Post match: Arsenal v Liverpool (EPL 4/1/24 4.30pm)

also theres never been a cheaty about. Makes everything that bit harder to beat cheats.

1 Like

Probably the most realistic take in this entire thread.

Weā€™ve ridden our luck multiple times this season, winning while playing badly and coming from behind to win, sick of seeing that stat highlighted during our televised games.
Not saying we purposely rely on that kind of playing pattern, but that trend was always going to bite us in the arse eventually.
Itā€™s almost like weā€™ve needed a wake up call or half time bollocking from Jurgen to kick start the game.
Yesterday was amongst the worst Iā€™ve seen in a while, in a game where we really needed to be at it from kick off.

We will more than likely be fucked over by more ā€œcontrovertialā€ decisions before the season ends, making yesterdayā€™s inability to stamp our mark all the more damaging.

Yes weā€™re still top, but City are too close now, and I donā€™t see them dropping more point than us in the last third

1 Like

Also worth thinking about - No matter how bad we were - it took 2 errors to beat us.
They had run out of ideas - Ali had no saves to make 2nd half. No errors and we get a point which would be a good result.

I think thats the first defeat in about 28 games that we have lost when Mo has been injured/Afcon. Not a bad record that.

4 Likes

As much as this loss pains me, thatā€™s a quality headline. :rofl:

This however is pathetic, celebrating like theyā€™re doing a trophy walk round :rofl:

1 Like

The weird thing too was , regardless of how shit weā€™d been in the first half and the fortunate equaliser , for about the first fifteen of the second there only looked like one winner ā€¦ us. Then came the mix up between Virgil and Ali and that just seemed to completely knock the stuffing out of us. At the end of the day though it was probably a fair result , you just canā€™t play that bad and expect to come away with anything.

1 Like

Razor fine margins at the highest level.

Even thinner at the very top.

I take it that youā€™re talking about refereesā€™ hair.

Whilst itā€™s way to early to talk about the run in, the fixtures remaining against top 6 sides for us, city and arsenal are a little in our favour I think.

Arsenal big 6
Newcastle
Chelsea
Aston villa
Spurs
Man utd
Man city

Man city big 6
Chelsea
Man Utd
Liverpool
Arsenal
Aston villa
Spurs

Liverpool big 6
Man city
Man utd
Spurs
Aston villa

Far from over this title race

9 Likes

Does Trent know youā€™re done with him at RB?

I think if you are playing badly but still in the game you cant have that fuck up and expect to come back from it. It was clearly in Aliā€™s head hence the 3rd which went right through his legs.

1 Like

My issue with Trent yesterday was he had no interest in dealing with Martenelli - he was leaving Konate to deal with him - which is fine if Trent was busting a nut to cover at CB but he wasnā€™t.
He isnt fit yet but his effort was poor yesterday.

4 Likes

I donā€™t disagree.
If you happened to read my posts in pre match, a day before the game, I was saying that I expected us to field Bradley when Martinelli is on, and once he gets subbed, Trent can have his minutes and maybe some magic done.
But unfortunately Bradley had the situation and couldnā€™t be involved in the squad.

Our guys at the back arenā€™t that good at the short passing that is required

The problem is that it seems too late for him to move into midfield. If that move was going to happen, it would have likely been done already, but having played 8 seasons as RB, that seems to now be his position whether fans like it or not. At this point in time, I think the best youā€™ll get will be a hybrid RB/DM role.

The other thing to take into consideration is that it is the same area of his game that mistakes are leading to goals, which suggests to me that this is more down to Kloppsā€™ instructions and tactical set up exposing him rather than him not doing his job as if that were the case Klopp would have done something about it, and also Ali and Virg (add Hendo, Fab and Milner up til last season) would be bollocking him more often for not doing his job. Instead Klopp appointed him as Vice Captain. That is not something a manager would do if a player wasnā€™t following his instructions

Iā€™m trying not to be salty, but I just donā€™t think they were that good. We were really off it today, and I think they massively benefited from a) Domā€™s late absence meaning Grav had to step in b) The loss of Bradley (looking at the team shape Iā€™m certain he was starting) and c) Nunez carrying an injury. Those late changes, especially the Dom one, really affected our rhythm.

If we play at even 70% the level we hit against Chelsea, then I think we beat Arsenal with ease. The cards just fell really nice for them.

For Ali and Virgil thatā€™s probably a once or twice a career mistake. The red card (totally ridiculous) then killed the game. There was nothing ā€˜statementā€™ about that win at all. They are still going to struggle to score goals, and itā€™s going to be too much to expect both Liverpool and City to fuck up and let them in.

As for their post game antics, weā€™ll thatā€™s just embarrassing. Winning that game means they are still third favourites, but maybe slight less so than before. I wouldnā€™t have allowed that had I been in Artetaā€™s shoes. Itā€™s small time.

8 Likes

More importantly, does Klopp?

The exchange when Trent replaced Bradley against Chelsea speaks volumes to me.
Bradley had just put in an amazing performance and Trent barely acknowledged him.
Another Gerrard in the making, loves the smell of his own shit

Mascot replaced Klopp in that conversation :blush:

On another day with Mo for Jota, Nunez for Gakpo, Dom for Grav and Bradley for Trent we beat them. 4 incredibly important players that give so much.

There isnā€™t THAT much between the 2 sides, but strongest XI v strongest XI I think we beat them 7, maybe 8 times out of 10.

Arsenal are and pretty much have all season been rolling with their first choice XI.

1 Like

Mmmm.

Interesting, has @Mascot let slip a secret the club were not yet ready to announce? :thinking:

Iā€™d like to offer my congrats to him. Fantastic work mate