Post match: Benfica v Liverpool (UCL 5/4/22 8pm)

Yep u can see who they secretly support…backstabbers…

A little subtext I was enjoying on DAZN. Just about every time Everton got the ball, the commentators found themselves speculating about Everton relegation.

4 Likes

We’ll get away with a half like that against the likes of these but we won’t against City. Midfield lost all control until late in the second half. Players not completing simple passes. Mistakes from Virg, Konate and Ali at the back that we were fortunately only punished for once.

But, that being said it’s the away leg of a CL quarter final. It’s the kind of game we so rarely used to get to play and we’ve come away with a two goal lead. You know we’re getting a bit spoiled when you’re picking the negatives out of that.

Would have been nice if Jota had got a fourth at the death but despite losing control over the game for a good chunk of the second half I don’t remember them having a shot in anger bar the goal we gifted them.

Fingers crossed Fabinho’s heads okay for Sunday.

5 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

I’m sorry you had to see this @Maria

8 Likes

It’s better than Matt Le Tisser and Paul Merson.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t eat anything cooked by Merson.

2 Likes

His hot knife specials are a thing to behold, they say

What, meth?

1 Like

They could pick someone who didnt talk as if females dont understand football…we do…we watch…we go thru the ups and downs…we follow our team…we offer our opinions…we curse…we celebrate…we do have a bit of football knowledge…anyway…time to wash the pots…:rofl::rofl::rofl:…sorry do a bit of baking…it was a cookery show wasn it…:moon_cake::moon_cake::moon_cake:

4 Likes

Probably because he was brilliant. Tore their RB a new one in 1st half

(I voted for Diaz though)

1 Like

Yeah, I thought Robbo was excellent tonight. Didn’t get my vote as I thought Trent, Naby and Diaz were better, but Robbo was better than most tonight.

1 Like

Diaz superb tonight.
Made up he got his goal
Had every right to go for goal with that header too but unselfish and picked the option that guaranteed a goal.

3 Likes

Had a solo female announcer on the Paramount + broadcast in tue USA. Former player but I didn’t catch who. I found that somewhat disconcerting because I kept thinking how absolutely difficult it must be to sit and talk out loud by yourself for 2 hours.

Thought she was as good or better than most I’ve heard mind….

3 Likes

Strange how we go from absolutely brilliant to looking like a Sunday league side so quickly. Not for the first time either. Maybe it’s complacency but it happens far too often.
That said we could have been 5 up at half-time but were wasteful again.
Salah’s worst game in a Liverpool shirt coincided with one of Keita’s best. Thought he and Diaz were both excellent and Thiago had a good first half.
Just hope we try and put the tie to bed early in the 2nd leg and not fall between two stools like we did against Inter.

7 Likes

I was listening to the same broadcast and thought the same thing. Both that she was doing a good job and also, “why the hell is she having to work alone on the broadcast?”

Then about midway through the second half it seemed another female commentator joined her for the coverage.

1 Like

Id put it down to two things. We often overlook opposition teams as being cannon fodder, when they are much better. Secindly; when someone makes a mistake (Konate tonight) combined with the loud atmosphere that brought means its natural for humans to get a bit nervy.

They got through it without conceding another, saw the game out, and eventually got the third. Thats the Champions League.

As you say, on another night, we are five up at HT.

Lets hope the shooting boots are on for Sunday.

2 Likes

Obviously it doesn’t excuse our performance on the weekend, but like all sports, football is a two sided game. Benfica isn’t chopped liver, and their 65,000 fans certainly wouldn’t have been thinking that either.

Our goal conceded certainly was a mess from start to finish, but that was the catalyst that got the crowd and their players back into it.

The momentum they got from that and the crowd put additional pressure on our players and made for a nervous 10 mins until the subs calmed it down.

But this is all expected from a QF CL game. Rarely are you going to win one 7-0. And nor should it be like that. But still we showed our quality with a two goal lead to take into the second leg.

6 Likes

we are like jekyll and hyde these days , brilliant at times and extremely poor at times, this applies both defensively and offensively . Mane scored but in fairness he was very sloppy , salah is really concerning and his form has dipped .
luiz is now the difference for us. we need big 95 minutes on sunday

Why can we never win 3-0. Now they have that all important home goal … Oh wait that’s not correct is it?

1 Like