Jude Bellingham (Real Madrid)

I kind of agree with your point(s), If the player is a diehard fan of a certain team and can control that aspect then yeah.
I am a dedicated Liverpool fan, I would pay to play. If we were playing championship football I would still sign for Liverpool ahead of any other team because thats is my dream.
As level headed as any individual maybe, you still have to ensure you are secure financially, and so I have no disrespect for players making decisions, which goes against their wishes.
Lets be honest, a once in a life time offer to join a team with history/pedigree like RM, Barca, Liverpool, Man Utd, the Milan’s, Munich, etc, can sway anyone’s view, especially when you are being coached by/training with players who you admire.

As you alluded to, JB and his team seem to be level headed and so irrelevant of whether he signs for us, I hope they will choose the best path for his progression.

Not really arsed about what the fee would be to be honest, this is a 19 year old who is already an elite level midfield player. Other than Owen and Rooney I can’t remember an English player who has looked like as much as a sure thing as he does at such a young age. Elliot and Jones are decent players but they aren’t even close to being on his level.

2 Likes

Well said, also if he has anything about him he won’t be bullied by that supposed stance!

Tbf their midfield is a different level to ours currently, and set for years if JB signs. Money isn’t the only factor

2 Likes

Gerrard??

1 Like

Nah Gerrard had growing pains which held him back a couple of years and when he broke into the team it was initially at RB. Looked a good player but you wouldn’t have expected him to have the career he did when he was 19.

He was starting beside Ince in midfield when he was 19. Scored couple of crackers. I remember watching him at the age and he looked unreal. Super confident. He won the treble when he was 20

2 Likes

Treble was 00-01; 99-00 was the first season he started to establish himself in midfield and when he started in 98-99 (he turned 19 at the end of the season) he played at RB and looked promising but not a 100m (equivalent) player.

Foden?

Blackmailing teenagers doesn’t sound like the brightest strategy in the world imo but what do I know.

Today in “further proof we’re never buying Bellingham” there are reports of a 150 mil price tag

1 Like

Given everything that we’ve seen the excellent Swiss Ramble talk about our spending patterns, I’d be highly surprised if generically speaking, transfer fees were the problem as opposed to the player’s wages.

We didn’t hesitate with Virgil, we didn’t hesitate with Nuñéz, I don’t think we hesitated with Tchouameni.

Of course, that whole line of thought doesn’t line up with Mbappe himself saying that we were in for him this summer, but I think on the whole we are disciplined with regards to wages more so than anything else. It makes complete sense given that a transfer fee is a one-off, but you have to leave room for wage increases with new contracts.

2 Likes

It doesn’t really matter what Dortmund demand. They can put a price tag on him of eleventy billion pounds, but the fact is that Bellingham will have two years left on his contract in the summer, and he won’t be signing another one.

This is the point where Dortmund always sell, and Jude will be the one deciding where to go. As long as his choice of club doesn’t take the piss, everyone will be fine.

I think he’ll end up going for somewhere around £100m.

1 Like

I guess what the club are currently looking at is how does it all stack up…

For arguements sake say this is the price points;

Bellingham - £100mil
Caciedo - £60mil
Laimer - £15mil
Nevez - £25mil
Guimarães - £70mil
Fernandez - £70mil

You could see why the Laimer links make sense if we are confident of getting Bellingham, a low cost player with a high value.

2 Likes

I know this is just a rough estimate but I would think Neves would be closer to £40m wouldn’t he?

I wonder how open Wolves would be to selling him this winter?

Isn’t Laimer recovering from a serious operation. :thinking:

1 Like

Don’t get hung up on the player, it’s more the point. I was using him as an example of a lower cost option.

1 Like

Yes maybe it’s a bit low, his contract expires Jun 30, 2024. Personally I’m not sold on Neves but I know others on here like him. Wolves are always open to sell players I get the impression :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah I have just read the unreliable rumours thread.:no_mouth:

I like him, but he is one of those cases where his story makes me not trust my eyes. He was at one point Porto’s youngest ever CL player, and not as a token but as a properly important players. From that point he was identified as being the next off the Porto production line to Europe’s best clubs. For years there were links to Real, Utd etc and it didnt happen. The Wolves made a big of sense given the Mendes thing, but again he hasnt translated that focus on him into a firm offer from a big club. What is it that he lacking to look so good and yet miss a properly big transfer?

It’s a similar path to Moutinho, and Strootman until he crippled himself.

2 Likes