Jude Bellingham (Real Madrid)

I do think ideas change, there seemed to be a fair bit behind Neuhaus and then that didn’t resurface at all this summer (though by all accounts he had a poor season).

I do think we are in for two with Bellingham our number one choice, but if it doesn’t happen I do think we will sign two.

It might be an exercise in semantics, but I’m always aware how criticism turns into process of going well over the top.

Every single one of the lads on our books are substantially better than ‘decent’.

What we’re short of, as players age and struggle with injury, is genuine world class quality.

2 Likes

I think you’re over thinking this.

We’re short. Decent, pretty good, world class, it doesn’t make a lot of difference how you want to phrase it. Right now we’re short of fit and readily available options of the required level for a team with our aspirations and there’s a good chance that will be the case for a large part of the season.

3 Likes

Definitions are a funny thing, but all our midfielders are decent, at least, in terms of their ability. One or two are aging out, and one or two are trying to establish themselves, so the context is important.

The main issue is the durability of the group, as a whole. Too many of them are not available enough.

Arthur has come in to boost the ranks at the last minute. Hopefully he proves to be a shrewd acquisition and surprises us with what he can do. We’ll see.

In the meantime, you would have to think that a reset of the group is on the cards, with at least three midfield exits by next summer.

It also depends what you’re benchmarking against.

Compared to most professional footballers all of them are exceptional.

Compared to your average Premier League midfielders, most of them are really good.

Compared to the best in the game, some of them are decent, one or two are exceptional and one or two you’d say have the potential to be really good but right now they’d fall into the category of decent players but with high ceilings for development for a side with our ambitions.

I don’t think that’s an over the top criticism or perspective when looked through the lens of us competing to be the best side in the world.

2 Likes

Which would be true if it wasn’t for crippling recurrent injuries. I remember (just) AOC terrorising opponents and smashing the ball in from 25m. Would you say he’s currently (that’s the critical word) better than decent? Same for Naby? Better than decent? Today? Tomorrow? Next week? December?

We Are Doomed Reaction GIF

“Liverpool will try for sure. Real Madrid have followed Bellingham for a long time so let’s see if they decide to try or not - it’s not decided. Man City are following him, Man United for a while. The race will be huge.” [@FabrizioRomano]

1 Like

realistically, it’s a long shot to sign Bellingham. We saw what happened with Real Madrid when they flashed their pearly whites at Tchouameni… it will depend on how the player is motivated, if it’s by money then likely he’ll end up at City or Old Trafford because they’ll likely lure him with a huge salary like they did with Sancho.

1 Like

I think you have a good perspective.

We are short in the middle, carrying too many players who aren’t giving us enough on the pitch.

Arthur came as some last minute help. Hopefully he proves to be a shrewd signing.

There’s a sense in which the engine department is going through a reset. The timing of that, and how we have gone about our business, will reveal how close to the wind we are sailing. If we have a turd of a season, there’s plenty of scope for legitimate criticism.

My hope is we start to find some rhythm, remember that we can play, and make something good of the season in hand, then add two midfielders by next summer who will improve us both now and in years to come.

1 Like

Nah he will sign for Jurgen and be happy with less than half the wages.

Isn’t that what happens?
I’m shattered!

1 Like

Is ok Jude

:upside_down_face:

6 Likes

I glad this wasn’t recorded recently.

Don’t look at the tweet replies. Football Twitter is really horrible.

1 Like

Fixed that for you.

1 Like

I looked. Just a load of Liverpool fans saying this means he wants to come here. Nothing horrible at all.

1 Like

Oh good, a question about Messi or Ronaldo. Never heard that one before. :sleeping:

2 Likes

Yip, just like those movies where people swap bodies, such a unique idea.

Face Off Movie GIF