Jude Bellingham (Real Madrid)

The source is SportBild…they’re a pile of garbage.

3 Likes

They not charging us extra to take Naby?

Madness if we’re losing sleep over this lad, tbh.

We’re not. He’s shite.

Anthony Anderson Reaction GIF

Jude Bellingham if he signs for us otherwise he is Jude Bellend

If we sign him, great. If we don’t, I’m sure we will sign two other midfielders by the end of summer 2023, maybe even three if the midfield reset goes deeper than contract expirations, and we take advantage of a Bosman situation.

I’d like Bellingham, but all my hopes aren’t on that, and I doubt all our eggs are in that basket either (unless it’s already pretty much done).

2 Likes

Tbh if we pay that amount of money for him, then we may as well join that euro super League that they wanted to a while ago, amount of money being bandied about whilst we are all getting hammered on every front and then you see shit like this for ONE player is disgusting.

What ever happened in looking towards the lower leagues, seems as though we have have become a little lesser than city and other plastic clubs, where if we can be seen either bidding or actually paying stupid money for an individual then it somehow makes us an elite club, which given what the Liverpool way (admittedly is open to interpretation) is almost confirmation that we have become too far detached to the vision that shanks built .

2 Likes

I have loads of sympathy for this. The money being paid out is obscene, that the bubble that has been predicted to burst for years, just keeps inflating.

On the other hand, we caught in a trap of that’s what it takes to compete at the top. I can see how it would go down if FSG said they were making a principled stance against the staggering sums in football.

Personally, I would love to see the club developing young talent, and I think we are definitely going in the right direction with Carvalho, Elliot, Bajcetic and Morton. Mind you, Liverpool could win a fucking quadruple with academy graduates, and you know what the numpties on Twitter would say about our net spend…

8 Likes

This was supposed to be a cursory look in to reduce the number of unread posts I have. But the conversation got interesting.

We, and the game as a whole are stuck in a downward spiral. Standards are so high now that we’re having to spend eye watering sums to stay still. The difference between 1st and 2nd is a gnats cock. And that’s all down to the chasing pack mentality of clubs trying to keep up with City.

Part of would love us to just leave it all behind somehow. I’d love for us to be buying the Bellingham’s before they become the superstars and our whole transfer policy sits strictly in that zone. But that can’t happen sadly, even though we’re already doing more than most.

Bellingham was in the lower leagues

this seems oddly familar…

1 Like

At the age of 18 Dele Alli had 16 goals from midfield for MK Dons in League One.

Wish we would find someone like that.

1 Like

And didn’t we explore signing him but he chose Dortmund for playing time reasons?

Fabio is that to me , 10 goals and 8 assists in the championship last season at only 19.

4 Likes

I think we have a little from column A and B.

In column A yes, the money is obscene and it is so different to the world Shanks lived in. The acceptable face of that, to me, is that we are at least spending our own money and are not artificially inflated.

In column B we still have an eye for a player, and while it’s not Keegan from Scunthorpe, or Rush from Chester, and so on, we are still doing the modern version of that, somewhat at least, with the likes of Elliott, Carvalho, Bacjetic.

As a club I think we manage to straddle the world we came from and the world we live in. It’s not fully satisfactory either way, but there isn’t any other club I’d swap with.

4 Likes

I think to me, the principle is more important than the amount. The principle that we spend big only when absolutely necessary and not frivolously stocking up on players by buying as the first option is important. This means when we spend say big on VVD or Alisson or Nunez or even if we spend a club record say on Jude, then this principle of exception rather than a norm like some rich clubs, would sit comfortable with me.

Having said that, while Jude looks the perfect player for the next decade for us, I would struggle to say that he is a must buy especially if it really goes to a bidding war of 130mil and upwards, not even talking about wages. It would have to be a perfect storm for us to sign Jude i.e he only wants to join us, we offer enough for Dortmund to not feel held hostage and for other clubs not to go crazy in trying to turn the player head.

4 Likes

Joe Gomez and Fabio Carvalho were signed directly out of the lower leagues.

Unfortunately, unlike 20 years ago, there just isn’t enough talent outside of the top 1% of clubs in the world to sustain a transfer policy for a club aiming to win everything.

Winning every trophy available actually isn’t that important to me anymore, I’ve already seen the club lift every trophy, so I wouldn’t mind becoming more focused on internal development and promotion than chasing the latest 100m superstar but that would never fly with the majority of the fanbase. Especially those who don’t even watch the games, they seem to be pandered to more than anyone thesedays.

6 Likes

The two greatest players in the history of Liverpool FC (in my opinion) were signed from Linfield and Lochgelly Violet.

The world has changed, of course, but it’s a player’s accomplishments that make him a great, not his transfer fee.

4 Likes

Nothing better than finding a lower league gem. We have history in doing that and I’d welcome more of it, if such a thing is possible in the modern game.

Heard Elisah Scott being talked about by shanks on the BBC Liverpool doco of the 80s in unusual terms for a goalkeeper: “he’s got everything, speed, guts determination”; and Billy Liddel was obviously a goalscoring supremo who would have scored probably double the goals if not for WW2 but interesting that you’d put Scott above Dalglish. For me Ian Callaghan would also be worth a mention as the only player that bridged the second division through to winning European Cups and bringing in Dalglish and Souness. A Jamie Carragher type stalwart but with talent who also won everything and didn’t run his mouth off afterwards. Also played for Canberra in the NSL which is just a mindblowing combination.

2 Likes