Ibrahima Konate (CB) RB Leipzig

Kabak is 21, he has time on his side. I’d expect him to be happy not playing much but being at the club.

Matip and Van Dijk are both 29 and coming back from long injuries.

I also don’t believe he is “way” behind, he’s done exceptionally well since coming in.

4 Likes

I think having Fabinho as back up as 6th option isn’t bad but if we can keep Phillips it would be useful for us.

2 Likes

Konate has the ingredients to be dominant, like Van Dijk. Don’t want to get ahead of myself, but he looks a very good player. He will have plenty of time to come in, settle, and show what he can do.

I think Philipps has exceeded expectations and takes the spot of Kabak in the group. Kabak is slightly unlucky, as he came in and let nobody down, and as a young player himself, there is more to come from him. But even at 18M, with Philips already here, I’m sure the club decided it is better to invest that money elsewhere in the side.

VVD, Gomez, Konate, Matip, Philips.

It’s a good group. And that’s before we go deeper to Williams, Davies, or consider Fabinho there again. There are some injury question marks around the group, but enough players there to not have the sort of difficulties we had this season.

Konate, very good signing.

Add Bissouma, or other midfielder, and then a late window surprise on a striker?

5 Likes

James Pearce also in on the act now. Says Kabak not in our plans, and may end up at Liepzig. Would make sense. We also won’t finalize until after U21 tourney, so fingers crossed no major injury.

2 Likes

That would be the thought behind the two-part medical being reported right? See him get through the U21 Euros first? Especially if we are triggering a release clause as there is less meddling the selling club can do.

I think he already has a good deal, a very good deal for his ability. If he’s getting a wage hike selling him if possible then looks interesting. Same deal with better clean sheet bonus and appearance fee?

I think I read that somewhere that RB want Kabak to replace Konate so to make things easier we wont be signing him.

I just hope that the club have done their research on Konate as we already have 2 CBs made of dust and dont want another so if he does get injured in u/21 it could be a £38m blessing.

Just in…

The human side of this, I feel for Kabak because his heart is fully at this club. This was his dream move. And now he will have to start again.

As fans we only get a glimpse behind the curtain for training and decisions. I do wonder what went into the decision making process that the Club didn’t want to exercise the £18M option for a player they had at the club, but chose to invest (around) £30M for a player from another club.

Even if they were to exercise the 18M option and loan him out it still would represent an investment, given Kabak’s upside. Maybe possible in a different financial climate. I do wish this kid success. I wasn’t at all for the move originally, but he grew on me and I really wanted him to succeed.

12 Likes

Kabak’s not going to be happy with potentially being 5th choice, Nat will be fine with it. Makes no sense for Liverpool OR Kabak to stay.

Good business. Nat’s saved us some money here as well as our bacon this season. Should probably get a statue.

Bissouma or Camavinga next.

Then sales.

Then a final flourish.

8 Likes

This is my thinking as well. It’s a decent amount of money to spend on someone to not make an immediate impact, but I’d imagine that to start the season without Matip and Virgil something would either have had to have gone wrong with one of those, or better than expected with Konate. Neither is out of the question, but if I were betting that would be a confident bet.

2 Likes

The Reddy!

3 Likes

Makes you wonder what Ben Davies is when Ozan is “last-ditch”…

15 Likes

This doesn’t make sense, to me. If we consider the best possible scenario then VVD and the new CB (no idea who he might be and his fitness record) are the primary pair and Gomez, Matip, and Kabak are in a three-way tie for the third-choice CB.

I hope he doesn’t get injured in this U21 competition. That would really mess us up.

3 Likes

Konate and VVD will be the starting pair, Gomez the 3rd choice rotation option and Matip the emergency cover 4th option.

Hopefully reduced games for Gomez and
Matip will help them stay fit and available and push comes to shove both are good enough to step into the 1st choice pairing for a prolonged period.

With Konate I think we have the best 4 CB rotation in the league maybe in Europe just have to keep them on the park.

If Nat is happy to hang about as a 5th option happy days but I wouldnt count on it now he’s had a taste of regular 1st team
Football at the highest level. His value will never be higher than right now too I think we may allow him to move once our 1st teamers come back into the squad.

2 Likes

C’mon, Ozan. It was a joke. Of course we want you.

7 Likes

:rofl:

On a serious note, I heard that the deal will only be finalized (we will pay) once Kona returns from that tournament.

3 Likes

I’m not really sure why Nagelsmann is pursuing Ozan if it’s true the only reason Konate isn’t breaking the XI because he’s not as speedy as Upamecano or Halstenberg.

I fear we’ll regret this one. Certainly I don’t see him walking into the XI over a fully fit Gomez.

What me leaves me slightly puzzled is where was Caleta-Car in all this, as that deal was supposed to be a permanent one.

4 Likes

I think he is the other option they like, but easier to just pay release clause now.

1 Like