Neco Williams (RB) to Nottm Forest/Southampton

Guess that’s the confirmation done. Good luck to the lad.

7 Likes
4 Likes

A bit disappointed with this, we lose a good player, and a Liverpool boy. A pure LFC product. But it’s entirely logical. He wants and needs playing time for his further development, and Trent will always block his path into the first team at LFC. Any back-up player at right full-back will have that problem.

The price is fair, and Neco will probably be a good player for Nottingham. I’m looking forward to see how he does there. Such a high fee adds pressure on him to perform, but on the other side, it makes him an important player within their team, and that’s what he needs in order to strive.

All the best Neco, YNWA.

3 Likes

I thought he’d end up at Fulham seeing as he was on loan there.

Anyways, Good luck Neco!

Hoping Neco does well for himself at Nottingham Forest.

Kloppo on Neco’s departure:

“It’s wonderful news for Neco – a perfect move in many ways,” the boss told Liverpoolfc.com. “He’s a bright, exciting talent and he’s going to a club that is upwardly mobile in this moment.

“I am a big fan of their manager and he knows Neco from when he coached at our Academy. I think they’ll be ideal for each other.

“He’s achieved so much already but there is even more to come. Premier League and Champions League experience for us; a promotion last season with Fulham, who looked after him superbly, I must say; a contributor to our trophy wins for sure; one of Wales’ most important players and going to a World Cup.

“It’s not easy to let him leave if I’m being honest, but he deserves to be playing regularly and he’s earned the right to be ready for his international team for this tournament coming in the winter.

“I’m proud of the part we have played in his growth and development – I mean the entire club, not just as a first-team environment.

“Our Academy deserves a special mention. They produce so much talent and Neco’s progression is something they can be very proud of.

“We wish him success and look forward to seeing him continue on his journey, albeit now from a distance.”

4 Likes

And someone to add to my FPL side

:eyes:

:blush:

The development of this lad since he came into the U18s has been fantastic. First time I saw him play, not a chance did I believe he would become a first team level player and be sold for £17m.

In a way it’s a shame to let him go, but he’s not daft, he knows Alexander-Arnold is ahead of him and that he has two potentially better prospects in Connor Bradley and Ramsay behind him - that’s not even mentioning Isaac Mabaya who is also ridiculous.

We’ve reached a level where a player like Neco is surplus to requirements. That’s a great place to be.

5 Likes

It was clear early on that this was bound to happen in the next couple of years or windows. Something similar might happen with Kelleher soon. The first team’s success is the natural priority, in the meantime it’s fantastic if we can get a) players who deserve to be part of the first team or b) we sell them for good fees.

1 Like

Everything you’ve written about him makes me think Alexander-Arnold…

Completely different type of player with totally different playing style but Mabaya is a terrific prospect and one I am excited to see in pre-season.

2 Likes

Very good move for him and he’ll be playing under a coach that knows him well.

For sure he’s got a fight on his hands trying to help keep Forest up.

Wish him the best.

Is Mabaya going on the pre-season with the team ?

Also we had Camacho who could not get through as well. Remains to be seen if Mabaya becomes more of a midfielder rather than a RB.

If he’d been a left back, a centre mid, or a wide forward I think he’d still be here and a prospect we’d all be very excited about. But clearly he knows the score and so do we. He’s not ousting Trent and Trent’s not going anywhere any time soon. He’s too good to just sit on the bench and I think it’s great he has aspirations that means he’s putting his career progression ahead of an easy back up role at a top club.

Never seemed to be fully appreciated by our fans, probably because he wasn’t on the same level as Trent.

1 Like

Neco is a class act with the potential to get better,much as I hate to see him go,this move is best for him,so best of luck to the lad.
He needs to play and was a bit unlucky to run into TAA,who is only a young bloke.

1 Like

Great move for Neco and I wish him all the very best.

It has dawned on me that we aren’t there yet, but not too far apart from what Barca were able to do during their best times of La Masia: bringing in a couple of bright young players into the first team at the start of every season. See how they swim. If they can do it at top level, integrate them and eventually make important players out of them (Trent fits that description perfectly). If their path is barren by better players, sell them to other clubs for decent fees when they are ready, and wish them a good career (that’s Neco).

I hope that the club can go further along that path. It will reduce our dependence on bringing in near-ready-made top players to the club.

That’s interesting. I’m aware of Ramsay and Bradley, but not of Mabaya. He’s good?

2 Likes