Post match: Atalanta v Liverpool (EL 18/4/24 8pm

Really good first half. Second half Atalanta got their shit together in the second half, and we had no answer to their man marking press on our defenders.

I am just baffled why, even with Nunez and Gakpo on, and with time ticking away we were still fannying about on the edge of our own box looking for a way through that simply wasn’t there.

They had a very clear plan to stop us play out and it was working. We had big lads on the pitch who are more than capable of winning 50/50s and we never looked for it.

I got absolutely sick of seeing Alisson stood on the edge of his own box, looking for a passing option, time ticking away like death by a thousand tiny cuts. Long ball Ali for fucks sake.

I thought the refereeing was awful by the way. He let them waste time shamelessly, he let them continually break our rhythm with cynical fouls, he waved away a definite red card. And fuck knows how you look at that game an the antics of their keeper and conclude three minutes of added time is acceptable

Some absolutely wild takes in the in match. Go for a fucking walk round the block lads. It’s embarrassing. You’d think we been given 70 points in a fucking raffle the way some of you go on.

5 Likes

Perfect start. Looked up for it. Got the goal. Created chances. Fluid positions made it difficult for Atlanta. HT 0-1 lead was fine.

Second half, Atlanta changed their set up to have more pressing our build up from the back. And we never found a solution to that.

Ref allowing Atlanta to make it a stop start game in the second half. Took him till the 84th minute to make his first gesture for them to speed up the restarts, then continued to allow them that.

Salah with the big chance. Story of the last few games with the finishing. Darwin early in the first leg was the pivotal momnet. 1-0 up at Anfield would have seen a different game. Apart from the finishing, I thought Mo did really well when he came deep and central.

The handball when Salah put Diaz through - the ref didn’t even want to give a yellow, never mind a red for a blatant handball. Atlanta played well, and were in tune with the ref letting the game flow, so could put the action of slwoing the game down. Over the two legs, we just weren’t good enough.

A win and clean sheet at least. A further three away games in the Prem now, starting with Fulham on Sunday. Goo all out, and see where we end up.

3 Likes

Yup after that I welcome the new goalie rule.

1 Like

So, it’s clear nothing works. No more shenanigans, time to get literal…
Next game is vs Fulham away. On Sunday. Let’s win.
There!
No more smash them blah blah or 1-1 superstitious bollocks, I’m on @cynicaloldgit camp for the rest of the season…and I want to hear 6 times “never in doubt” after the game.

6 Likes

To be fair,it’s not all on him. We were not providing much for the forwards tonight. One chance is never enough to overturn the first leg. We just ran out of confidence and momentum as this season progressed

Having made my wee sad trombone joke and digested what was a bit of a non-performance, I just want to inject a bit of positivity because there’s a lot of bedwetting atm (not so much on here - i’ve just made the mistake of looking at Twitter).

Liverpool are two points off the top of the most competitive league in the world behind a state-backed juggernaut with just six games to go.

It’s time for the fans to get fully behind these boys as we end the season. Peter out, my arse. COYR :facepunch:

5 Likes

The Fulham game will be absolutely crucial. We need to win that one. If we can stay in the race, then we’ll be on level terms with Abu Dhabi and Arsenal as far as recovery time is concerned. Playing these Thursday night games takes a lot of energy away.

I’m maybe clutching at straws, but I can still see us finishing the season strongly, but for that, we need to be rock solid at the back at Fulham on Sunday, and take at least one chance. Three points, and then we’ll take it from there. Fingers crossed!

7 Likes

Take shit like this to Twitter, you absolute fucking melt.

11 Likes

Ali to get a double yellow card sending off for holding the ball 6.2 and 6.1 seconds. Then the Prem refs will relax their interpretaion after the good process.

My favourite take is still that we are at risk of being overtaken by Spurs.

As a 32 year old man I can only admire the athleticism it takes to kneejerk that hard.

@GermanRed will you save this for the end of the season?

We’ve scored three goals in the last four matches, two from penalties and one from a corner

2 Likes

It’s 10 seconds isn’t it?

Tosser

1 Like

Oh how I get so mad about that Spurs game, we’d be top now…not even mentioning other games like Arsenal etc…that Spurs game, especially with the apology that followed, gets on my tits…

2 Likes

I don’t understand why the ref didn’t give a red card to the defender who handled the ball and hindered that way Diaz to be clean through on goal. A massive error!

1 Like

You can’t add time on for their goalie holding the ball as the ball is still in play, what you can do is enforce the 6 second rule and award an indirect freekick to us

1 Like

Welll … now we can concentrate on the league :joy:

We lost first match because we failed to understand how to cope with man-to-man marking and hoofed long balls by the keeper to get out of our half.
We’ve failed to get necessary result in the second match because we failed to prepare the team how to cope with man-to-man marking and again hoofed balls by another keeper to get out of our half.
Alisson with 105 touches, second behind Konate with 106.

Tactically we’ve failed in both matches and other than penalty goal - not sure what was the tactical plan for today to help the team to get the necessary win. Unfortunately for me - our European exit is on the coaching bench for this tie.

First match
Screenshot-2024-04-19-at-00-27-31

Second match
Screenshot-2024-04-19-at-00-27-49

Average per 90 for the season
Screenshot-2024-04-19-at-00-28-47

2 Likes

Because he was crap.

1 Like