Jordan Henderson (CM) to Al-Ettifaq

As I say if they fancy going over there then their hunger must have gone.

1 Like

We still have plenty of winning experience in there with TAA,Robbo,Allison,VvD,Salah

2 Likes

And

Thanks to Jordan Henderson , been a model professional during time at the club. Fighting back to the reckoning after Rodgers wanted him out and then becoming the captain. Becoming a very good captain as well (winning it all).

I would have wanted for it to end better than what it has come to. Hope he’s happy with the money that he’s earning even if it meant sacrificing his principles (maybe those really weren’t true in the first place).

4 Likes

show me the mullah says hendo!!

Show Me The Money GIF - Show Me The Money GIFs|833x510.1706827309237

Ah it’s more relaxed where I am from. Wouldn’t be sai to insult. Obviously hard to tell over text.

He looked a miserable sod.

true…I for one pass no judgements… Jus grateful to have witnessed some of the best football we have ever played in my lifetime…and both Fab and Hendo played a large large role in that… good luck to them and their families

1 Like

Good luck Jordan and thanks for the memories.

3 Likes

Of course. What I meant is that losing four major pillars over the last years within one single summer could prove to be too much.

1 Like

Hopefully as Hendo and Fabinho complete their moves, we act quickly on incoming.

I suspect we have one or two lined up, ready to pull the trigger, but didn’t want to leave ourselves bloated and paying loads of wages, should the deals for Henderson or Fabinho fall through.

Mixed feelings on it all, tbh.

I can’t stand what the Saudi leadership does. (I’m trying to be careful in saying Saudi leadership, as I would imagine the majority of the people in the country are reasonable enough, but at this time, stuck with their leaders).

Part of me wishes we didn’t do any business with them.

Then again, we have already done plenty of business with dodgy characters over the years, and it is probably naive to expect football to be the one industry to draw the line with Saudi Arabia, when numerous companies and governments are entrenched.

Two older midfielders, offering diminishing returns on the pitch, bringing in 50-60M? The fees and wages could be invested to get a better return on the pitch at this stage. Good deal from a footballing perspective.

Leadership drain? It’s a fair point, but equally, we have other leaders who are seasoned, like today’s captain. We also have younger leaders who have joined the club and Mac and Szobo will put down their own markers as we go. Finally, we have been growing leaders along the way, and the likes of TAA will now find more of their own leadership voice. I think we will be quite ok for leadership.

1 Like

While I think we’ll be finishing in the top 4 , loss of so many players (and the experience) would be too much. Not something that Klopp needed at this time. Now Liverpool are in panic buy mode and they rarely end well.

We are not in panic buy mode.

5 Likes

We’ll get 1 or 2 signings immediately. But the focus would have shifted back to adding numbers in midfield as opposed to getting a LCB. That’s the disappointing part in this.

Disappointed, but wish him the best of luck. He’s big enough to make his own decisions in life without us wading in and has done enough on and off the pitch to deserve our respect.

Think he would have had a big part to play with us for another couple seasons even if it became more bit part. Don’t imagine the club were going to stand in his way if he wanted to leave, and he’s earned that.

I believe the samosas in Chop Chop Square are really very good…enjoy Jordan

1 Like

Nope. Targets will have been lined up. I’m guessing that the threat of Fab and Hendo exiting the building was news to no one at the club, least of all Klopp and his recruitment team.

2 Likes

For sure the leadership will be missed, but I think the timing could work out well. It will allow others to naturally fill those leadership roles within the squad while Klopp is still firmly in charge.

1 Like

If we as a club really were concerned by losing these two, we would have done what we have done every time in the past and put our foot down to ensure the deals didn’t go through.

Yet what we’ve done is made a bargain basement deal on Henderson and extracted a decent figure for Fab who both- let’s be completely honest - we were desperate to sell while they still had value, and we almost certainly have a plan to reinvest that in another younger midfielder. I say ‘almost certain’ because to not have a plan when you are clearly putting midfielders in the shop window would be pure negligence, but I really don’t think that could possibly be the case…Shirley!

1 Like

Yeah but I still can’t really figure why he would want to go there? Money isn’t everything in life. Hendo sacrifices an iconic status at the club with this move, and he must know that. That’s what is so disappointing from my point of view.

And I agree that he would have had a big role to play in the next one or two seasons. I just don’t get it to be honest.

1 Like

Fair, but it will need time. Meanwhile, we’ll most probably be that little bit less competitive. The difference between a title challenge, and fighting for top four.

1 Like

How do I make sense of the move?

First of all, money talks. Hendo has had his head turned by that. He is near to the end of his career, and now has a chance to make a lot more than he would have expected, before he hangs up his boots.

Second, while we don’t know this, my thinking is that Hendo and Klopp had a chat, and Henderson would have wanted assurances on playing time, and probably didn’t hear what he wanted to hear. So a diminishing role on the pitch was another factor in being open to a move.

A distant third/fourth is probably the chance to link up with Stevie and grow the game in Saudi, plus the chance to experience a new country and culture in the sunshine.