Ibrahima Konate (CB) RB Leipzig

I think Kabak is a certainty. We are looking for another CB given Matip is rarely available.

1 Like

This sentence can be read in different ways

Only if you are a being a knob. If you want to believe a manc forum blogger whose twitter account was activated 5th of April 2021, go ahead.

1 Like

According to Fabrizio Romano we have completed his signing. 5 year contract, fee around 35m€.

1 Like

So that’s around £30.4m.

3 Likes

Played an average of 23 games per season in the last 4 years.

But he’ll be 22 next month.

Would become our 10th most expensive signinig.

2 Likes

Can’t get my hopes up, lot can happen in next days. Will believe when I see him lean.

1 Like

What do you think this means for Kabak, if true? Is it realistic to think we may sign both given Konate’s rumoured fee?

Where does Romano sit on the bullshit scale.

Always had him pegged as a level above chancer but not in the 100% reliable group. That about right?

3 Likes

Assuming we don’t get rid of any of our top 3, if we start the season without 5 senior CBs it will be a dereliction of duty. It’s a position not just based on a reaction to the injuries of this season, but of the lingering effect those injuries may have. Essentially, if Matip and Gomez only count as one fit body between them we still need 3 more.

3 Likes

Fair appraisal I’d say. Gets more right with Italy based stuff but not a great track record with us I’d say. Enough noise though around this one that he could be right though.

1 Like

Konate, Matip and Gomez to share games between injuries. Kabak as cover for the aforementioned, so basically will be a partner to VVD for most of the season.

No way VvD is going play as many games as he did since he joined after the injury and if we have those 4 options available.

2 Likes

2018/19: 50 games, 4465 mins
2019/20: 50 games, 4590 mins

In both of those seasons, he was spared only in the early cup games. Not just the number of games he played, he played 90 mins in almost all of those game. With five quality CB (Matip will be available for some games) Klopp will be able to manage minutes/pressure of all of them.

1 Like

Thanks Statman Ift

2 Likes

So, we’ll be back to a constantly changing CB partnership, but as a planned approach?

1 Like

VvD should be rested in both domestic cup competitions + could easily be rested in 2 CL/EL group games.

No.

I think VVD will be the constant. But he will be rested for the cup games, EL group stage games/inconsequential CL group games, and rotated during the crazy Dec-Jan period.

Matip, when fit, will probably be the stand-in for VVD.

Whichever of Kabak (!), Konate (?), and Gomez establishes first will be the most regular partner of VVD while the other two will be excellent cover and competition.

1 Like

Happy with this. Never seen the lad play but happy with this lol. Hope Virg never plays an FA Cup or that Energy Drink Cup games again. Unless it’s a final. Need him to get as much breaks as he can next season. Can’t be playing 50 games a season like he was.

1 Like

Wonder what’s the story with Kabak or Matip now. Surely one goes?