Jude Bellingham (Real Madrid)

I’d say Ali and Mo were something better than Fiats, but not really Ferraris yet.

That is also open for interpretation of course. I mean, Klopp when he speaks can say a ton of things 200mph, we don’t have to disect every word. The point with Bellingham was clear, it’s almost an impossible transfer for us right now.

I would love a few transfers of the Mane, Bobby or Robbo scale. To give a few examples. Hard to find sometimes and make it work as we did, but surely there are out there below Bellingham and besides Mount.

4 Likes

Klopp: “You have to realise what you can do, how much money you have and then what you can do with that. If a child says they want a Ferrari for Christmas, you say we cannot afford it and you cannot drive anyway!”

BWAHAHAHAAHAHA

I thought the child in that Klopp analogy are the football journos (and/or the fans that hang on their every word).

1 Like

if you cannot dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.

pretty much about 75% of the posts I see in many threads these days.

1 Like

Some of it brilliant bullshit though. We can’t all be Ferrari posters.

5 Likes

Have we ever? Neither VVD or Alisson, nor Suarez/Torres, had been hyped as much as Bellingham. Not old enough to remember transfer hype in 70/80s but imagine it was much less insane then

2 Likes

Correct.

In fact, it didn’t even exist. You’d open your newspaper and discover that a player had been signed. No fanfare; no fuss; no fucking about.

11 Likes

No internet back then.

We had tellytext and the tabloid sports sections. As I said the other day, transfer speculation has driven a lot of coverage on football since way before the internet

1 Like

No Way Wow GIF

There is a lot of hype around Bellingham, yes.

Bellingham is one of those rare talents (but already a very good player) who will be the most expensive midfielder while he’s still young. Certainly before he’s 22? Unless something bad happens.

But all of the mentioned ones came from clubs/teams which were at least a level below us. For all of them, Liverpool, no matter how good or bad we were at the time, represented a step up.

The players that came from other clubs or have been at such, with top CV’s, were mostly past their peak. The likes of Morientes and Thiago first spring to mind. There weren’t many others.

That’s in my following at least.

Sometimes when I have the opportunity to speak with an older Liverpool fan, I ask about context of certain signings in the past. What did it mean back then to sign King Kenny from Celtic for a British transfer record? I know Kenny was already a serial winner at Celtic, with still half of his career to go. But what was the level in Scotland back then, how was it viewed in football?

Even if in the past, transfers were much less international(?), so there were fewer opportunities. And in general, the sport wasn’t followed as detailed as today. More simple!

I’m aiming at the type of transfer, to use a sale of ours as example, when Juventus signed Ian Rush. Top player from a top club, winner, age of 25 so not too young and not too old, nor past his peak.

I’m not saying we’re missing something. A lot of the most expensive ones are not worth it in the end, or flop. Liverpool have had a lot of bad periods in modern times, we just couldn’t do such deals a lot of the time even if we wanted (and naturally, you do). Not every transfer at Real or Barca is a Bellingham or Mbappe or Ronaldo.

But it’s just interesting how rarely it happened at Liverpool.

1 Like

Not just that, but also no transfer window, so deals could be concluded anytime up to some point in March, can’t remember if it was a date or game number.

2 Likes

2 Likes

My father still uses that :joy:

That’s a blast from the past, I remember Ceefax on the tv.

Page 302 latest scores in the league.

3 Likes

shit!!!

the page changed,

now i have to wait 5 mins until it goes back that page!!!

1 Like

Ah but it built the tension up especially on a Saturday.

Yeah I watched a ceefax info page for hours.

Actually wasn’t 302 the football page and 316 the results page ?

2 Likes

Latest scores was 303
Fowler 2-0

2 Likes