Ibrahima Konate (CB) RB Leipzig

Money laundering signing. There’s no such player.

1 Like

I think there’s some edges with him needing a little bit of work. From what I’ve seen - roughly 10 games pre and post injuries - he’s not at a level where we can expect him to deliver as well as Matip and Gomez do, so I’m thinking his playing time the first months could depend on the recovery of those two.

His potential is tremendous though. He’s a good passer, can carry the ball; and he’s big, strong and fast as well. So there’s nothing obvious holding him back, could become a fantastic player.

4 Likes

It’s about him having games and training sessions with the likes of VVD , Matip. That’s what is going to improve our current lot of defenders even more. And primarily the reason why I’d still keep hold of Matip. He’s very injury prone but the games that he does play, his level isn’t that far below VVD

3 Likes

And he never needs a run of games to play well, he literally goes in cold and is amazing. That is exactly what you want from a backup center back, bar him being made of soggy rich teas.

2 Likes

Who’s mentioned him leaving? We certainly couldn’t sell him, even if we wanted to.

I said I was concerned he might not return from his injury, as it’s now the third serious knee injury he’s had.

We’ve not really seen much of Gomez in rehab, and I think spending 40m on a centre back (which would I think would be somewhere around the fifth-ish biggest fee in our history?) indicates that we see him as Van Dijk’s partner, and there are enough concerned over Gomez to suggest that at the very least it’s still a long road back from him yet.

2 Likes

If the Echo are reporting we are in talks, it must be done!

2 Likes

I remember doing the Carragher dance in clubs in 00s. Big hoof to the left or right

Sadly the price tag for Konate does suggest this. Such a shame as Gomez is by far the most talented English CB

1 Like

Interesting last line in there that a Konate arrival means we likely won’t make Kabak permanent. Personally I think Nat has done enough to warrant being a fifth choice option and with only so much money to go around, it makes sense to keep him and let Kabak walk.

VvD, Gomez, Matip and Konate with Nat as fifth choice and knowing we could in an absolute emergency drop in Williams or Fabinho seems to be cover enough to me.

I think Klopp perhaps underestimated what Phillips in particular could offer hence moving Fabinho and Henderson back before turning to Nat. Now we know he can be a solid, if unspectacular option, that feels like a strong enough set up for next season.

5 Likes

They made a good point on the TAW - Kobak would cost £18-20m but you dont watch him and think he is on a higher level to Phillips so might as well send Kobak back and give Phillips improved deal as a reward for this season.

2 Likes
What will Konate be leaning on?
  • Pile of broken Centre Backs
  • A bit of edgy urban wall at Kirkby that just isn’t the same if we’re being honest
  • No lean - 15 second soft focus video reveal for the TikTok generation
  • Mo Salah, like the rest of the team has for a year.
  • There’ll be a table and a blag contract or something.
  • Big Virg, but don’t lean too hard Ibra, lad.
  • A nineties throwback goalpost
  • A crutch, just to give everyone nightmares
  • Still think this isn’t happening

0 voters

Off you go…

1 Like

With matip, Gomez, konate all fit (if it ever happens lol) it’ll be interesting to see who starts next to Virgil. I still think it’s Matip (without seeing new guy…), but unfortunately can only reasonably count on him playing 10 to 15 games… and not sure when those games will come.

Those 4 plus Phillips (if we convince him to stay as 5 choice) looks good, assuming all injured cbs are currently on track to be fit at start of season. If Gomez or vvd won’t be ready at start of season, I’d think hard about activating Kabak as well.

I guess it depends if you are blind or not. Kabak is (for me) better than Phillips at everything bar heading the ball.

My view is if Phillips is happy being 5th choice next season he will stay but if he wants 1st team football we will sell him and bring in Kabak.

6 Likes

Who will start with VVD? Whoever is fit I reckon! Typically JK likes new signings to bed-in before facing a baptism of fire, so Konate will be on the bench at first I think- unless he REALLY impresses in preseason that is. Such are the fitness records of our current crop of CBs, it could even be Phillips!

Now it is a done deal according to Romano.

1 Like

Anything definite? Any reliable sources?

Huh…???

1 Like

Kirkby is better than Melwood anyway but I am biased.

3 Likes

you have to hope Kobak wants to be 5th choice as well cos when all fit hes way behind the 3 first choice CBs and then Konate will turn up.

Please stay fit, please stay fit, please stay fit, please stay fit, please stay fit, please stay fit,

I Hope Please GIF

11 Likes