Jordan Henderson (CM) to Al-Ettifaq

Why is it “vital”? :thinking:

Milner going , firmino going and now henderson. There’s a distinct lack of experience in the midfield.

Also people to set the standards while training etc

1 Like

That’s the job of the coaching team, especially Jürgen.

As for the importance of experience, in football it’s vastly overrated. Ability is far more important.

2 Likes

Love Henderson. He did his best and was a fine captain. Can’t blame him or anyone else for giving Saudi money a go. Not bothered.

I also love this midfield cleanout. It’s a massive flushing of aging legs. Beautiful and unconflicted.

1 Like

Likewise - don’t care.

y
There is no evidence the club were coerced into this move. It is entirely possible that the club were willing to let Hendo leave because he was in decline.

6 Likes

If this is going through then I’m quite sad about it. If Hendo wants a final big payout from an elephant’s graveyard league then that’s his perogative although I’d rather it was MSL than this. However, I still feel he has something to offer here on and off the pitch.

I think the main sadness is that he is our last player signed by Dalglish. Breaking that link feels like the end of an era. Obviously it would have happened in the next couple of years anyway but this feels abrupt rather than with, say, Shankly’s last player, Phil Thompson, who gradually phased out in favour of younger players.

I’m just wondering who will take over the captain’s armband. I think Trent would be my preference although obviously there are a few candidates.

2 Likes

Who had it today?

I disagree with this. Look at Real Madrid. There is a reason why they have been so successful in the last years: they managed a fine transition between their aging players (ie. Kroos, Modric, whom many were writing off at some point of their careers there) and the new ones progressively coming in.

Winning experience is crucial.

1 Like

I would say that Modric and Kroos are technically outstanding and that’s why they were so important to the team.

1 Like

Modric even now looks a far better player than Henderson and Fabinho looked last season.

I would have liked to keep Henderson but so be it.

4 Likes

Alisson, Trent, Virgil, Matip, Gomez, Robertson, Thiago, Salah. All won a shed load, have plenty of experience and more importantly the gravitas to set the standards for those new guys coming in. One of whom is the captain of his country, the other just won the world cup.

Let’s not forget standards slipped last year with Henderson, Milner and Fabinho in the side.

3 Likes

You’re entitled to your opinion.

But you’re wrong. :wink:

My sentiments exactly.

I’m sorry Herr Schmadtke, but that fee is abysmal. I seem to recall us selling Dominic Solanke to Bournemouth (let alone the Saudis) for GBP 19M not too long ago.

1 Like

It is two players whose performances were most criticized last season and neither of whom was in the preferred starting XI for this coming season of very many fans even before we bought anyone else.

They are loses, but even if they were kept on they would represent losses compared to the versions who helped us win stuff. These moves needed to happen to enable the addition of next generation of players who have the juice left in them to get us back competing.

1 Like

I simply did not expect it from Henderson, he did not seem the type to go there, especially since his open support for the gay community. Well, it only proves you can be wrong about people.

Still thank him for his service and wish him well but I can’t say that I’m sorry to see him go, he hardly ever impressed me with his football ability.

Kroos and Modric are both obviously very experienced players. Not too bad at the old footy, too!

It is a fair point to say we have lost a lot of experience.
We also need to bear in mind the experience we still have at the club.

Upper age players, primo operators, who won’t let standards slip e.g. VVD, Alisson, Robbo, Mo.

New players, MacAllister and Szoboszlai- ready made leaders, younger than the above, and ready to stamp their mark on it.

Players stepping up e.g. Trent, who will find their leadership voice as we go. Maybe even Jones will come into this group, if he plays a lot.

I think we will be better for ability on the pitch with the midfield changes, and while we will lose some experience, we’ve got it covered.

1 Like

Be honest Solanke has probably paid that back. He was instrumental in their promotion and chipped in with a few last season.

4 Likes

I am disappointed with Henderson’s decision. He’s been a fantastic captain for the team and while going to Saudi does nothing to detract from that, my personal opinion of him (along with Bobby and Fabinho) has been irrevocably diminished.

I completely understand it’s a lot of money. But I personally don’t understand when you already have lot of money, why you need more money. It’s not like he would have to play for free if he stayed here or went to the MLS. But that’s just my own opinion.

As I’ve said before, I’m sure he couldn’t give a shit about my opinion. I just think it’s a real shame.

5 Likes

£12M for a 33 year old,

i’m happy with that.

4 Likes