Ibrahima Konate (CB) RB Leipzig

You’re probably not wrong…

I really hope you’re wrong…

But you’re probably not…

I’ve said it before but what is there e not to like in a speedy, 194 m CB who has the balls to drive true midfield?

I’ll sign him in a heartbeat!

BTW, so sick and tired of watching us getting corners and stepping down to the bar ordering a pint because nothing will come from that.

3 Likes

That hurts to hear as an Irish man in lockdown :frowning:

1 Like

Sorry mate, :crazy_face: come to have a pint in the garden of my local O’Casey\s here in the Hague, first one in on me.

4 Likes

Just a feeling, I’m not so sure this is going to happen. Or I should rephrase that and say I won’t be surprised if this transfer doesn’t happen.

There’s been a lot of smoke this week about Liverpool not wanting to pay the entire release clause in one installment and in the past 3 days there’s been quite a bit floated on the socials about the club not making any decisions until after the medical. Emphasis on the medicals.

Will be interesting to watch this play out and I’m still hoping it does get done but I also won’t be shocked if it doesn’t. Maybe the club has a different target in mind or they are scared off by something else.

2 Likes

What? That Utd blogger said it was done 1st of May :wink:

" This Tweet is from an account that no longer exists. Learn more"

5 Likes

Only other time is the 31st of May reported. I reckon if there’s no word by then it’s not happening

The transfer window opens on June 9 a month from now.

4 Likes

I think it’s a deal breaker. We are not in a position to cough up £40 million in a single installment. So if Leipzig is playing hardball with the release clause, it’s not going to happen.

Specially when there’s other options already on the radar.

2 Likes

Anybody else getting Werner deal vibes?

2 Likes

I get the impression it’s all but done. We just need to hand over the fee but probably want to wait until the season to be done to make absolutely sure he isn’t hit by the CB curse and ends up injured before he joins.

You wouldn’t really expect any announcements before the end of the season. I know Bayern did with Upamecano but it’s probably no coincidence that Leipzig were also their nearest challengers in the Bundesliga at the time. They have prior form for leaking that type of information if they think it benefits them.

4 Likes

I can’t remember any from us being announced early to be honest especially before the end of the season, why I was a bit baffled by dates.

Pretty sure VVD was done in the period between September and December and so was Minimino but they weren’t announced til the window opened.

2 Likes

Closest in my mind may be Fabinho? Announced day after CL final probably to lift spirits after the loss…other signings even when heavily rumoured by the reliables don’t seem to get announced by the club until much later

2 Likes

Keita was announced a year in advance, but I can’t think of anything official, there was the Thiago thing all last Feb/March and then he didn’t sign til about August.

1 Like

On one side you have Fabrizio Romano saying everything is agreed for Konate coming to Liverpool and medicals scheduled for after the season.

Now today we have Joyce saying “Leipzig are demanding the fee in one lump sum or the deal is off”.

1 Like

I feel he is most authoritative regarding Italian and Spanish Leagues.

He is usually pretty rubbish outside of Italy, his Spanish stuff isn’t much cop.

2 Likes

Transfers are always agreed subject to medicals so the not making a decision until after the medical is basically what happens in every transfer. I don’t see the demand to pay release fee in one lump sum as being insurmountable either - this is just the usual back and forth that happens in negotiations. The mood music suggests this one is still happening, imo.

4 Likes

It feels like we’ve agreed a fee (it’s a release clause), that enabled us to speak to Konate about salary which is also agreed and meant we’ve done initial medical checks. We are now probably discussing the payment schedule, before sign off.

So Romano is probably right it is agreed in principle but the details are under discussion so Joyce is right.

RB are well within their rights to ask for a lump sum, which historically we’ve struggled with (see Werner).

It was why we walked from Werner though.

1 Like

Wage demands as well, plus we only walked from Werner when the pandemic hit. Now we have more certainty about the immediate and medium term financial situation.

But my main point is that RBL are likely to accept a structured deal, regardless of what they might be saying now.

4 Likes