were also a couple of shots that went straight at the keeper but also forced a couple of exceptional saves.

He was just remarkably unlucky. He has been hitting the woodwork all season but, at the same time, he has put a fair few away. Itā€™s really fine margins. Iā€™d be more worried if he was skying them into the Breck Road on a regular basis.

Iā€™m sure he doesnā€™t let it get to him. Unless he just goes home, sticks the key in the door and spend the next 90 minutes kicking the crap out of the door frame.

3 Likes

The thing that irks me most about him is his mustache and beard, WTF :unamused:

Right foot, left foot, header. Thatā€™s a Perfect Darwin.

Throw in the penalty miss and yellow card and you have a Full Darwin.

4 Likes