Gini Wijnaldum (CM) - PSG

Official Home Page knows best.

LEGEND

8 Likes

If he was really trying to bend LFC over a barrel and demand parity of pay with the likes of VvD and Salah or he’d walk then yeah, fuck off. I’m on the clubs side, always. Players come and go.

Then yeah, if after all the negotiation and reported pay and contract length demands he really did then join Barca for less money on same contract length we’d offered then yeah that’s a bit of a slap in the face to us. If he was so desperate to leave us for Barca how could it be anything but an insult to LFC especially the mess they are in. But some sporting integrity they’re a massive club with a real appeal to Dutch players in one of the most respected leagues and a realistic contender for the CL each year.

But going to PSG? Doubt they’re a club close to his heart, can’t imagine he grow up being able to name their star players. PSG are almost certain to walk their league most years but despite getting to a final I doubt they are getting a CL in their trophy cabinet any time soon. Least respectable of the top leagues. The only reasons to be there are to pick up a massive paycheck, live a glamorous lifestyle in Paris or (for some) to add the French League title to their collection. Its a very cynical choice and he’s well within his rights to make it. But he won’t be ending his career with as much glory as if he’d chosen Juve, Barca or Bayern.

1 Like
2 Likes
5 Likes

@moderators @admins

Please merge this thread with this one

and shift the combined/merged thread to the Former Players and Managers section.

Gini Wijnaldum for LFC:

:red_circle: 237 games
:soccer: 22 goals
:dart: 15 assists
:trophy: Champions League 2019
:trophy: Super Cup 2019
:trophy: FIFA Club World Cup 2019
:trophy: Premier League 2020

What a player :raised_hands:

8 Likes

Jürgen Klopp hailed Georginio Wijnaldum’s massive impact on and off the pitch at Liverpool as he delivered a heartfelt farewell to the midfielder.

The Netherlands international will join Ligue 1 club Paris Saint-Germain when his Reds contract expires at the end of this month, it was announced on Thursday.

Wijnaldum departs Anfield after a five-year spell during which he was a fundamental figure in Klopp’s men’s success, including triumphs in the Premier League, Champions League, FIFA Club World Cup and UEFA Super Cup.

Speaking after Wijnaldum’s move to PSG was confirmed, the manager detailed the enormous impact the No.5 had on the club, not only as an outstanding footballer but as an inspiring person.

“As a team we said our goodbyes to Gini at Anfield after the final game of the season. There was the public farewell on the pitch with the guard of honour. But then a more private occasion also,” Klopp told Liverpoolfc.com.

“It was difficult for all of us because of how much this astonishing person means to the group. He’s been a big part of our lives for so long. There is nothing I won’t miss about him.

“I will miss the player he is like crazy – highest-quality ability, one of the smartest players I have ever had the privilege to coach. His contribution was off the scale, a manager’s dream.

“But as a person he’ll leave just as big a hole. A more giving individual you could not wish to meet. Gini is very strong and opinionated, but his motivation is only to help the team – always. His teammates adored him and respected him in equal measure.

“His smile lit up our workplace. He was a huge part of our beating heart.

“Of course, he is now someone else’s and on behalf of the team we wish him great success in France with PSG. It is no surprise he’s joined such an amazing club. Knowing his personality, he will fall in love with the city and the team – and they with him.

“Farewell, Gini: you came, you saw, you won the lot. You’re a Liverpool legend now and forever.”

13 Likes

To seal his legendary status, he has to convince Mbappé to join us.

Kylian: So Liverpool didn’t want to pay you more?
Gini: Nah; they’re saving all their money for you.

17 Likes

love this. :smiley:

1 Like

Agent Gini activated

3 Likes

This is one of the many reasons why I love Klopp. He didn’t have to say anything. He’d already given him a great send-off after the Palace game, but he goes to the trouble to emphasise again how highly he regarded the player and the person. It’s why players want to play for him. It’s also right in step with how the fans regard our ex-players, especially those who have served us well like Gini has. It’s rare to hear ex-players booed at Anfield (Sterling being the obvious exception). They are almost always well received. It’s why so many of them retain a special affection for the club long after they’ve left.

14 Likes

Maybe he has been sold on the challenge of winning the CL?

There are so many issues at Barca it is understandable why he might have given it a last minute swerve.

2 Likes

Some of the comments in here remind me of what it was like being a teenager in love that’s been dumped. Minds have gone, can’t help think about him, every decision he makes is now a bad one, his every word analysed to the 10th degree, before he’s called a cunt, then you cry saying you miss him, slag him off online for “chasing the money” or “not following his barca dream” blah blah blah

Oh fuck off. When he was here he wasn’t good enough, now he’s gone and we wanna get the microscope out, get on our highhorses, and decide that he’s a cunt.

IMO he’s a legend - he won everything of importance, let him be.

12 Likes

spot on. and social media is so much worse. I swear it’s a plague on society.

7 Likes

Gini probably did intend to go to Barcelona and was promised wage/pay parity by Koeman…
Unfortunately for both parties, Koeman has probably told him he won’t be in charge within 6months so best look elsewhere…

1 Like

Small ‘l’ is correct

Gini is going to love the Parisian lifestyle and the ease of winning league titles. And hate not ever doing anything else in the Champions League.

Disappointed to see the number of people having a dig. He gave everything here and was a core part of our success, for that he deserves nothing but praise and respect.

We don’t know why he didn’t sign another contract here so there’s no point speculating. What is clear though is PSG were clearly able or comfortable to give he something we weren’t. That’s just the way these things go sometimes and it doesn’t have to be because the player was greedy or the club was cheap. Sometimes expectations just don’t match up.

He leaves with a great legacy at the club. His name will be synonymous with that night against Barcelona, the greatest European night Anfield has ever seen, and many other important moments in huge games.

Good luck Gini and I hope we see you back at Anfield in the future.

7 Likes

One more thread I can put on ignore! Gone but never forgotten.