Post match: Atalanta v Liverpool (EL 18/4/24 8pm

The angry bit wasn’t about you. If so I would have written that. It’s just some resort to insane hyperbole when they are disappointed, forgetting how the last decade has changed the fortunes of the club, and so only a general note.

1 Like

They really need to bring back 2 old blokes taking the piss out of football.

Yeah will be really interesting to see if Klopp has got extra out of players that actually aren’t that good, or if we truly have a quality squad that can compete for titles

2 Likes

IMO we have overachieved this season. A completely new midfield that would need bedding in was my initial take. Fast forward 6 months and we were still fighting on 4 fronts, sometimes with a depleted team augmented by our younger squad members, who performed admirably it has to be said. Come mid April we seem to have run out of steam - two poor results in a demanding season and all hell seems to have broken loose. Sell A,B and C should never have been promoted to the first team. Christ on bike, 2 months ago we were waxing lyrical over these players. For a relatively poor club, compared to other teams, we have smashed this season. Just look where Chelski,Man U and Spurs are. There are many reasons to be cheerful going forward. We may not have Arab riches but we fucking punch above our weight. .

3 Likes

Not a criticism by any means. But for the first time since Klopp announced his departure i see clear signs that we need a new direction.

New game model and new motivation.

This reminds me of the season a couple of years ago, when our boys were in for all 4 trophies, but ended up running out of gas, and only taking the two ‘lesser’ chalices home. The team appears to be on fumes at the moment, but I a hoping that history repeats, and we end the season with two trophies again, but this time taking the league cup as the second.

2 Likes

I know it wasn’t about me, I just mentioned what makes me angry

1 Like

How did Jones and Salah stay on for so long, I don’t know…

Look on the bright side, Thursday nights are done and we can concentrate on the league.While we need points dropped elsewhere, at the moment it is doable starting with Fulham,
Hope the ordinary days of this season are finished now, just the League to win!

1 Like

The league game against Utd was disappointing not just for the result but for the almost aimless way we allowed the last 15 mins to pass us by. Mo’s equalizer should have produced a response that had Utd quaking, but instead the game petered out with us barely able to put two passes together thereafter let alone sustain a 15 minute season defining siege on their goal.

Today the entire second half felt like an extended repeat of that. The first half was never great, but was a foundation to build on…we just didn’t and the longer it went on the more confused we looked

2 Likes

Honestly that was about what I expected. Atalanta set up very well and to my memory we seem to struggle against 3 at the back, we certainly did in the first leg.

Still think Jots should be up top, he’s a poacher not a winger.

1 Like

we’re gonna win the league. we’re gonna win the league. no c*nt will believe us but we’re gonna win the league!

2 Likes

Bullied for 90 minutes by a team who wanted it more than us, they won every challenge and loose ball.
Misplaced passes all night, with no plan how to pass round a team pressing hard.
Haven’t checked the stats, but Allison probably had double the touches of most of our other players.
Konate and possibly Gakpo are the only outfield players who deserves any kind of mark out of 10.

My optimistic tendency is in fucking tatters after watching that.
Fulham and Everton will likely have watched that and will be rubbing their hands

1 Like

What I found alarming aside from the huge amount of misplaced passes or inability to make headway in the second half, was we were all over the place, literally. Could not see what shape we were meant to be in or out of possession.
6 games to turn an overachieving season into one that we will cherish forever but we are running out of games to get out of this funk.

I consider the Europa as below the FA Cup and maybe even the League Cup.
That said I had hoped Klopp will complete his haul of trophies in The Champions Wall.
Sadly that is not to be.

CLEAN SHEET!!! :partying_face:

4 Likes

…Is that your morning incontinence check ticked off then @Flobs :wink:

Would have liked another final of course but good riddance to Europa. I really can’t see the point of that also ran’s competition. Thursday night borefest as far as I am concerned. If we are to have any hope of winning the league now then this exit can only help.

I only hope the players have not given up hope though.

1 Like

Our forwards have gone to devastating to badly off form.

Salah - not been same since injury. He passing is poor and snatching at chances.
Nunez - I just dont think he is good/consistent enough. He isnt to blame for last night but hes far to wasteful in front of goal.
Jota - was on fire before his injury - wont see best of him until next season. Our best finisher but also our best at getting long term injuries.
Gakpo - starts well, fades badly and too reliant on his right foot. Always cutting back on to his right.
Diaz - tons of running, probably more than he needs to and probably our biggest threat at the moment. Took him a while to come back from the injury but he isnt as lethal as say, Mane, the man he replaced.

5 Likes

Yeah, nah. It’s a European trophy that shits over the league Cup; it’s also better to win (although obviously better to be in the CL) than the FA Cup.

2 Likes