Ex-player: Sadio MANÉ

We need Lewa.

Klopp needs to get on the phone and say “look we’ll give you Mane’s + Milner’s weekly wage on a 2 year deal, in that 2 years if we win either the Prem/CL you get another year on your deal…let’s re-write history baby.”

Something along those lines and we’re cooking. He and Benzema are without doubt the best strikers on the planet…by some distance. Age aside.

I don’t see how you can say “age aside”. The guy will be 34 shortly after next season begins. I just don’t see someone at that age coming into the PL for the first time and being a world-beater.

We need to look at the next generation of players, and I expect we will. When was the last time we signed an ageing big name? We’re not United.

12 Likes

Or: Mo scores lots of goals because he generates lots of shooting opportunities.

5 Likes

You flip the form of these two and you probably get a different response, up to the Afcon and for a season now Mane had looked a bit meh if we are honest. Salah meanwhile started the season hot, he had also been our only option of a goal it felt in the Covid times bar the purple patches of Jota (another who seems to being criticised in my view unduly). Mane comes back from the Afcon and is the player we remember and Salah drops off.

Maybe we need to consider on reflection players go through periods. It’s a shame it’s being broken up a bit but Klopp is committed to another 4 years and we will have to seek out the option to rebuild/shape/mould that frontline.

3 Likes

Also wasn’t this around the time we started moving him central anyway?

2 Likes

Yup we also moved Jota out wide and played Firmino less and I don’t think the wide move helped Jota in the slightest.

1 Like

Could be, always felt with Mo the first 3-4 shots would be wayward then bang he scores but yes he does get himself into position to be able to shoot.

1 Like

I answered this here!

No, not enough clear cut chances. We also were terrible at set pieces, which has been a huge part of us scoring the 1st goal this season.

3 Likes

You’re using one game as evidence against the PL golden boot winner from 3 of the past 4 seasons?

3 Likes

Some of the comments about Mo and Mane across this forum are nuts.

‘Don’t it always seem to go,
That you don’t know what you got 'til it’s gone’

4 Likes

No. I was being flippant.

I think a lot of you that think we are pissed off, are missing the point. I don’t think there is anyone begrudging a move, we (or just me maybe), are pissed at what he said before the biggest game of the season…

But come back to me on Saturday and I will give you the best answer you want to hear, for sure. It’s special. I will give you all you want to hear then.

To claim that what we are hearing is the best answer, it’s special, it’s what we want to hear, is just plain “fucked up”, unless you are a fan of another club.

Still to convinced thats it’s true. As far as I can tell, no quotes from him post final.

1 Like

I think he really thought we were going to win this weekend, and that is what he meant by this.

Both are statistically correct.

I think that’s a stretch. It was a question about transfer/future.

1 Like

Sure, a somewhat clumsy attempt at deflection perhaps. But we win that bad boy yesterday and those words you have bolded would apply from the win alone or if it was accompanied by an announcement of whether he was staying or going.

1 Like

We could have done with a decent one of those yesterday.

1 Like

Yeah I think it was Thiago who had a wayward shot Mané could have nudged in!

1 Like

Yeah, good shout that. I’m sure he feels like he is always in Mo’s shadow to some extent and isn’t quite as appreciated as Mo.
Then he sees how Mo appears to be fighting so hard to get paid what he thinks he’s worth, he probably doesn’t want a bar of it. Being in a similar age bracket to Mo, he probably realises he can get more out of other clubs during the twilight of his career and is no doubt confident he can continue his standards because he looks after himself so well.

Was this a message to the fans or was he speaking to the journalists?

From a media point of view, the best answer they want to hear is about a big move to a big club, because it gives them something to write about until it happens plus a chance to link us with every talented forward in the world.

2 Likes