Harry Wilson (RW) to Fulham

Even in normal times I think 20mil is right for him, if anyone tries to lowball below 15, I think we might keep him for squad depth, i think a 15 mil plus add ons might close the deal.

Its unfortunate for him, he just does not seem to have the mental attributes to make it at a top club like us. He has good playing qualities which will be appreciated at a mid tier or lower club but somehow he fades away from games and I think that is more a mentality issue rather than anything technical.

Good luck if he does leave this summer.

The thing about mental attributes, is that we don’t understand enough about them that sometimes all it takes is a trigger, event or even just a chat to bring about change. So there is upside there for someone to harness…

At the moment, at the right club, I think he would be good for 10 goals a season playing regularly. That should be worth at least 20m to someone in a normal year

1 Like

He’s absolutely nothing like Joe Allen and could yet get to the level Joe got to so that’s a strange shout. I’d call him a poor man’s David Beckham with many of the same skills, traits and weaknesses. In the modern game not many teams would be able to utilise Beckham and that’s the problem Wilson faces for the most part. He’s fantastic at ball distribution especially from set pieces he’s just not so great at the rest. Put him in a team that get the rest of the work done by the other players and he could be free to do the glamorous side of things that get them the points to build a foundation on for their season. In the right environment he could get 10+ goals and 10+ assists and to some clubs that would be worth setting up to get the best out of him.

6 Likes

Yep. And Beckham even upped his game/reinvented himself at Real so I think some of the stick that Wilson has cf say Brewster is a bit over the top. If Klopp doesn’t see him with a future here fine but Wilson has surely also shown others that he may still have a future in the PL.

3 Likes

I dont think he fits their model. He doesn’t do enough off the ball.

2 Likes

Hey Mikey, why is Wilson still here??? :thinking:

Jedi`s work at their own pace.

1 Like

Dyche didn’t make a single substitution yesterday in their defeat to Southampton. He had five youth players on the bench and only Erik Peiters as a senior outfield player.

That’s why Wilson is considering Burnley - he will play every single game.

8 Likes

Him playing in a side like Burnley will definitely make him stand out. Game time for sure wont be an issue either.

2 Likes

I’d bite Burnley’s hand off for £12+5m. I seriously doubt we’ll much better than that.

5 Likes

I’m willing to take just those £12 millions.

1 Like

Pearce:

The 23-year-old Welshman, who missed the decisive spot kick in sudden death, was a surprise inclusion, having looked set to join Burnley following talks between the clubs over the past week. However, an offer of £12 million plus a potential £4 million in add-ons was rejected by Liverpool, who want an overall package of around £20 million, including at least £15 million guaranteed.

1 Like

£12m is a joke. Better to just wait till January, when some clubs will be crying out for players with freekick attributes to avoid relegation. Or send on loan and get a couple of million in fees. Or wait till second deadline 16th Oct when they’ll raise the fee to £14m plus addons.

And those making a judgement to sell for a packet of crisps based on one cup game, would be the same who would hand Damien Plessis a 5 year bumper contract after his Arsenal debut. Both are extremes.

1 Like

15 mil would be ok, not ideal, but ok. I think we also have to understand that Wilson’s value right now is very much up for debate. He hasnt played particularly well and was lacking in game time the last time we saw him at Bournemouth after a fiery start to his bournemouth loan. Its shown in terms of interest from teams. Alot of teams simply do not think he is worth that 20 mil mark. In comparison you have Rhian which Sheffield is willing to bring him in, a) cause he is a goal scorer hence worth the gamble, b) they only have the championship experience to go off on, so they cant pick holes in his game yet.

Quite frankly keeping him till January does us no favors, his value isnt changing and i dont think he will play enough games to make clubs change their minds.

Thanks Harry for your performance last night, great stuff

3 Likes

We can’t have deals like Ibe and Solanke every time we sell someone. We better be smart and cut our losses.

1 Like

what losses?

2 Likes

I’m not sure how Wilson would fit in at Burnley because he’s not a natural thug. He would need to attend the Sean Dyche school of thuggery before making his debut. Hang on, maybe he was trying to impress Dyche with that cynical trip last night.
Seriously though, I doubt we’ll get 20 million after his performance last night.

1 Like

Let me see…. came to the club aged 8. Academy player. Four loan spells, with the last two having significant loan fees (about 4 million euros in total). Signed an improved contract in 2018, which in the past two years the loan clubs would have contributed. You talking about potential reduction in transfer fees and paying a wage?

Welsh international, championship and prem experience. Almost 3 years still left on contract. So yeah, I stand by my feeling that 12m is insufficient. Can push for 15m at a minimum. Two weeks left for the window in domestic transfers. We could get a decent loan fee again, either to a Prem club or Championship if a permanent transfer doesn’t materialize.

If everything falls through, then we have a squad player. Then it’s up to Harry in training to catch the manager’s eye. Also my thought is that lower table managers will struggle for goals, and some will look in the winter to boost their set piece plays. Unless Klopp decides to have the player’s best interest at heart and pushes the higher ups to allow a cut-price fee. And cut price it would be.

4 Likes

I think Wilson and McNeil either side of Wood/Rodriguez is a decent attacking front 3, certainly not relegation level.