Jude Bellingham (Real Madrid)

Firstly, the age at which a player is performing is so obviously relevant it’s embarrassing to have to justify referencing it.

Secondly, minutes played provides further context on several factors. Experience. Miles in legs. Whether the stats are merely a snapshot or over a more reliable sample size. Physicality. Trust. Etc.

Both such obviously relevant metrics that citing them really ought to have been uncontentious.

11 Likes

Fair enough, maybe I’m just too shallow minded to take these things into consideration.

For me when it comes to seeing how players compare, it’s all about eyes being fixed on the screen and admiring the talent.

1 Like

do you think he is worth £100m? considering phillips went for £45m and rice is being touted at £150m? Aston Villa wanted curtis jones last year and the fee being mentioned was £15m.

He might well prove to be a great player but for me £40-45m would be the fee and that has to include addons

No I don’t think he’s worth that, then again I didnt think Virgil and Alisson were worth 70m at the time either. You buy the potential in the players which is what we’ve done especially with our last 3-4 signings. I’m on the Simon Jordan boat where I find it ridiculous what we’re all paying for players and their wages in this day an age. What’s the percentage increase been from 2000s to 2010s and then to 2020s, it’s just ridiculous. Which is why I always say it’s better to look at players in the last 12-18months of their contracts because by that time their value has significantly diminished.

1 Like

I don’t think his value will increase. Dortmund will probably have a plan for when to sell him, and if they get to sell on their terms - in cooperation with the player - I think it gets done for a reasonable fee, lower than the rumoured one.

I believe the 100m thing, if it is a thing, is because they have no intention to sell this summer. So if they get ‘forced’ to sell at a time that doesn’t suit them, they demand a relatively silly fee.

2 Likes

It is probably why some members challenge you on things. You appear to have an old fashioned viewpoint and are probably not interested in how far a player ran or what they had for breakfast!

With the fees being paid today and wages everything is examined with a fine toothcomb. You just enjoy the way he plays the game? nothing wrong with that.

Plus he is english which adds a premium! it is a very smart move by dortmund that they started to ‘nick’ talented young english players and gave them game time. Home grown rules coupled with 5 subs - puts them in a great position.

IMO his talent doesn’t equate to £100m though

I’ll try and do that when I get some free time, will require a bit more digging but it’s an interesting hypothesis.

1 Like

This seems like the exact attribute that Klopp and his team look for, alongside the other stats. That’s why most of our team were captaining their national teams at a relatively young age

1 Like

Just to clarify, I didn’t say that. I specifically didn’t bump Bellingham up just for being younger than others and was judging him entirely on the player he is right now. Which, by my stats is a worse player than Pedri, Camavinga, Ramsey and Jones.

Minutes played was brought into the discussion because the very fair point was made that Bellingham had played a lot more than the others. In terms of how that may affect the numbers it could be that the others players numbers were inflated by limited game time - 1 goal in 90 minutes shows up better than 3 goals in 360 minutes when broken down to per 90, for example. (I don’t use goals in my breakdown but it’s just an easy example). Kopstar also raised an interesting point that young players may tail off after a specific number of minutes, something I can’t check right now but hypothetically could be true.

3 Likes

I wonder if the club would pursue a Naby-like deal where we agree to buy him, but that he won’t join us until 2023.

1 Like

I remember Naby’s stats were off the charts at the time

They still are

1 Like

no need to worry about Bellingham or anyone tailing off. Man City fans assure me that all our players use PEDs to combat this :rofl:

3 Likes

I have no problem with being challenged and likewise in return I’d expect others to be the same when I challenge them.

For me the main points to ask yourself, first and foremost is a players attitude and then their injury record and then you ask the players’ agents or reps about their vision for the future etc…how far a player runs falls under the work ethic category does it not? Of course I care about that.

What I don’t care about it Jude being 6 months younger (or older) than another player.
I don’t care that Firmino is 5 years older than Diaz
I don’t care that Trent is like 703 years younger than Milner.

that is very much on par with how i would look at things. In terms of how far a play runs, stats don’t always provide the finer detail, is the player being effective with this? or is he just running around like a headless chicken? we can judge that by watching a player.

Although some might say having me agree with you is not the best thing that can happen :joy:

Agree with your way of thinking.

I think you’re quite underestimating the abilities of our data teams.

1 Like

no! you are assuming i am talking about the staff at the club. I am discussing what the average joe can see from basic stats without watching the player on a regular basis.

Where is the coffee money John?

1 Like

in the tea pot! plus there is a fiver tucked inside the hob nobs.