Post match: Ajax v Liverpool (UCL 26/10/22 8pm)

Yeah, because the rest were worse before that point. Our first goal was at the very start of the period where Ajax dropped off.

For me Nunez was the stand out up to that point and until he went off. I appreciate others will disagree and that’s fine. No problem

1 Like

As a former goalie I concur.

Best news other than the qualification is that Fabinho was running instead of jogging. He wasn’t fantastic or anything like that but it was the first time that he looked like a professional footballer instead of the Sunday League kind.

Other than that, excellent result to go with a good performance. Ajax deflated quite spectacularly especially after conceding, whereas we got better and better. Still don’t know what to expect from this team though. The inconsistency within the game and from one match to the next is wild.

:+1:

6 Likes

Question.

Are we able to rename our squad for this competition from the knockout phase? Thus including Naby? As UEFA allowed us to add Diaz from January despite playing his group games whilst at Porto.

Yeah I think Jürgen mentioned that. We should be able to add others to the new list once the group stages are done

Key part:

Ahead of the round of 16, clubs can register a maximum of three new players by 24:00 CET on 2 February.

1 Like

Not sure that’s a massive issue to be honest as it could argue that it gives space to Trent outside but I can’t quite put my finger on why I haven’t warmed to Elliot as some others on here. I can’t fault the attitude or effort etc. but there is no doubt we are defensively weaker n that side when he and Trent play. Trent has been a defensive nightmare this season to be fair but something just isn’t quite sticking with me somehow.

1 Like

For a 17 year old he was brilliant

1 Like
1 Like

Just want to beat Napoli regardless of score, not for finishing top, but to settle a score and show we can beat the in form team in this season’s CL, then go on to beat whoever topped their group and got us, hopefully a mega game too.

3 Likes

The Napoli game was similar in some ways to this game. Both teams started fast and had good opening chances - only difference being that Napoli scored. If Ajax had scored here with their early chances, I wonder how the game would have panned out.

Would we have come back from going a couple down?

Who cares I guess but the margins are so slight.

1 Like

I agree with the points you raise - apart from you not warming to Harvey - but I can understand your views.
I personally, have never felt that he always cuts in as @Walshy07 suggests but that maybe an over sight on my behalf. Our front 3 has predominantly been set up to have players playing on the opposite side to their natural kicking foot. Which as you say frees up space for the natural LB/RB to overlap and put crosses in.

Where I agree with you, is that I do feel we are weaker defensively with Elliott in, which is why I felt starting both Carvalho and him against Forest was a bad move. However, like you I can not fault his effort/attitude.

Harvey Elliott, is undoubtedly a very talented footballer and from all aspects very respected by the senior players, additionally he comes across as well grounded.
I really cannot see any reason for not warming to him but agree that some games may require a player with a bit more physicality. :+1:t2:

Massive improvement since he binned/cut the man bun

3 Likes

Imagine if he dropped the manbag.

Seems to be a popular item amongst our younger supporters.
Saw literally hundreds of them in Paris

Alternatively the man bag is what makes him better

1 Like

our right side has always been weaker. Opposition teams have been targeting it for years.

When Henderson was playing the right side of the three (Fab central, Gini left) it was the most stable in the last 5 years. Those two #8’s covered a LOT of ground on the wings when we had to transition to defence.

To be honest, most of the time when we conceded it was a ball over the top or a rare give-away into a counter. very rarely were we broken down when we were able to get our shape.

I credit Firmino for a lot of that, as he would track back into the central midfield area and pick up a body to keep the ball out to the wings.

Harvey has a huge workload ahead of him if he’s to be that right-sided midfielder, and Jones as well if he’s to be the replacement for Thiago. I can see it more in Harvey than in Jones, only because Jones takes too many touches and loses the ball in bad areas.