Liverpool vs Real Madrid, Champions League Final @ Stade de France, 8pm in the UK [7pm GMT]

Nah , Look at Thiago’s face when he limped off. He knows he’s not recovering in time for that.

Klopp might want to wait for the final physio’s clearance but he’s already planning his team strategies not including Thiago in the XI

When he confirms the absence I will accept it.
Until then I remain hopeful.

5 Likes

Cody looks far better in wrestling attire mind.

Well I assume it anyhow.

Just had a look at his wrestling attire (after his “comeback” of sorts).

Used to like him in the post ruthless agression era with orton and dibiase jr , but his ring attire now is a joke.

Fab, it doesn’t look good imo, I would have expected him on bench yesterday. He is either going to be bench fit or won’t be game sharp.
Thiago, when has he ever recovered quickly? It’s a shame, hopefully he make bench at least.

Midfield is an issue. Hendo and Keita to start , other than that it’s a toss up depending on fitness. I think Bobby might take third spot if Thiago or Fab can’t start.

VVD should be good to go. I don’t see any issues in defence, as long as we don’t give up as many long ball chances as we did yesterday. The only question is Matip vs Konate. Trent will need help imo. Most of RM attacks will be targeted down that side.

Attack is stacked. Mane penned in to start, Jota on bench, Diaz or Bobby, 95% Mo will start. Mane in form, Diaz in form, Bobby improving quickly, Jota and Mo out of form. Due to midfield, it might be:

Diaz Mane Mo
Bobby.

The only real issue I can think of is that we look so tired, and not just yesterday, it’s been a few weeks now. 1 more game, we need to find that energy.

I’d hold better hopes for Fabinho starting the game than for Thiago even making it in to the squad.

1 Like

Lot of reports suggesting its an achillies injury not a hamstring injury.

Achilles injury will take even longer. Probably till the start of season.

If it’s Achilles he has a chance to play through that if it’s not serious.

It’s the injury that’s plagued me the most, if it’s serious no chance but he would have been hopping off and he wasn’t. Inflammation perhaps?

If Pearce is reporting 50/50 it’s got to be more on that inflammation side than anything? Does he have a history of it? If so it’s probably the thing I had.

Recovery time is much longer and the chance of that recurring in mid match will be too high. hamstring is roughly faster to recover from providing it isn’t a tear.

If it’s inflammation you can play on it with enough pain killers (treatment, I used to take this pink pill for it though I assume this stuff is now more advanced), as I said if he stands a chance it can’t be a rupture or a serious strain. He also wouldn’t have walked off with a slight limp.

I’m going off 100% on what the journalists have said, if it was as serious as what I said then he would be out.

3 Likes

Depends what type of achiles injury it is.

1 Like

And what time zone it’s in.

5 Likes

As for Fabinho he has only missed a couple of weeks , why Klopp left him out I’m not sure and it wouldn’t surprise me if he goes with Firmino on Saturday if Fabinho and Thiago are missing.

VVD should be ok and would have probably got minutes if Thiago hadn’t gone off and we had won it comfortably within 60 mins.

The latest on Thiago is that it’s 50:50, and really depends how he responds to treatment today and tomorrow.

It’s not thought to be a serious one.

Normally wouldn’t be a fan of the patch up approach, but if there was ever a game to do what it takes to get an hour out of him, it’s this one. Jabs, dodgy inhalers, some of Pep’s horse placenta. Whatever it takes.

Same goes for Fab and Van Dijk.

9 Likes

5 subs if he is an option on the bench it’s an option.

1 Like

Can’t wait for this one. Tactically you would have to think Vinicius will be a threat behind Trent. Trent will be doing his thing to hurt them, and it’s how we will play it, but the danger is the gap in behind. To mitigate it somewhat I think Konate will get the nod over Matip, as he is faster.

Up front you would have to go with Diaz, Mane, Salah.

Midfield is where we have some question marks. Fabinho and Thiago. I can’t imagine both will start. Henderson and Keita should both probably play.

But strangely, young Harvey has such confidence that after being out for a bit, he came in and did really well at Southampton, and I half wonder if Jurgen might spring a surprise there? Then again, the tiniest mistake or missed pass will be punished, so it might not be the game for him.

It will be fascinating to see what we do.

1 Like

The key to this game is to play with energy and press Real all over the pitch… It’s what we were doing until that prick injured Mo. Start this game with intensity and get on top.

Another important element will be Robbo and Trent keeping it calm and retaining possession, when they are on song the red machine truly functions at rolls royce levels. This is especially important if Thiago is out.

If we let the likes of Kroos or Modric drop deeper and get time on the ball they will launch wave after wave of diagonals into our channels and I don’t fancy our chances. Whatever legs is needed in midfield to achieve that is who has to start.

Can’t wait personally, really think we are the better team overall, they might shade the experience but it’s an old team… Get in their faces and make their lives a huffing and puffing nightmare we should win.

Allez Allez Allez.

3 Likes

Matip is the thinking man’s CB. His technique is impeccable.

Think About It Football GIF by Liverpool FC

9 Likes

After being at virtually full strength for such a long time during the run-in it really is unbelievably bad luck that we likely lose our two most important midfielders for this. I’d be amazed if Thiago makes a recovery and even if Fab is fit he has a track record of being well off the pace on his return from any lay-off. For this game more than any other Klopp would have wanted Thiago/Fab/Hendo but alas that is just not happening.

As much as Keita has improved this year he has a habit of going into his shell in the really big games. I really hope that’s not the case on Saturday and he gives one of those performances that we all know he’s capable of. The choice then for me is between Milly and Curtis. You’d think Klopp would go for Milly’s experience but Curtis was very good last time out and this might just be the game when he finally announces himself .

Ali

TAA Matip Virgil Robbo

Keita Hendo Curtis

Salah Mané Diaz

3 Likes