Darwin NUNEZ: 2023/24

Well, that’s where one-to-one coaching needs to come in. He needs to be taught to scan more around him, see what’s the action of the opposing defender when a ball comes into dangerous positions.

With his pace and power, he doesn’t even need to hang behind the last defender.

Haaland doesn’t help defend, run, …he just stands waiting for the ball…lollops around the centre circle…and wanders to goal mouth, has regular tantrums when he wants the ball or when he begs for a pen…lazy player and not a team player…just my observations…:blush::blush::blush:

3 Likes

Agree with all of that.

But we’re discussing why Darwin doesn’t score enough.

Yes, but it’s fun to slag off Haaland at any opportunity.

4 Likes

Thats just brilliant so you are saying a 24 nearly 25 year old need 1 to 1 coaching how to keep onside.

Thank you for your table, it shows a lot of key data there.

Just look at Solanke vs Nunez & Salah. Solanke was in LFC with nearly the same coaching set up and he was underwhelming to say the least.

Fast forward to 5 years later, Solanke scores more than Nunez and equals Salah’s current tally despite Nunez and Salah taking more shots on target, taking more shots per 90 which is weird, given how Nunez is the top 5 players in terms of pace and acceleration ( which will allow him to literally outrun 90% of the opposing defenders during counters when the opposing team is chasing the game) and Salah is a legendary finisher and is no slouch in pace as well.

To me, it stands out to be a coaching & tactical issue.

1 Like

He seems to be that sort that needs constant reminders to look up and look around.

So once per game, not even that? & how many times does he look to get in behind per game? Far more than most forwards in the league. I can think of bigger crimes against humanity tbh.

I miss @Scott.Jones

YNWA, Darwin.

11 Likes

We have to keep giving him minutes on the pitch, he’ll never score warming the bench. Also the twats slaughtering him on social media, are not real Liverpool fans, that’s if they ever were. They’ll be mancs and blueshite.

9 Likes

Just a comparison of the work he does off the ball…agreed should score more…wish he’d score more…sometimes it looks as if he rushes his shots…slow down Dar in front of the net…but not that other gret lump…

1 Like

Nunez keeps getting compared with Suarez and his early troubles at Liverpool but I fail to see many similarities other than their nationality and their propensity for glaring misses and woodwork hits. Suarez was single-minded and couldn’t care about criticism from the outside. In fact, he behaved as though he used that criticism as motivation and fuel to keep getting better and shut up his critics.

Nunez, on the other hand, looks like someone who lets his misses get the better of him and he gets stuck in a vicious circle. Inability to target his shots better infuriates me more than his offside awareness (or the lack of it). At the same time, I don’t want us to sell him because we don’t have a striker with better combination of numbers and availability but if we could get a reliable but a boring one, I’d be in favour of such replacement, especially if it’s not financially detrimental to our club.

Like with every Liverpool player, I’m desperate for him to succeed, even more because the opposition fans are having a field day with him, but I genuinely don’t see that he has the mentality that is required to make it at current Liverpool iteration.

3 Likes

I think nationality is not relevant, it is just that finishing.

I do agree with your point about the underlying personality, Nunez seems to be sensitive where Suarez was just plain obsessive.

1 Like

It’s not only finishing.

With Suarez, from the first second at Liverpool (and even slightly before), I had zero doubts over him having all it takes to be a key player here (was also a worse Liverpool side, but still). Just a better footballer overall. Not much point comparing them.

I don’t have the same conviction or feeling with Nunez.

3 Likes

Obviously anyone abusing him or his family are total pricks and not real fans. That said, it’s the modern world sadly and all players are guaranteed to experience it. To delete every pic of himself in a Liverpool shirt and block Liverpool accounts is some strop and gives weight to concerns about his maturity and resilience

4 Likes

It’s like the coaching setup doesn’t do shooting drills at all…

With that speed he should be rarely caught offsides, and he is not, dont know if this can be fixed through coaching.

I agree. LFC cannot continue to hold on to consistently underperforming players like they’ve been doing under Klopp. If there’s an opportunity to sell and recoup majority of the fee then so be it. It’s unfortunate but he’s not cut out for the PL both mentally and on the pitch.

There’s always at least one who doesn’t recognise sarcasm…

2 Likes

I agree… :rofl:

2 Likes