Post match: Arsenal v Liverpool (EPL 9/10/22 4.30pm)

Nunez needs to work on his runs off the shoulder. Too many offsides. No problem with close calls. In fact, that should be encouraged.

But he was often a few yards off.

Just didnā€™t think it was a penalty along with Owen

NĆŗƱez is my MOTM

2 Likes

Not read this yet but my thoughts on the game are that we didnā€™t deserve to win, any team that defends like that doesnt. Whilst saying that i still think the ref cost us at least a point. They have to explain why that wasnā€™t an handball because i just cant see the reasoning behind it. Surely the outstretched arm means that any other excuse goes out the window.

On the team itself, not going to pick on the any player in particular but how hard is it to retrain the team back to the way we played last year? Darwin can play left wing anyway. Even if Klopp decides Darwin has to play we should just shoehorn him into Manes old position or in place of Mo (God knows whats happened to him) and keep to the same way we used to play.

Now Konate is back the high line MAY work better as heā€™s a lot faster than Matip but for days when heā€™s out we need to play a few yards deeper. One last point, i thought Arsenal outpressed us, when did we stop pressing? Is it just tiredness? If so we need to start with the fittest players which means Elliot and Bobby just now,

Credit has to be given to arsenal. We didnt just choose to fuck around. We were pressured into it by a team who were brave enough to put a lot of players that far forward putting pressure on the ball. This is the stuff that characterized our performances for years, and today it was Arsenal doing it while we were not. There was a moment in the first half that exemplified itā€¦Nunez had a half chance from the right side of the box and got a good shot that the keeper parried back into the middle. Partey picked it up and had the time to settle, turn and pick his pass. I know our game has evolved, but when weā€™re unable to pressure that ball weā€™re simply not us and the rest of the game weā€™re playing (see high line) is exposed.

3 Likes

Our DM and CMs are not what they are anymore. Our usual game plan is burning through our midfield.

Our performance is more decisive than any refereeing performance. Wasnā€™t like we were threatening to score with wave after of wave of pressure, not allowing them out of their half. 2 passes and they were running at our defence.

Their second goal was a highlight. God awful free from Kostas, hitting it about 40 yards across the pitch, swinging away from their goal. Thiago doesnā€™t stop the attack and weā€™ll the less said about Trent then the better.

2 Likes

The way I saw it, Thiago and Henderson were essentailly against three, and in the first half they came out on top.

Gomez was good and actually showed a bit of fight and aggression.

11 Likes

This is the worst team play Iā€™ve ever seen for LFC in the six years Iā€™ve been a fan. This team sucks plain and simple. Klopp needs to go as heā€™s ineffective and inefficient right now. Thereā€™s no to little offense. Our strikers canā€™t hit the net and canā€™t get into a good position when fed the ball. Four forwards and minimal points! Come on! Our defense is a disaster with so many holes itā€™s unreal. Forget about any trophies this year and start worrying about relegation. Iā€™m just gobsmacked!

1 Like

Both teams had literally the same formation. How did it even happen???

Without bringing the Arsenal soft penalty into it, looking at the ā€˜handballā€™ that we didnā€™t get in isolation, did you think it was there? Unnatural position but literally a metre away from the kicker?

Now, you see guys, I am not the knee-jerk one.

2 Likes

Me too ā€¦ are you for real or what ?

1 Like

Itā€™s not a one or the other situation. It can be a shit performance along with dire officiating.

We were crap, and yet should have got a point but for the subjective ref decisions favouring Arses. `

2 Likes

Btw, having the inevitable 300 page post match thread being completely about the refs as a distraction from our actual problems is smart.

3 Likes

Me too. I am worried now. Our midfield is awful. We have an injury prone Thiago, we donā€™t have good runners, God knows what has happened to TAA, Mo, Virgil and Matip.
Klopp needzto be ruthless now!

1 Like

And the TAN 2022 Over-reaction of the year award goes toā€¦

8 Likes

However Thiago struggles playing 3 games in a week and I always worry with how he plays he will get injured

We didnt buy anyone in the summer for midfield and it shows.

We have the 18th oldest squad in leagueā€¦and it shows

6 Likes