Liverpool Coaching Staff

Looks a bit like Mike from Breaking Bad.

1 Like

Really hope this doesn’t spell the end of Achterberg…

Think about saying that three years ago.

I think this helps not just in goalie terms but we now have a insider at a national level for three of our players that should help relations.

3 Likes

Jürgen Klopp told Liverpoolfc.com:

“The idea is that, in our opinion, we have now in a lot of positions the best we can imagine.

“In terms of goalkeepers, it means we have Alisson Becker, who for us is the best goalie in the world. We have Caoimhin Kelleher, who we really think is an exceptional, exceptional player. We have Adrian, who has shown his qualities since he arrived here. Then we have Marcelo Pitaluga, then we have Harvey Davies, so we have five goalies in different age groups, which is great but we want to have even more of these guys.

“We want to build kind of our own philosophy in goalkeeping because we all agree it’s its own game, so that’s why we wanted to have another completely different view on it. We spoke to Ali because two of the best goalies in the world are Brazilians and so we found a solution with bringing in Taffarel as a really nice addition to our whole coaching staff. We really think it can give us just a different view again, to look at different things.

“We really want to really be a proper goalkeeping school in world football and so that’s why we’re bringing in a third very, very experienced goalkeeper coach.”

2 Likes

It’s what I thought of in the summer when we bought Pitaluga and people were wondering “why another young goalie?!”.

But I don’t think it’s just playing style, as Klopp says.

Obviously Achterberg’s been here for a long time and he’s very much involved in the monitoring/recruitment process.

Maybe the GK staff is now so good on and off the pitch that we see it as an opportunity to bring goalies in and through top training/some domestic cup games and loans, either get quality players (which is difficult at a top club like with when we have a top starter like Ali) or get deals like the one for Danny Ward. Though that one proved to be rare in last years.

Plus, maybe with Taffarel in, we also want to improve the ball playing capabilities of our current crop.

Chelsea are masters of having almost another senior squad they 95% of the time don’t count on, but they just shift them from loan to loan and when they feel the timing is right, sell. I hate the rule that a club can have so many senior players, spoke about it a few times already. I’d put some limitations immediately. But it is how it is and I understand if another top club like us wants to squeeze every opportunity.

We might do a bit of the same, though perhaps not to that extent. Yet.

1 Like
2 Likes

:rofl: He uses his arms more than his feet

1 Like

This puts to bed the questions about Achterberg.

2 Likes
1 Like

His assistant who has been in the role for 6 years stepping up to take fill the roll. It seems we have a ready made production line of staff ready to fill the role of those above them throughout the club, so losing any 1 particular person shouldn’t be to much of a blow.

3 Likes
4 Likes
4 Likes

Always interesting to read about some of the behind the scenes work that goes on to support the on-field coaching

4 Likes

This was such an interesting read. It is amazing how Physics can be applied to football, Steven Hawking would have been proud!

2 Likes

Our Pep doing the pre match press conferences for the domestic cups for me is a huge sign that he is favorite to take over from Klopp in the future.

5 Likes

Mmmm he shat the bed when he was manager though didn’t he. Don’t remember the club

Small sample size. I don’t think he should be judged for dipping his toes into management and not succeeding in that particular environment.

For me has big club ideas about football, that’s the environment he seems to know best. PSV, Porto, Liverpool. And also the little I’ve read about his short time as head coach, it seemed like he set the bar a little high for the players he had at his disposal, and then didn’t get the time to coach them to get there.

3 Likes

Ye the problem with that though is after the juggernaut that Klopp has built do you then hand the reigns over to the Co Pilot who has never successfully flown a plane on his own before?

I don’t know the answer.

Do we go Pep, Stevie or head hunt the number 1 manager at that time (obviously he needs to fit in at the club)

Yeah, I don’t know either.

Purely in terms of the football he stands for I think he would be good. I can’t know this, but I don’t think it’s a coincidence we’ve become better at building from the back as his influence has grown.

But then there are other big factors to consider as well.

My choice would probably be Nagelsmann, if that’s possible. When Klopp’s contract ends he’ll most likely have done three years at Bayern, so I’m hoping the timeline fits.

1 Like