Jude Bellingham (Real Madrid)

You only got to look at the difference between Bellingham and Sancho’s international careers so far to see that there is a stark difference between the two.

Different competition for places also. England were really thin in CM in last years. They’ve welcomed with open arms the likes of Rice and Bellingham. Phillips was a starter until the Euro’s final on the back of 1 season in the PL.

Sure, there’s a possibility that the whole hype and price right now is a bit higher than the player he is at the moment. But that’s what comes with the package.

I don’t have much problems with Bellingham the player today (not that Sancho’s story would make me worried or that Jude would burn out as a player at 25), I would sign him if we could pull it off financially and also beat the competition. But we most probably won’t.

A lot of the most expensive players ever are not all successful or as it was hoped they would be. But that’s why those end up at clubs who can afford them and attract them.

1 Like

Bellingham is like Alisson and VVD. A transformative player who can do everything and will bolster the midfield massively. Yes he’s expensive but there are loads of reasons to get him. Hopefully a deal can be done this summer.

6 Likes

Poor reference using internationals
Bellingham plays regular first team football, Sancho doesn’t.
Harry Maguire is a nailed on England international starter.
Enough said.

He played almost every game before the world cup but has had a series of injuries and illnesses since coming back. As recently as February an injury was reported in the Spanish press as being “a blow for Real with key player out through injury”

1 Like

From what you hear it seems pretty clear that Bellingham not only has a better head on his shoulders but a much better support system surrounding him than Sancho. There has been hype and pressure on him since he was 16 and so far he’s gone on to captain his club at 19 and shine both at a World Cup and in the Champions League.

There aren’t many players at that age that you can look at and can guarantee they will fulfil their potential, I’d say he’s the safest bet England have produced since Rooney came onto the scene.

1 Like

Jeez, I thought the reference was applicable to the discussion tbh. My point was that even when Sancho was playing regularly for Dortmund (and doing well) he wasn’t making am impact for England. Where as Bellingham has shone for England at a major tournament and is now a guaranteed starter.

I’m going to pick holes now…

Sure, the fact Harry Maguire exists can be used to disprove a lot of theories based on logic. But as you point out he is a nailed on starter for England, yet he doesn’t play for Man Utd, so the fact Sancho doesn’t have regular first team football can’t be used as an argument for his failure at international level.

Then again as @Zoran said there is a big difference in competition in their respective positions. So I’ll shut up now.

It’s easy to dismiss Sancho because Hindsight is great. But nobody can deny at one point, he looks destined for great things and touted by many. We know so far how that is gone. Nobody says Bellingham is the same player as Sancho. But it does not mean his career will not go down the same path. But of course it can also propel the other way. The question is, are we the club to pay 130m to find out which statement is true? The fact is nobody knows which way it is going to go for a young player. But we do not flinch at getting someone else to pay a heavy price to find out.

Of course we do have to buy players and spend decent money for good players but not 130m on one player and hoping he is going to be great and win everything for us. Anyone wants to guarantee that on their own money?

They Pull Me Back In Al Pacino GIF by The Godfather

3 Likes

I reckon it will be next summer, 2024, for 75M.

Dortmund will want to dig their heels in after setting a crazy price. To be fair they would probably achieve it if the oil clubs have at it. But if Bellingham wants Liverpool, we are still in the driving seat.

We put a bid in already, 85M with add ons, rising to 100M one would think.

Dortmund said no. We walked from the deal.

Two options for them, (arguably three) if Bellingham wants us:

Deal with us now, at the price offered; deal with us next summer for a lesser fee; or the player comes on a Bosman the following year.

From Dortmund’s perspective, one more year seems the best bet. They have a top player for another year. And if they were never going to get 135M+ for him, because he wants Liverpool and we won’t pay that, then they still get a good fee.

Just speculating, but I think one more year, and he comes to Liverpool. Obviously if he signs for another club it’s all over.

In the meantime, we can and should be improving our side, especially in the engine room. There are a number of quality midfielders out there who can offer the much needed boost in athleticism to our engine room.

Worst insult ever.

Unless Jude gets a bad injury next year in which case his value could drop quite a bit. You’d expect Jude to hit most of the addon clauses so perhaps £100m or so now is better for them than £80m next year but risking even less if he gets injured. I suppose it depends on whether they think keeping him for a year is worth the £20m plus his wages plus the risk of injury.

One of the very few times my foresight was aligned with hindsight. The guy just reeked of unwarranted swag.

If he has eyes for us, that will definitely be their calculus, and arguably it’s a toss up between this summer and next, at that point.

1 Like

Hope its this year. We need someone badly and if we think we’re getting him next year i really see Klopp having to make do with maybe just 1 midfielder to add to the bunch already here. I dont see us spending a lot on midfielders this year if we think we’ll be getting Jude next year.

Bellingham, one other midfielder at a lower price, plus Ndicka on a Bosman to replace Matip, and I’d be happy with that.

1 Like

I don’t like him looking at he behaved in the Manures but for some to dismiss him saying ‘I knew he was never going to be any good’ is just pure hindsight. It’s as ridiculous as predicting that Bellingham is a sure success. He is not. He just have a great potential to be.

fixed it

2 Likes

Jim Carrey Vomit GIF

that’s awfully dramatic. what do you have against the starting midfielder next to Tchouameni in the World Cup for France?