Jordan Henderson (CM) to Al-Ettifaq

Has he announced he is staying yet? :billed_cap:

He’ll do so after finding out we couldn’t agree a deal with the Saudi’s…a classic PR advocated stunt pulled off with his agent.

“It was never my attention to leave this wonderful club I hold so dear to my heart, the 35m a year tax free deal doesn’t come close when it comes to wearing the captaincy’s armband and walking out in front of 60000 every week”

I wonder if the silence is the clue…but could prove me wrong…I hope it doesn’t.

1 Like

Finally have a bit of time to share my thoughts.

Haven’t recovered from Stevie going there and then Hendo considering it.

First time I’m ashamed to be a Liverpool fan.

Out of all people Hendo. Club captain. Class act throughout his career. Someone who compensated lack of talent with a strong character.

Klopp had no plans to sell him. Jordan had no plans to leave. After last season he is the kind of guy to lead by example and give everything to put things right. Take us back to CL no matter if he plays less.

He was about to do that and returned to preseason in the best shape of his life.

I’m sure not rejecting the offer immediately damaged his reputation for many supporters.

If he stays the headlines will often read ‚wantaway Liverpool captain on bench again‘.

Two weeks ago I’ve posted somewhere that Henderson’s character and leadership will be needed here for one or two more years - even if he plays less.

Now i have doubts if a wantaway Captain is helpfull and worth keeping.

4 Likes

I am curious about ‘if Hendo stays’ after this. If he does, does he retain his captaincy? It sounds like a tough position that he has found himself in, and it appears, at least in past history, that he does not take well to not being a starter, and may have a hard time accepting the limitations of age. It may be that he needs to push a deal through, and make the move, so that the club can move on.

Has there ever been any doubt that he would stay…no comments have been made by player or club…perhaps he looks at all the press speculation and laughs…who knows

1 Like

Would be happy if Hendo retires in 3-4 years and takes up a club role. 20 million and very good wages for him and he wants to go then I m fine. But if that’s not the case I will be more than happy if he stays with us and we lift the premiership again under his able leadership. He is a Liverpool legend!!

1 Like

If SG had not gone, it is unlikely Hendo would have been approached in the first place… maybe.!

1 Like

If he is willing to accept an offer from the Saudi club, it doesn’t automatically make him “a wantaway captain”.

Indeed, I think a lot depends on the context of how it’s gone down between Hendo and Klopp.

“Hey boss, look, I’ve had this offer and it’s insane money, I’d be crazy to not explore this if that’s ok”

Is a lot different to:

“I want out boss, I don’t want to play the role you’ve laid out for me next season and I want to leave.”

If it’s closer to scenario A I don’t think it would be too difficult to reintegrate him with the group.

4 Likes

The media will make him the wantaway captain and that’s another unnecessary distraction. Just like this whole thing is an unnecessary distraction for our preseason.

Another thing:
Depending on who the third new midfielder is it might limit Hendos game time even more.

Even if Hendo and Thiago both stay? Would defo have too many mids then. Could play the season out with Lavia bedding in, and getting the experience of them both, then go in next summer if needs want.

It wont matter what the media says. It wont affect the team.

1 Like

Tô me and what we know it doesn’t seem like he is forcing a move, that make a lot of difference.

1 Like

FIFY

Coutinho effectively went on strike then in games after he wasn’t allowed to leave he got the armband so whats the issue.

1 Like

I guess the difference in that Coutinho scenario, is that Coutinho was still an out and out starter. In Hendo’s case, I don’t think that he going to be that this year if he stays. And as I mentioned, in recent history Hendo appears to throw a tamtrum if he is not starting.

Erm, no he doesn’t

He hasn’t thrown many tantrums then. :roll_eyes:

I thought that I had read a few articles, a couple of years back, mentioning that Kloff saide dealing with Hendo, when he is not playing, was a difficult task. Intimating that Hendo doesn’t handle that position well. Tantrum was probably the wrong term, but if I am remembering those articles correctly, Hendo may not do well if he stays for the upcomming season.