Ibrahima Konate (CB) RB Leipzig

The thought on replacement was that Fabinho could be an excellent 4th choice option and that freed up money for Thiago… can’t think that decision was terrible despite everything. Can’t plan for first three choices being out for the season and then Henderson getting hurt making Fabinho essential in midfield…

8 Likes

Ok, my judgement based on a 5 minute youtube highlight video is that he reminds me of Carragher.

In that he’s great at making those last ditch tackles that look impressive on a highlights reel

My concern is that in Carra’s case, a lot of those were necessity because he was in a poor starting position during the attack. I hope that is not the case with Konate.

A lot of those tackles also looked like perfect fodder for refs to give pens against us, VAR or no VAR.

Definitely a quality player though on the ball. I’m leaning toward him being a good addition should he come.

1 Like

I thought Fab was a good option for 5 to 10 games, but never wanted to see him there for longer than that. Nobody was expecting VVD to go out for so long, but you can’t say Gomez and Matip issues were unpredictable.

2 Likes

Carragher/quality on the ball - never before used together

9 Likes

You only say that because Alison has a better scoring rate than him…

1 Like

Looks like someone’s been playing with his wiki page :joy:

8 Likes

Well IF he comes he is not over-used this season. :rofl:

BTW, he plays with France U21 against Holland U21 this Monday, I will be watching.

6 Likes

This is happening then.

I have no idea but does he start with VVD next season or does he start on the bench and provide competition for Gomez and Matip

Also… you gotta love an early deal in the transfer market.

If we’re paying 40m for him, I think he’s starting.

We might loan Neco, and get Gomez game time on the Right.

2 Likes

Even before his last injury I thought Joe should never play at RB again and now even more.

8 Likes

No I don’t wanna see Gomez play right back.

7 Likes

I agree on the Gomez at right back thing, but we’re not spending 40m on cover.

I’m actually quite worried that Gomez isn’t coming back.

5 Likes

God I hope that’s not the plan.

Whlst he does a good job on the right, it is clear as day he is at his best in the middle of defence alongside Virgil.

2 Likes

It’s nearly three months till the next season. Gomez and Matip can regain full fitness during this time. With a new CB coming and Phillips and Williams waiting on the wings, we can afford even more time to allow them regain full fitness.

Let’s wait couple more months to dread the worst.

A fully fit Gomez starts over anyone else we have next to van Dijk but given this is now his third serious injury it’s hard to know his physical condition when he does return.

5 Likes

No way are we letting Gomez leave. That won’t happen.

We aren’t bringing in a CB to let all other leave - and if that was the plan it would be Matip over Gomez.

My own opinion is that out 4 CBS next year will be VVD, Konate, Gomez and Matip.

Phillips as 5 and probably Williams loaned out.

1 Like

Ben Davies???

1 Like

This season doesn’t seem to have taught anyone anything.

We’ve used VvD, Gomez, Matip, Fabinho, Henderson, Kabak, Phillips and Williams at CB this year and only really been unlucky with the lengths of VvDs and Gomezs injuries. The number of injuries hasn’t actually been unusual, all the players that have got injured get or were overdue to get injured. Timing has been a bitch but that was as much overplaying certain players due to injuries to others.

Adding one CB, who himself has a chequered injury history, isn’t going to create problems.

VvD shouldn’t play every minute of every game when he comes back like he used to, if he’s even firing on all cylinders from when he first gets back anyway.

Gomez may well not be back for a little while and even more than VvD his return will need managing.

Matip God knows when he’s back but it won’t be long till he’s out again.

There’s probably already too much pressure on Konate playing every minute from the off, personally I’d still be adding two new CBs not one with the likes of Phillips and Davies moved on to help pay towards him.

1 Like

He doesn’t exist

2 Likes