Post match: Arsenal v Liverpool (EPL 4/1/24 4.30pm)

But how can theirs be a yellow as Taylor never even gave a foul, fuck knows why it was a blatant foul

Darwin is a marked player by the refs. Harry Kane is not “that type of player” so gets the benefit of the doubt. Completely opposite with Darwin.

2 Likes

Neither do I, we had a shitty day, we started with two guys who normally don’t start together in matches like this. TAA, Thiago and Robertson who are rusty after injuries and Becker chose this match to produce two howlers.:see_no_evil:

A fit Endo will be back next week so perhaps Mac Allister can finally play a bit more upfront.

I’m still optimistic and that is not what I normally am … :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Secon goal sucked the energy out of a team that had little energy to spare…

I go back to the Chelsea game and Klopp’s comments about the team being ‘knackered’ in the dressing room.

Never good to lose, but if you are, best to do it now.

And I’m not really concerned about City going top. We just need to recover quickly…

We all knew Arsenal was gonna be flying out of the gate, they played well and had moments, but I felt we gift wrapped the game for them with those 2 second half goals.
For the first time in a long time, our midfield really let our D line exposed today. Too many easy balls play through our midfield by arsenal today. Macca was fine, but Jones and Graverberch was not good enough. We get hounded off the ball too easily when we had possession. It’s a pity Darwin couldn’t start, because his pace down the flank would’ve open up the game more for us in the first half. It’s too bad Bradley couldn’t play, otherwise I think Martinelli wouldn’t have such an easy time on the left. Trent is still not 100% and defense isn’t his strong suit. I feel going forward in these big games, Trent should play in midfield and let Bradley handle the RB duties.
Ali and VVD are so good for us the whole season, mistakes are bound to happen so I wouldn’t put the blame on those two. Sometimes that’s how it goes with luck. Although, if we didn’t allow them the go ahead goal I felt the game would’ve been won by us or a draw.
It’s gonna be Win or go home against City now next month, and this title race will go down the wire.

YNWA

3 Likes

Wow, that was pretty shit. Our subs were not very good as well.

Alisson was woeful in the second half and had a very poor communication with VVD. VVD looks not as arsed as well and should thump it out if he is not sure of Alisson coming out. TAA was terrorised all night by Martinelli and didn’t bothered to bust a gut or two to get back at times until he got off. We missed Bradley’s hard work.

LFC’s midfield was passive as fuck.

Gravenburch was really anonymous until he realised he could pass forward and somehow found Diaz for LFC’s non-shot on target. I really wonder what’s the point of getting Gravenburch that looks like Jones a couple of years ago in terms of development.

Jones looked really tired and looking at the bench, LFC only had a Thiago that just resumed full training and Harvey Elliott ( which tbh hasn’t showed that he belonged to any top 3 teams in the Ligue 1 much less the PL) who ended up making a shit cross that an arsenal defender cleared so easily and led to Konate fucking up his own night.

Alexis looks knackered as well. Was caught a few times initially. Had to drive the ball himself when Gravenburch looks incapable of doing so.

All in all, it was a perfect storm of a family tragedy, a run of shits and missing players from internationals that gave the Emirates the perfect last taunt to Klopp.

1 Like

That’s because Klopp lets him get away with it. Back when he first made his breakthrough he would never dare not even try as he does consistently now. He was never the best at marking but not even making an effort is unacceptable.

1 Like

Still top of the PL…but socks have to be pulled up…we need to to be airtight from now on…

8 Likes

Well You all know how I feel about MO but this week we had nothing to complain about Tierney, Brooks,Taylor and Coote.

So, now I need a double Oban … :joy:

Flat out every game

Sounds like you’ve had enough !!

I think you learn this from a young age. Whether it’s a corner or freekick or from open play - if the goalkeeper comes out he has to clear it / it’s his responsibility.

But it was a bit unlucky here. Martinelli gave Virgil a slight push and Ali kicked Virgil.

Anyway, shouldn’t make too much out of it.

Have to win all our games now, can’t see it but let’s see what happens.

Because its Taylor.

My view while watching this game is that Klopp and co decided to play Trent differently in the first half. He did not take part in play out from the back at all - Joe Gomez was tasked with going inside into midfield.

Gravenberch should have made himself more available when Alexis took the ball. This would have made one twos possible with Trent hugging the touch line.

When the second half started better, I found it strange that Trent was taken off - he should have shifted into midfield alongside Alexis (with Gomez now at RB and Andy at LB).

We’re still top of the league - need to string some wins together again with Shitty now with games in hand.

1 Like

Gomez was caught like Trent 3 times when he went to right back maybe its what Klopp has the right back doing not the player himself.

I will never understand how Trent is always the scapegoat. One of the best footballers in the world. Poor tonight but far from the worst. Maybe because he is a local lad? Similar in Ireland how we love to hate our own

6 Likes

I said it in a worse tone than yours and got called a WUM for suggesting TAA needs to get his head down and go back to the basics of having a high work-rate especially at FB or learn from the experienced pro like Thiago and Macca on how to be a CM.

Not right from the start really. Injuries have determined today’s result. The usual subs were on the field from the start and offered…nothing. Second half we showed more spirit but Arsenals defence was better than usual. Low marks for our press, our passing and calmness around goal…
Bizarre moments from both sides for the goals but we were worse….

1 Like

xG Arsenal 3.52 - 0.41 Liverpool

This is mainly due to the two open goals though.

1 Like