Post match: Ajax v Liverpool (UCL 26/10/22 8pm)

Rode our luck first half but won convincingly in the end.
That’s what great teams do.

Zeroes to heroes in 4 days, amazing transformation.

I know FSG is skint but are they that skint???

Missed the match. How was Bajetic?

Unsurprisingly, it is helped by Nunez being there causing problems for the opposition!

First half we seems a bit lost times but we got our shit together and started to look more like the Liverpool we expect to see.
Put Ajax away comfortably in the end.
Bit hard form MOTM,Robbo looked pretty goodies someone else said Nunez would be hard to play against, once he has properly settled down, he could be a nightmare.Hope so!

1 Like

A 4-0 win vs Napoli will see us top the group so its not impossible and will be amazing considering the shite we have been putting out in the PL. Even if we had qualified, would be great to top the group

Actually thought we defended pretty well in the first half. The lad who waltzed through and hit the post was of course a clear opening but the Tadic one was not a huge chance in my book, he had Alisson bearing down on him and Gomez in a good position, so it was blocked away.

A number of times Ajax tried to come down our right hand side but some good defending forced them to go back and sometimes back as far the goalkeeper. Thats just solid defending, even though it was spoken about as “domination” of the ball by Steve McManaman.

We can play a lot better but on balance think the win was deserved.

5 Likes

Thing is after the Tadic I can’t remember much until the last ten and even then we defended quite solid, I liked to see Nunez back their at one point and seconds later he was pelting it down the left after one or two passes.

Also on that Tadic chance I’m sure VVD shirt was tugged, anyhow to me their biggest chance was the one I missed off the post.

Apparently we rode our luck but they had one on target and one on the post.

The first 35 mins were like the Rangers game where the home team threw the kitchen sink at us from the beginning hoping to get a goal or 2 early then sitting back and pray that we have left the scoring boots at Kirkby.
They were never going to play like that for 90min.
By the half hour they were already gassed.

We had a plan which was well executed. We rode our luck (so did they)

In the end we did not steal the scoreline.

Good job. Next.

2 Likes

Based on the first half Nunez was my MotM. Probably with Henderson. He changed position slightly in that first half and plugged a hole.

Second half, not so sure who gets my vote to be honest. I see the majority have gone for Elliot. Not my choice to be honest, despite his well taken goal. I still think he has a way to go to be really effective at this level. Basically, I’m not quite seeing what others are I guess

1 Like

Even after that miss? :thinking:

If Alisson had let a weak shot slip through his fingers, would he have been similarly forgiven?

2 Likes

Steady.

1 Like

That’s the nature of football. If you are a striker you can score three, miss an absolute sitter, and you’re a hero. If you’re a keeper, you can save three worldies, throw one in your net and you’re a villain.

3 Likes

As a former keeper, that’s so true. Same as a wicket-keeper.

Hey, you post every-day. He does it once and you criticise? Cynical……

:rofl:

1 Like

the issue with playing Elliot there is that he will cut inside every time.

Best bit for me was when Nunez popped up at CB and came away with the ball I thought wtf lol

3 Likes

Again a bit like celtic and rangers start at 100 mph and shoot their load and fade away. :flushed:

Robbo was my MotM. Looked back to his best, but he needs to play like this consistently. When he’s on form he adds so much to our all around game.

Not a great performance first 30 min, but overall this was one of few games this season where non of our players had a stinker. Long may it continue👍

2 Likes

Definitely a game of two half’s. Our defence was all at sea for the first thirty minutes until our goal just before half-time. Once that went in their heads went down and the early goal second half killed them off all together. Great to have qualified for the knockout stages with one game still to go with the up and down performance’s we’ve had this season. Gave Harvey my MOM for his work rate and a cracking goal.

1 Like