Mohamed SALAH: 2023/24

1 Like

Of course they care, it’s the well being of their players as well.

Plus also, what we often ignore on these forums, is that international football is much more important to a lot of these players than we portray, think or hope. For some of them, it’s the proudest moments.

Especially for, let’s say, “weaker” national sides with stars like Salah, Mane, Keita. Surely we knew already the reality and potential at the time when we took decisions to sign them. Also all of them in a pretty short space of time.

We had the Matip situation where he wasn’t happy with certain things in Cameroon (and boy were we lucky with that, considering his body).

It’s very difficult to know exactly what happened in the cases of Matip and Keita par example. But even if it did, those are cases that are very rare.

1 Like

Why have it every 2 years though

1 Like

https://x.com/AnythingLFC_/status/1748134641553293427?s=20

the entitlement of club fans saying that a player engaging in competition for their country is detrimental to their career, just plain wrong and you should all give your heads a shake.

Should temper your statements with an asterisk to state has never been called up for their country in competition

5 Likes

Totally agree. I also think that some English fans don’t realise how important international football is in other countries, to the mood of the nation, especially in the developing world

5 Likes

In most of these countries, the majority of the best players are playing elsewhere. The standard of the domestic professional game is quite low, so it is the national team that matters. It is not the same as for a European fan who is able to watch at least some of their own best players playing in their own league.

4 Likes

in my teens I was a fairly decent talent in freestyle wrestling and was invited to spend a few years at Burnaby Mountain Wrestling Club up at SFU. when you’re training with Olympians like Dave McKay, Chris Wilson, Yogi Johal and Scott Austin (family friend) you get a good headspace for the dedication it takes to achieve that level of success. some of the most humble lads I’ve even spent time with, McKay was the best coach I have ever had the opportunity to work with.

Played footy against Davide Xausa in Metro League around the same time and he worked so hard on the pitch against us, you knew how hard he was working off the pitch. 31 caps for Canada, I ran into him on Commercial Drive a few summers ago and he said it was his proudest moment getting his first cap. Not playing in Europe.

NONE of them would take an invitation from the National Team lightly.

Bbc Uk GIF

Africa actually has a separate tournament played in the intervening years where teams can only pick players who are playing in the nation’s domestic league, but no one knows about it for pretty obvious reasons

3 Likes

https://twitter.com/LusbyJack/status/1748459585801736375

3 Likes

Fuck internationals I hope they go away and never return.

1 Like

Trust me.

Representing your nation is the biggest honour there is. I was the ball when that cunt Jonny Wilkinson kicked the drop goal to win the 2003 World Cup.

Despite the result, I have never been more proud to be Australian.

2 Likes

Some sources say it’s a back injury?!

1 Like

what does that mean “I was the ball”. the look on his face when he was kicking was like he was taking a shit, every time.

I was bartending in Mildura NSW with a pub half-full of english backpackers when that happened. I’ll never forget it. the two groups (Aussies and Brits) were going back and forth with their songs the whole day it was fucking epic.

We was robbed.

Still won’t return soon.

Egypt will finish their group 2nd and play Congo, Sambia or Tanzania in the round of 16 on Friday. Wouldn’t surprise me if they push Mo to be on bench for that one already but even without him they should make it to the quarter finals (February 2nd).

Why can’t the rest of the world bend to fit Europe’s schedule?

Seeing that Europe is the home of football, I think it’s a perfectly reasonable request.

1 Like

Europe doesn’t have a copyright on the game just because a bunch of drunks chased a pig’s bladder round some shithole in the Midlands a few hundred years ago.

1 Like